Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code  (Read 5909 times)

Description:

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
Re: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;754040
The best free C compiler is VBCC
Perhaps, but probably too slow for 680x0 hardware :( I tried it a few years ago and it was too slow for even a simple 'Hello world!' program :(

For 68030, Dice is quite usable speed wise, and perhaps SAS6.58 (which is probably much better than Dice).

Quote from: nicholas;754040
For assembly coding there are AsmOne and AsmPro
Indeed, these are absolutely fantastic for learning 680x0 assembly language.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Quote from: Havie;754075
The other option that isn't cross compiling on a PC is to set up a programming environment in WinUAE

:laughing:

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
Off topic:

Quote from: nicholas;754082
In fact I can send you pretty much any dev tool you fancy as I have most things knocking around my machines.
Would you by any change have ALL the dependencies to compile the original Dopus Magellan sources with SASC6? I've tried a few times and failed.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Quote from: Havie;754088
Emulating an Amiga to program through Workbench for an Amiga is not cross compiling.:swords:

That may be, but it still comes down to the same thing: Compiling code for one machine on another.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;754100
I can have a look for you.

Thanks, but forget I asked. All I really want to do is fix the file and disk sizes for anything greater than 2^32-1. It's not a big deal.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Quote from: Leffmann;754618
There's also vbcc, a portable C compiler for C89 and C99, which comes with a really powerful assembler and linker.
Last time I checked (some years ago) VBCC was really slow on 68030s :( VASM is very slow, too :( These are sadly of little use on actual hardware.

Quote from: Leffmann;754618
Stay away from all-in-one-total-assembly-experience programs like Devpac, SEKA, Maxon Assembler, ASM-One with derivatives etc. They are really, really great for testing and learning, but for actually writing programs they only let you dig a hole in the ground for yourself.
The OP does write that they want to learn assembly language, so those integrated environments should be very useful. Can't harm to state that their usefulness is limited after learning, of course ;)

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:41:07 PM »
Quote from: Leffmann;754729
Actually I think the whole VBCC suite runs perfectly fine on a real Amiga. The trick is to use a proper build system, and avoid putting all your code in a single massive file. Rebuilding the entire project every time you've changed just a single line of code is sure to give you dramatical build times.

I'm talking about compiling a 'Hello world!' program with VBCC on a 50 mhz 68030. It was too slow. Maybe the current version is faster, it was a quite a while ago.

Quote from: ChaosLord;754777
Really tremendously harsh thing to say.  I don't even understand what it is you are trying to say.  Are you trying to say that nobody should ever use asm ever?  Or are you saying that nobody should use those specific assemblers?

He's saying you shouldn't use those integrated environment assemblers for large projects, because you can only compile the whole source code all at once. If your code is split up in parts, then with the right assembler you only have to assemble the part that you made changes in, similar to multiple file C code.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;754794
This is a good place to start:

http://coppershade.org/

They would need to choose if they want to start with hardware programming or OS programming. In my opinion it's better to start with the OS. It's easier, especially for things like simple 'Hello world!' programs that you want to start with.

Offline Thorham

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;754802
OS coding in assembly is much less fun though. :)
That's a matter of taste :)