Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: aros fork?  (Read 4698 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
Re: aros fork?
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
I think deep down Rob isn't looking for ways to improve AROS or the AROS project--he's looking for ways to improve the AROS community. It's plain from his blog that he enjoys the camaraderie and collaboration found in most Linux projects. Frankly, there just aren't enough interested developers in the Amiga community, AROS or otherwise, to make a difference in that regard.

When Amiga developers do come together in large groups, they're just as likely to kill each other as they are to help. It's a sad, sad, world we play in. There are exceptions, of course, but bad experiences amongst Amiga programmers are not uncommon.

Trev

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show all replies
Re: aros fork?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
I would coordinate your efforts with the current project leaders. Some of them are very clear on how project management, software requirements, and design specifications work.

If everyone is interested in keeping the spirit of the Amiga alive in AROS, I think the project should be asking, "What would Amiga have done if it was still run by the original hardware and software engineers?" (You can start by looking at Rebol as an example, of course, but I'd stay away from anything to do with set-top-boxes.) The hardware question is moot, and many of the software features that the Amiga and other systems of that time pioneered are quite dated. For example, context menus? Surely there's a better way to organize a program's available commands. AROS needs someone keen on advancements in interface design.