Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code  (Read 5902 times)

Description:

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »
If you are planning on debugging your software then I recommend SASC since it has the best source level debugger by far.

If you are just going to code bug-ridden nonsense then you can just use anything, even cross-compile.  Protip1: don't cross-compile.  Protip2: Using WinUAE is not cross-compiling.

As for Asm, the Amiga has many good assemblers: Devpac, Asm-One, Barfly, PhxAss and probably others I forgot about.

All the Amiga's dev software is tiny.  So just install everything.

Trying to interface asm to any GCC-derived compiler is going to drive you insane and raise your bloodpressure.  You could die of a stroke.  We don't want that.  So I recommend any normal C compiler that cooperates with asm, such as SASC for sure.  But I think VBCC and DICE cooperate in a friendly manner too (I just can't remember for sure).

I have used a few different Amiga C compilers + read the instruction manuals to a few others.  I have used at least 4 different assemblers.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:21:41 AM »
Quote from: Leffmann;754618

Stay away from all-in-one-total-assembly-experience programs like Devpac, SEKA, Maxon Assembler, ASM-One with derivatives etc. They are really, really great for testing and learning, but for actually writing programs they only let you dig a hole in the ground for yourself.

Really tremendously harsh thing to say.  I don't even understand what it is you are trying to say.  Are you trying to say that nobody should ever use asm ever?  Or are you saying that nobody should use those specific assemblers?

Which assemblers are good enuff to earn the Leffmann seal of approval?

As for me I have coded many asm routines in Devpac and AsmOne and they were totally ok.  Not 1000% perfect or anything, but no software package is.  They were completely usable and friendly and got the job done.  Many ppl say that PhxAss is a lot better but I never got around to using that one :(  

If I was the OP I would install PhxAss, BarFly, Devpac and AsmOne.

But if I was ME then I would just be lazy and keep using what I have used for centuries: Devpac and A68k (or whatever that other PD one is called).
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA