Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6457 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;518403
So?  

That's my problem not yours. :rolleyes:

Well you called it a problem not me but dot take it personally.
a1200 060

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518446
Well you called it a problem not me but dot take it personally.

Not personal at all. ;)

It is a problem but one I am willing to live with. Each device has its compromises.

It works better than my blackberry so I'm happy.

Sorry if I came across as rude.

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;518409
So maybe that is one of several reasons the original poster's company went with Blackberry.

Like most companies, they went with the BlackBerry because it's a de facto standard in corporate messaging environments. In industries with strict controls--finance, medicine, etc.--manageability and security trump everything else. (Nothing's perfect, of course, but....)

Apple markets itself as anti-corporate (in the cool, hip sense) and doesn't do much to make their gear play well in enterprise environments.

Regarding batteries, I'm sure Apple understands exactly how their choice of battery impacts their bottom line, up to and including loss of reputation due to failures. They're not amateurs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:46:11 AM by Trev »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Good Lord this is complicated.  I'm about 97.6374% convinced that I'll go with Virgin $100 a month gets me 5 GB of data + $20 for the phone (32 GB 3GS).  Anyone have experience with Virgin Australia's coverage?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
Made the jump to the iPhone yesterday and gave my LG Voyager to my Son for part of his birthday present this morning.  Now to learn how to use this iPhone!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
Quote from: Trev;518219
I hate to knock my iPhone again, but I get amazing battery life out if my Nintendo DSi. The iPhone doesn't even last a day on standby....

I saw a significant drop in battery life since OS3. On the other hand, I've also found that disabling WiFi and 3G increases the stand-by time quite a lot. I went on holiday to the Alps, was listening to music on the way down to London (a good 3 hours) and then only used the phone for calls after that with very occasional WiFi use in McD's, maybe once every a day. It lasted 5 days without a charge. Am I satisfied? Not particularly, I would want a better battery life when I actually use it as a smart phone but this means that if you use it as a phone you can actually get quite good times. And it also means that it's no worse than my P990i that used about as much battery to do less.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:31:10 PM by AmiGR »
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;518357
Sorry but is worse, i dont know the capacity on mah but compared with psp, nds, and  many more gadgets its worse (all in best charge conditions).

Well, I do. It's a 3.7V battery providing 1150mAh. The Sony Ericsson P990 comes with a BST-33 950mAh battery and the DSi comes with a TWL-003 850mAh. What that means is that the iPhone just uses more power, not that its battery is smaller, it isn't. Scanning for 3G uses battery, GPS uses battery, WiFi and Bluetooth use battery, the CPU for all of the above, etc. Disable those features when not needed and the battery life is quite OK. I will admit that it still is not perfect but as I said in my previous reply, I've managed to get 5 days out of it and I usually get 2-3 with normal usage. If I play a lot of games and browse the web on 3G all day it does drain the battery quickly, it'll last just over a day.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline persia

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »
Ok, I'm going with Virgin, I'll be getting a shiny new white 32GB 3GS as soon as the boat carrying the precious cargo of live iPhones arrives from China!  5 GBs should be enough, but at two bucks a meg(!) overage, I gotta find an app that cuts all internet when the magic number of 5 Gb is reached!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
Do you still have to have an x86 Mac to develop for the iPhone ? I thought that was stupid... Other than that, I normally don't care much about these kinds of devices, they're too small and cumbersome to use as a computer, with which I already spend too much time with..
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline kickstart

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 09:09:11 PM »
Quote from: Jose;518726
Do you still have to have an x86 Mac to develop for the iPhone ? I thought that was stupid... Other than that, I normally don't care much about these kinds of devices, they're too small and cumbersome to use as a computer, with which I already spend too much time with..

Need a x86 mac (PC) to develop for iphone? windows or liux is not allowed? apple and his things, reality of apple is like that episode of the simpsons.
a1200 060

Offline persia

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
You need an MS Windows computer to develop for Windows Mobile, that and a lot of panadol.  Horrible things they are.  

It OS X on the iPhone, simplified, but still OS X.  THe file structure is slightly different, but there are symbolic links where you'd expect to find the folders.  I forget where Applications was, but there was a link in root, so it didn't matter.

Quote from: kickstart;518754
Need a x86 mac (PC) to develop for iphone? windows or liux is not allowed? apple and his things, reality of apple is like that episode of the simpsons.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
@persia

It's OSX but they could've made things a little easier for developers with PPC Macs.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline kickstart

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
Yes, they forget all ppc users using osx too but if m$ make it is bad, if apple make it is "different", i dont understand its the same, no?
a1200 060

Offline quenthal

• Show only replies by quenthal
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
I've been long time HTC & Nokia user (I currently have E71 as main phone and E90 laying somewhere).When comparing to BlackBerries or MS phones, I'd most definately take Nokia... But when it comes to iPhone....

... since my co-worker bought his iPhone year or two ago, I've been wanting one as well! It is the smooth UI and excellent (touch)screen which makes it so nice little machine and relatively intuitive to use.

My E71 may have better battery life, and specs in non-game area are quite similar. I've even become used to it's calculator looks and it's small buttons (which makes typing quite fast). GPS/Camera etc. feels better than those in iPhone, but they are more than adequate in iPhone too - and when you add to that the excellent web browser and how it works in iPhone - it simply works! I know what my next phone will be!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:09:40 PM by quenthal »
A4000/CSPPC&060

Offline persia

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
PPC turned out to be a mistake.  Sitting in 2009 it's easy to make a judgement and say "only an idiot would choose PPC architecture," but Apple made the decision in March 1994 and it looked like a real alternative back then, it wasn't until last last century/early this century that PPC became a real dead end.  

But. How do you admit that it was a mistake and hold onto your declining market share?  Introduce a new OS designed for intel, but release it on PPC hardware and then when the OS is complete, get rid of the old architecture!

Of course it was made easier by a little mp3 player with a cute name.  Mac sales are booming, 1 in 10 personal computers sold in the US is a Mac.  There are already more intel based Macs than either PPC or Motorola based ones.  Apple survives on pushing the technology beyond it's limits and in doing so it also pushes old equipment into the past.

Sadly this will be true of the iPhone as well, the 3GS that's on the boat from China will no longer be supported in probably, oh, 5 years. At some point the new iPhone/Pod OS X will no longer be compatible with it.  But I will have had my use, and, I'm honing my Obj C skills, one good app and my retirement home in the north coast of NSW goes from being a km from the beach to being on the beach!

Quote from: kickstart;518775
Yes, they forget all ppc users using osx too but if m$ make it is bad, if apple make it is "different", i dont understand its the same, no?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 11, 2009, 12:00:29 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518775

It is, but read the discussions on the gcc mailing list re: plug-ins and how to force GPL compliance. Their solution was to implement a DRM-like copyright enforcement mechanism and deliberately obfuscate the code responsible for loading plug-ins, despite possible conflicts with GPLv3. So, everyone does it, even those that claim to support open software.

That said, I don't see any problem with Apple and Microsoft using their own platforms as host environments. They sell proprietary software, after all. The gcc people, on the other hand, need to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror and decide whether or not they really believe in the concept of free software.