Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code  (Read 5895 times)

Description:

Offline Havie

• Show all replies
Re: Suggestions for programs to use on real amiga to code
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »
The other option that isn't cross compiling on a PC is to set up a programming environment in WinUAE that matches your taget spec but allows you to recover from crashes more easily, change the target spec easily and also allows you to do prgramming at maximu CPU speed.  The compile code and transfer to Amiga to test.

This works pretty well with Blitz Basic (which seems to crash a lot) and I have successfully coded a few simple things and transfered across.  The difference between running Blitz (for coding) on WinUAE at max speed compared to Amiga 1200 @030 is significant and does make things simlper.  Also, it is much easier to get stuff from the web across to the Amiga side of WinUAE.

It is laudable to want to do things 'properly' and I had many happy hours programming my old Speccy, St and Miggy in various langauages from Z80 to Stos to Amos to Blitz but why not use teh advantages that a modern system offers?  We have learnt a lot about programming in the last 20 years - are you going to ignore those too...:banana:

Offline Havie

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;754076
:laughing:
A cross compiler is a compiler capable of creating executable code for a platform other than the one on which the compiler is running.

Emulating an Amiga to program through Workbench for an Amiga is not cross compiling.:swords:

Offline Havie

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;754093
That may be, but it still comes down to the same thing: Compiling code for one machine on another.

Fair comment although in the world we live in the boundaries blur - who would have thought 20 years ago that an emulated environment would be as powerful as WinUAE is?  And this is a far cry from connecting a ZX Spectrum to a a more powerful computer and passing compiled code through some sort of serial cable!

What Superfrog76 could do is program in an Amiga C compiler but have the advantage of super quick compilation, an emulated test bed and a simple (assuming compact flash transfer) way of passing his programs to a real environment.  This keeps more in the spirit of what he wants to do without using a totally alien environment to write the software.

But...

going back to my other point, using a super duper PC C compiler will come with 20+ years of improvements.  And as mainly a basic programmer I find Amiga Blitz (which I used loads back in the day) much harder to use the PC Blitz.  I would give anything for a modern debugger!!!

Still, have gone on too much.