Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaONE Review Running OS4 Video  (Read 3989 times)

Description:

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
Re: AmigaONE Review Running OS4 Video
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 07:37:26 PM »
have only got a 56k connection its as slow as a snail
Wow, I got 290 connect, fastest yet for me.  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
Well, it Was 3 am here ;-)
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Cryten

• Show only replies by Cryten
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 07:58:26 PM »
Elwood: Thanks for video!

Even though the graphic updates seem a bit slow at the time being, it's exciting to finally see Amiga OS4 in action. Really looking forward to see more!  :-)

Offline jack

• Show only replies by jack
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 08:43:31 PM »
Wilse wrote:
I never managed to keep mine stable under 2.4.21 with DMA enabled. Do we have an official statement from Hyperion on this or is it just your personal experience?

IMHO, there're lot of parameters wich can affect stability, such as:
verson of X, number of pci cards and pci/network usage. I had problems with dma/xf4.3 on debian/ydl3 (2.4.21). Now I'm running ydl3/2.4.22, dma on - things are significantly stabler here.

Jack

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 08:56:35 PM »
I never managed to keep mine stable under 2.4.21 with DMA enabled. Do we have an official statement from Hyperion on this or is it just your personal experience?
Make sure you're using high quality IDE cables. My Athlon system was rather unstable when I had UDMA5 set, until I replaced my cables and it worked flawlessly ever since. Worth a shot.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 09:15:47 PM »
@Jack

This is true irregardless of which system you run.  My Athlon kept locking up, crashing, dying.  Turns out the video card and southbridge hated each other.  Swap the mobo, and everything is fine.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 09:29:44 PM »
Glaucus wrote:
Make sure you're using high quality IDE cables. My Athlon system was rather unstable when I had UDMA5 set, until I replaced my cables and it worked flawlessly ever since. Worth a shot.

On top of that, it might be better sticking to normal ribbon IDE cables rather than cylindrical ones. They might allow better airflow, but apparently there's a lot of crosstalk.

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 09:42:11 PM »
@Glaucus:

IIRC you have to use a special cable for UDMA modes 4 and 5 (it's the one with lots of small wires but the same amount of connections as the "normal" cables).  This is the case even with PCs, I think it's got to do with the thicker wires causing interference on each other at high transfer speeds, the thinner wires don't have that problem.

@Downix:

???

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 10:15:59 PM »
That would be the 80 wire cables. The extra wires are ground, one for each data wire. They help reduce line noise and interferance, which at high data rates can adversly affect the data transfered on the cable.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2003, 10:20:15 PM »
@KennyR

On top of that, it might be better sticking to normal ribbon IDE cables rather than cylindrical ones. They might allow better airflow, but apparently there's a lot of crosstalk.

It might depend on the quality of the cable. I can't say I've ever had any problems whatsoever with mine.

...or it could be an urban myth. A lot of these tend to be spread about when so called engineers don't know what's wrong but want to seem knowledgeable.
 :-P

P.S. Actually, see Argo's reply. That looks closest to the truth to me.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2003, 10:26:30 PM »
@CodeSmith
This is the case even with PCs, I think it's got to do with the thicker wires causing interference on each other at high transfer speeds, the thinner wires don't have that problem.

Well, you thought wrong. Like Argo pointed out the extra 40 wires are separate ground wires for each signal wire. Check pcguide Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables for details.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2003, 11:14:48 PM »
Do we have an official statement from Hyperion on this or is it just your personal experience?

Why should Hyperion make a statement about DMA in Linux?
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2003, 11:23:31 PM »
Well, funnily enough, the cable I was using was the cylindrical type. Also funny is that I replaced it with another brand of cylindrical cable. Both were rated for UDMA5 (80 wire). And yeah, the extra wires are ground wires as others have mentioned. It was just a matter of build quality.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2003, 11:39:56 PM »
Well,  I'm using pretty lighty uppy cylindrical cables in my A1 ...  Stable as a rock... NO probs.. Apart from it being poxy linux.

The Reluctant Pom

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2003, 01:08:55 AM »
@CodeSmith

Someone talked about hardware conflicts, in reference to the A1, and I thought I'd point out a similar experience I had with an EPoX Athlon mobo and my Evil Kyro video card.  Such bugs are not limited to those of us that run the alternate processors of the world, ya know?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Graak

• Show only replies by Graak
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2003, 03:27:50 AM »
It might depend on the quality of the cable. I can't say I've ever had any problems whatsoever with mine.

Serial ATA to the people! It really rocks compared to PATA (Parallel ATA). Not performance-wise (today's drives can't handle such high speeds) but it's sooo much more convinient with small cables than with those huge PATA-cables :-)

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 17, 2003, 04:32:45 AM »
Wow thanks to the webmaster for those mpg's on OS4, it is also the first time I've seen OS 4 in action.

It will be a long time, probably, before an OS 4 show is in Tennessee, but maybe someday :-)

I cannot wait till the complete systems are on sale!
Or rather I should say, I can wait, now, because it so soon...you could tell when I couldn't wait cause I was cranky and had a tendency to shout.

This community always amazes me...still strong after so many years, and now two hardware/os platforms are just about ready for launch!

Looking like a great 2003/2004 for Amigadom.

You know what, I'm even going to do an AmigaGuide format of our books, not for sale...will give them away, but just as a nod to the community.

peace,
MarkTime
Delfania