Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any SGI fans?  (Read 8235 times)

Description:

Offline agami

• Show all replies
    • Twitter
Re: Any SGI fans?
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »
When sgi a.k.a. Silicon Graphics went under it was a sad day indeed. Almost as sad as when Amiga went under. I know the Amiga + Toaster ate some of sgi's lunch but I always saw sgi as Amiga's big brother, wearing the grown-up pants and all. Plus, for the longest of time they featured in movies because they made their products look swanky.

IRIX was a very polished Unix OS. In the mid '90s I worked at a research facility for a mining company and part of my role was to look after the smallish modelling farm of an Origin server and four Indy II workstations. In 1999 I reluctantly turned down a job with sgi here in Camberwell, VIC (suburb of Melbourne) because I was at a start-up and I had stock options.

Another reason I miss sgi is because they were the purveyor of the MIPS architecture. And like at least one other member here stated, an impressive RISC architecture it was/is. MIPS is continually developed by the Chinese company Loongson. Which is why a few years back I posted on this forum or over at AW.net that Hyperion Entertainment should port Amiga OS to MIPS. All those Chinese academics using it would make for a decent business just by itself. Imagine, we could have been using Lemote notebooks by now. And the Loongson MIPS CPU is waaaaay cheaper than a comparable PPC CPU.

In another universe perhaps.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1