Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?  (Read 7735 times)

Description:

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
Re: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?
« on: March 09, 2003, 01:09:13 AM »
Hi araknoid, and welcome to Amiga.org. Always nice to see new people. :-)

As has been pointed out before, OS4 will not run on Macs. If you want to run the next AmigaOS you should get an AmigaOne, as this is the only licenced motherboard available at this point. You could also run it on an A1200 or A4000 with a PPC accelerator, but the high price and relatively poor performance makes this a far less attractive solution. I myself am currently waiting for an AmigaOneG4-XE. :-D

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 11:18:25 AM »
> How do I get an Amiga One? How much will it cost? I have a AmigaCD32.

It can be ordered from one of these dealers. The price is a bit steep, unfortunately, although this shouldn't be a problem if you're used to Apple hardware ;-). There are three different models, with prices ranging from approximately 580 Euro to 800 Euro. Apart from the motherboard, you can use standard PC components when building your system, provided there are drivers available. Feel free to ask if you need more info about this.

> Are there any Amiga Laptops out there?

Unfortunately, no. There have been custom made ones, but nothing has ever hit mass production. Unless you have the skill to build one yourself, your best option would be to get a Laptop PC and run one an Amiga emulator on it.

> I am ready to return to the Amiga Computing world.

:-D Glad to hear that! Feel free to ask here should you ever need any advice.

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 11:25:12 AM »
> 1) There are no new Amigas yet, and definitely no new Amiga laptops. Wait until there's actually
> an OS to go along with the name.

The machines are here now, even though the OS is not. Still, it's not like the motherboard can't be used without AmigaOS. They currently run both LinuxPPC and MacOS (through MOL). If you don't mind playing around with these OS's while waiting for AmigaOS, buying the machines now makes perfect sense, as OS4 is thrown in for free when you order early.

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 12:06:19 PM »
@Senex:

> One is "AmigaOS4" which components are currently developed by Hyperion mainly on
> Classic-Amigas with the PPC-boards from the former Phase5.

Although I know you don't like it, the name is AmigaOS4, not "AmigaOS4".

> It's intended to run on the so-called "AmigaOne" later, distributed by Eyetech, who
> simply resell a reference-design PPC-board by the northbridge-manufacturer MAI called "Teron".

Once again, it's AmigaOne, not "AmigaOne". Anyway, I see you are making an effort to make it sound like Eyetech is somehow being dishonest. It's true that the AmigaOne is pretty identical to the Teron. The difference is that the AmigaOne is licensed so that it will run AmigaOS. That is what Eyetech, a Mai distributor, is adding to the Teron.

> The current "Amiga Inc." (since 2000) plays, as in the years before, no major role in all this,
> they just gave licenses for the use of the trademarks and the source-code of AmigaOS 3.1

Yes, as we all know, OS4 development is lead by  Hyperion. Their enormous dedication to the platform and experience in porting software from 68k to PPC makes them a good choice in my opinion. AmigaInc are working on the AmigaDE, which is planned to be integrated in AmigaOS at a later point.

> (the source-code for 3.5 & 3.9 is owned by Haage&Partner who developed those updates back then).

Not quite true. There were more developers contributing to 3.5 and 3.9. While it is true that H&P were unwilling to cooperate with Hyperion, these developers weren't. So AmigaOS4 is based on 3.1, and parts of 3.5 and 3.9.

> In fact, at least very few weeks ago it had not even all components integrated together yet
> (especially a key part, the emulation, is missing), so that it's not even in real betatest
> yet (just it's components for itself).

I suggest you leave commenting on the current status of the project to someone who is actually involved with it.

> Hyperion have even to acquire the money for the OS-development themselves,

Nothing wrong with that. They fund it, they make it, they sell it.

> Genesi have developed their own PPC-board called Pegasos, which does have a few additional
> features compared to the Teron and is smaller (microATX).

The differences are very slight, and there are a few advantages to the AmigaOne as well. For example it currently has a G4 module, and it has an extra PCI slot. Still, I'd agree that the Pegasos is nice, especially considering the price point. The downside is that it will probably not run AmigaOS anytime soon (in spite of Bill Buck's appeal to "clever boys and girls" to crack the protection).

> although just in limited quantities yet because of continued delivery-shortfalls of the
> northbridge-manufacturer Mai (see above).

If that's really the case, I guess it just means that Mai have their priorities elsewhere. Genesi publicly slamming their products could have something to do with it (pure speculation on my part here).

> In case you've further questions or might even get interested in developing for this platform,
> you could contact Raquel Velasco and Bill Buck of Genesi at bbrv@genesi.lu.

Yes, it's always a good idea to get the information from the horse's mouth. One thing I'd like to add, though: If they say anything about AmigaOS4 or the AmigaOne, you should take it with a bucket of salt. FUD seems to be a major part of Genesi's business strategy.

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
Re: Apple and MorphOS Compatibility!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 02:13:17 PM »
> ...be nice Kay.

I always try to be nice, although in your case I've given up, and settled for "fair".

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
Re: New Apple Game!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 03:23:30 PM »
> OK Kay, so be *fair* about reviewing this idea...

Look, I don't really care about your plans for MOS. The times when I care about your actions at all is when they affect the Amiga or Amiga companies somehow. I'm sure someone else here cares about MOS for Mac, have them review your idea.

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 04:00:37 PM »
> Kay=Mr. Grumpy

Sorry about that, I didn't intend to come across as grumpy. I just truly, honestly don't care about MOS.

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

There, that should do. :-)

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 04:17:33 PM »
Word.

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 10:38:22 PM »
> I have read your posts and consider you to be a fair and knowledgable person.

Why, thank you! :-)

> Specifically?

No, generally :-P. Okay, I mostly react when BBRV makes statements which are apparently intended to hurt AmigaOne sales, or to defame Amiga people and companies. I don't want to go into details, as most such statements have been discussed to death already.

> Genesi isn't stopping me from running AmigaOS4 on the Pegasos. That would be Eyetech's
> *protectionist* approach to the Amiga market. You know, you will only be *allowed* to run
> AmigaOS4 on the hardware supplied by Eyetech. Sounds like a *ghetto* to me.

As far as I've understood, the deal Eyetech has is not exclusive at all, and Eyetech formally has no say when it comes to what other platforms OS4 will run on. Genesi *could* have gotten the same deal, if they had accepted the licencing conditions. I'd be surprised if Hyperion would want to work with them now though, considering some of the statements which have been made. Genesi claims that they wouldn't mind OS4 on the Pegasos, but when they in the same post claim that Hyperion's MP is lying about his profession, I somehow feel that they are not sincere.

> I strongly believe that anyone who buys an AmigaONE in this current market situation is
> going to get burned like I was a few years ago.

I strongly disagree, but we will find out soon enough.

> The companies that operate business how I want it will get my support.

I agree with that philosophy. And for that reason BBRV will not receive my support.

Kay

Offline Kay

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 12:28:33 AM »
> Eyetech mention that AmigaOS4 will only run on Eyetech AmigaONE systems.

At the moment, that is true, but I don't think that means they have any power to keep it away from other HW platforms in the future. To the best of my knowledge, Eyetech has no ownership over AmigaOS4 at all. If Genesi got themselves a licence to have AmigaOS4 running on the Pegasos, Eyetech would have no power to stop them. Considering Genesi's current relations with Amiga Inc and Hyperion, though, I doubt they will be getting a license in the near future.

> Me doesn't understand? I love BBRV's sarcastic sense of humous, I often find myself nearly
> falling out of my chair laughing.

If you seriously have no idea why I would dislike his behaviour, then for the sake of peace, I must answer: Never mind. If you REALLY want to know, send me a PM. We are already OT, and I do not wish this to become another flamewar.

Kay