Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.  (Read 4591 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
Re: Worst of the Worst Think Comodore has done.
« on: May 31, 2003, 05:42:11 AM »
(why on earth is this in the 'games' thread?)

they did very well with the C64, and i believe that because they sold that so well, they probably believed anything with the word 'commodore' would sell - even without advertising
we all know they were wrong!
one thing i have learned in some of my marketing classes, is customers(for the most part)arent loyal
another thing i learned is to ADVERTISE!!

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 12:03:13 AM »
in the late 80s
commodore could of easily taken advantage of the fact that there were about 20 million, or more C64 users! they could of produced a (probably hardware based) C64(&128) emulator as an optional add on
they could of at least made the upgrade path of c64 users easier and more risk free to the amiga than ibm-pc(most c64 users probably bought an ibm-pc)
commodore had the numbers - but it was the wrong machine!

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 11:57:39 PM »
It should have had a 68030 @ 25MHz or higher, 2 meg chip AND 2 meg fast ram, SIMM sockets to expand to 32 megs fast ram.
its a game console! that would of made it a lot more expensive, would games be upgraded to take advantage of the 030? probably not. you still would of had a hell of a lot of shoval ware back then
and i cant think of why any propriatary game console would have a standard system of ram expansion - i hope you dont mean standard 30 or 72 pin SIMM soccets!  :-o  :-o
Same with the 1200. No fast ram was a HUGE mistake. BUT, it HAD to have 2 chip as well.
do you realize howmuch 2M cost back in those days??
people bought the 1200 for cheapness - if they wanted quality they would go for the 4000, which had fast ram

Agnus not going higher than 2 megs chip, HUGE mistake. It should have been able to do at LEAST 64 Megs.

were forgetting that agnus was made in the mid 80's!!!
2M was heaps back then! 64M??? the 68000 could only address 16M of memory! and that included ROM and IO!!!

The A1's ability to emulate custom chips, I REALLY hope can break the 2 Meg chip ram barrier (remember it's SW), to at LEAST 256 Megs chip.

who cares if it can emulate the custom chips.
i want new software(with no backwards compatability bottlenecks) - to run old #### just run UAE

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 12:39:34 AM »
Well, thats why it died. They REFUSED to make faster machines. Why not SIMM sockets. Why can't a playstation 2, gamecube, or that other thing have SIMM sockets? EVERYONE seems to think this is a "Cardinal law of the Universe" that cannot be broken.
commodore couldnt make money from SIMM's!!

do you realise how the game console business works?
here are the basic steps:
1. sell the console super cheap, so as to reel everyone in!
2. sell the games and propriatary hardware expansions super expensive, so as to cover the costs of the below cost consoles and make a hell of a lot of profit!

game consoles have weird looking connectors all over them for a good reason:

$$$$$$$!