Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6471 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518172
Some years ago Nokia have a problem with some pirate batteries exploding away, since these days you can identify batteries as true on the nokia website. I think apple use the cheapset batteries on the true-high-technology iphone.

Well, you can stop right now with the FUD! The battery life on the iPhone is it's weakest point, but it's no worse than any device that combines the functions of a Phone, iPod, Portable Games Console, Media Player and PDA...

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 07:34:13 AM »
I hate to knock my iPhone again, but I get amazing battery life out if my Nintendo DSi. The iPhone doesn't even last a day on standby....

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Quote from: Trev;518219
I hate to knock my iPhone again, but I get amazing battery life out if my Nintendo DSi. The iPhone doesn't even last a day on standby....

I was in Slovakia earlier this year, not wishing to pay Data roaming charges I switched the Data connection off on my iPhone... Using it as a normal phone, media player and game console I got 3 days out of it. I had forgotten my charger so that was lucky!

But you will find it is the data connection that sucks the power!

Offline marvinpa

• Show only replies by marvinpa
    • http://www.davesara.demon.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
Ive recently discovered with my iPhone that by turning off 3G (no coverage here!) and Location Services, battery life is much better.

To force quit applications under version 3.0 the procedure has changed.
Hold the Power Button in until Slide To Power Off appears.
Then hold the Home button in till the App quits.

Hope this is of help.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
@marvinpa

If you turning off 3G in any phone battery life is better not only on the iphone.

@bloodline

Sorry if you dont like this but i only read/hear too many good things about iphone from apple fanboys and this is not the reality. I talk about iphone like a pda + phone, no games console or something. Just talking about phones dont take ir serious.
a1200 060

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;518267
@marvinpa

If you turning off 3G in any phone battery life is better not only on the iphone.

@bloodline

Sorry if you dont like this but i only read/hear too many good things about iphone from apple fanboys and this is not the reality. I talk about iphone like a pda + phone, no games console or something. Just talking about phones dont take ir serious.

I would be happy to discuss the matter with you, but you've never used an iPhone... So there is little you can say on the topic. Just as I can't talk about the Palm Pre, since I have never used one, for example.

Offline kickstart

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:45:58 PM »
Yes i dont have iphone... but for talking about battery issues dont need to own iphone, this issues are public, maybe your sentence at your sign is wrong, theres so much people not using and not interested on iphone.
a1200 060

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;518293
Yes i dont have iphone... but for talking about battery issues dont need to own iphone, this issues are public, maybe your sentence at your sign is wrong, theres so much people not using and not interested on iphone.

My sig is a joke.

Anyway, I have not once claimed the iPhone battery is any special... It really isn't. But it is no worse than any other device.

Offline kickstart

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
Sorry but is worse, i dont know the capacity on mah but compared with psp, nds, and  many more gadgets its worse (all in best charge conditions).
a1200 060

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
I've owned a blackberry 8820 for over 16 months now and I'm sick of it. It's been slow, it's GPS is crap and it keeps crashing or slowing down so much it becomes unusable until you remove the battery to reboot it which takes forever.

The only good thing is their Push Email service and the full querty keyboard.

It's the last blackberry I'm buying unless they come up with something amazing.

I just bought an iphone 3G off ebay. I don't want to sign up for another 18 months contract just yet so I'm going to be going on PAYG.

It's an amazing piece of kit. Iv'e never liked Apple stuff before so I am not a fan boy and I did think the iphone was all hype but after using it and playing Monkey Island SE on it amongst othe Amiga games I am well impressed.

It's the best gadget I've ever owned despite its minor flaws.

I got mine unlocked because I don't like O2 becvause their coverage sucks in my area and also they have made billing errors on our work mobile contracts.

I don't care what anyone says the iphone redefined the mobile phone so credit to Apple. With OS3 it's usability is is much improved.

Comparing blackberry with iphone? No competition. iPhone wins straight off.

Trust me, that's coming from someone who owns both.

As for all the detractors. We know you want one really ;)

Who'd have thought eh? Now that the red v blue wars are finally over we are arguing over iphones and blackberries on Amiga org. :roflmao:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:35:50 PM by GadgetMaster »

Offline GadgetMaster

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;518357
Sorry but is worse, i dont know the capacity on mah but compared with psp, nds, and  many more gadgets its worse (all in best charge conditions).

So?  

That's my problem not yours. :rolleyes:

Offline GadgetMaster

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;518275
I would be happy to discuss the matter with you, but you've never used an iPhone... So there is little you can say on the topic. Just as I can't talk about the Palm Pre, since I have never used one, for example.

Spot on!

Untill buying one I didn't know what all the fuss  was about.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I will probably get ridiculed by the iPhone and Blackberry users for admitting that I like my LG Voyager (discontinued now) through Verizon Wireless, but I like the full qwerty keyboard when I flip it open, the screen size inside and also the larger outside touchscreen display and best of all, the VCast TV that I can watch while waiting in the lobby of the doctor's office, or at the airport, or where ever I have to wait for some time.  The extended battery I found gives me 1-1/2 to 3 days of standby use and a few calls per charge.  

I even dropped it into my swimming pool while it was turned on and fished it out 10 minutes later and thought it was ruined, but I just filpped it open, removed the battery and set it in the oven on the warm setting (150 to 180 degrees Farenheit) for about 20 to 30 minutes and then put in on the charger and it turned on and worked.  The battery was ruined, hence my purchase of the extented life battery, but I am pretty happy with my 9 months of use with the LG Voyager and wonder why they discontinued it as I don't see an equal replacement from LG in the Verizon store.

I have thought about giving my LG Voyager to my Son, as his phone is dying fast, and getting an iPhone for myself, as I use a MacBook and would like to be able to sync my calendar and contacts, but question the cost and having two different wireless phone company bills.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;518403
So?  

Everyone has to argue around here it seems.

I think he was merely posting "On Topic".  He was posting that it is a well known fact, search the internet, that the iPhone battery is not that great.  

So maybe that is one of several reasons the original poster's company went with Blackberry.

Geez, just because we love our little electronic toys doesn't mean we need to be rude to each other.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »
Just my 2 cents on this topic.

I have an iphone 3G for about 2 months now.
At first I was sick about the short battery life. I had to charge it every night.
BUT, then I realized that I was playing with that toy with games and internet more than 4-5 hours a day.
Games are killing the battery quick, wireless almost as quick as games, having both of them  in action does drink the battery as a V12 ferrari drinks the gasoline, location services also spend a lot of cpu cycles for unknown(to me) reason with the result of giving the battery another hit.

now that my enthusiasm have calm down and my usage also, iphone gets about 3-4 days without a charge, and thats with half an hour internet, another 15-20 minutes of gaming, and normal usage calls per day (about 30 minutes).

that made me think exactly the opposite of what I first thought. battery for such a SMALL device with all these candies is just amazing. I would get about 3 days from my motorola with GREEN small screen(just calls), the same from my ericsson P990i, that is more than  double the size of iphone, and way less powerful.
I even discovered how apple can have such a BIG battery life from that miniature PDA-phone. there is a sensor near earphone that detects if the phone is in your ear and turn off the display and turn on again as iphone gets away from your head, also the same sensor detect ambient light and if you are in a dark place  screen brightness reduces.
BUT never forget bluetooth,wireless, location services enabled, because no matter electronics are state of the art as it comes to energy consumption, battery is REALY SMALL for that kind of circuits.
Every time you wake up your phone, wireless will check for known networks, at the same time bluetooth will search for paired/known devices, location services will get signal from satellite to know your position. EVERY TIME that your device wakes up!!! no matter you want to use it only as a phone or a calculator.
Also when you are using the iphone, that actions happens every 15 minutes if the services are enabled. So TURN OFF them whenever you don't use these services, and battery life will amaze you! (considering the size of the device ofcourse!)

Offline kickstart

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 07, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;518403
So?  

Well you called it a problem not me but dot take it personally.
a1200 060