Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reasons why I don't like emulators - or why xx-UAE is really unusable  (Read 6719 times)

Description:

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
Re: Reasons why I don't like emulators - or why xx-UAE is really unusable
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 01, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776370
You got that wrong. But no, I don't have the time to work on it, I've more than enough projects on my todo list, thanks.

you seem to have enough time to go on and on about it here, and yet I see nothing from you on the github issue tracker or support forum.

sorry, what is so complicated about using the keyboard input mapping stuff I linked earlier - have you even tried that? Or you prefer to just continue moaning here ? :)

Offline Minuous

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:07 PM »
>Wine, because there's nothing on Linux to run it?

I should have known not to recommend Wine, I get the impression that (a) you are strongly anti-emulation for no apparent reason and (b) completely partisan in terms of Linux vs. other OSes. If a decent version of UAE isn't available natively for Linux, perhaps someone from the Linux community should do something about that. It's open source after all.

>Or build a keymap myself because the emulator fails emulating the keyboard in a useful way? Please, excuse me, but such solutions are not exactly "usable". They might be "ok" as last resort, but they are far from ideal.

>Look, there are certain "minimum standards" I would recommend to follow. The minimum standard is that the keyboard works as expected (with the keys functioning as the labels on them say).

It does. Press the backslash key, you get a backslash. If you want Alt-ß to produce a backslash, you can set up a keymap, but to my knowledge that isn't a standard Amiga shortcut and never has been. It sounds like you want to clog UAE and/or AmigaOS up with quasi-standards from foreign platforms. You can't blame AmigaOS for expecting an Amiga keyboard to be present. Or UAE for assuming by default that you have a backslash key. I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out that there are defective keyboards available that are missing this key. I don't complain that there is no ß key on my keyboard.

>But if I have to pile certain emulation layers on top of each other to compile a program for an old system, then that's not a workable solution.

You don't have to. There's no need to cross compile, all development can be (and is, in my case) done under the guest OS.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:58:42 PM by Minuous »

guest11527

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;776403
>Wine, because there's nothing on Linux to run it?

I should have known not to recommend Wine, I get the impression that (a) you are strongly anti-emulation for no apparent reason
No, I'm anti "non-working solutions". MS-Word under wine works perfectly. AmigaOs under UAE does not. Big difference.  
 completely partisan in terms of Linux vs. other OSes.  
Neither. But why should I run an emulator in an emulator? If linux wasn't important enough for the original author, why should this program be important enough for me? It's acceptable if I need something for work, and word is something I need for work, but UAE isn't work. It's at best a hobby.  
If a decent version of UAE isn't available natively for Linux, perhaps someone from the Linux community should do something about that. It's open source after all.
Perhaps. As said, I've enough projects of my own (including my own emulator), so please count me out. But objectively, this doesn't make things any more workable for me.    
It does. Press the backslash key, you get a backslash.  
Very funny. There is no backslash key on a german keyboard. I believe I said this multiple times. It is at Alt-ß, and only there. These are elementary problems an emulator should be able to take care of, but apparently not.

You can offer me workarounds, but these are workarounds and no solutions. I wanted to give reasons why it the emulation doesn't work for me, and that's exactly why it doesn't, and the most important reason. If I first have to sit down and implement some work-around, or need to change my typing style because apparently the authors are unaware or unwilling to emulate a standard keyboard, then this makes things for me unusable. You may not like it, but that's what it is.  
If you want Alt-ß to produce a backslash, you can set up a keymap, but to my knowledge that isn't a standard Amiga shortcut and never has been.  
But it is a standard PC "shortcut", and thus, by all basics, it should work. There's nothing exotic or unusual about this.  
It sounds like you want to clog UAE and/or AmigaOS up with quasi-standards from foreign platforms.
The German keyboard is an ISO-standard, not a quasi-standard, and if I run an emulator on a PC, it should understand the standard PC keyboard I'm typing on. That's elementary and not asking for "too much".    
 You can't blame AmigaOS for expecting an Amiga keyboard to be present. Or UAE for assuming by default that you have a backslash key. I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out that there are defective keyboards available that are missing this key. I don't complain that there is no ß key on my keyboard.
I neither blame you nor the PC for not having this key. I'm blaming emulator authors for producing half-baked solutions that are non-workable. Mapping the keyboard in a correct way is a problem every emulation has to take care of, and it is not exactly a trivial problem, but neither rocket science. And the rule should be that every key you have on the emulated platform must be reachable from the emulator. The request I have is *really that simple*.  
You don't have to. There's no need to cross compile, all development can be (and is, in my case) done under the guest OS.

Sigh. How do I compile a library then? SAS/C is not available under Linux. In other words, it requires quite an amount of porting the sources to make this happen. Maybe you have the time to do that, but I don't. I just want to compile and bugfix what I have, and do not have enough spare time to invest to port from one tool chain to a completely different tool chain.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
>No, I'm anti "non-working solutions". MS-Word under wine works perfectly. AmigaOs under UAE does not. Big difference.

I don't use Linux, so can't say from personal experience, but WinUAE under WINE seems to work fine for most people. (Eg. see http://www.pcguru.plus.com/uae_wine.html and http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48622 ).

>But why should I run an emulator in an emulator?

Wine Is Not an Emulator, it just translates API calls. So there's no double-layer emulation to degrade performance. In fact as the second link I gave above points out, this is the fastest way.

>If linux wasn't important enough for the original author, why should this program be important enough for me?

Because it has more features and speed than the other versions of UAE. I agree, it would be nice if he supported more platforms (I was disappointed when Win98 support was dropped prematurely)...But no need to punish yourself by avoiding it just because of that.

>Very funny. There is no backslash key on a german keyboard. I believe I said this multiple times.

What I was replying to was your statement "The minimum standard is that the keyboard works as expected (with the keys functioning as the labels on them say).", and I simply pointed out that it does so.

>You can offer me workarounds, but these are workarounds and no solutions.

Your proposed solution IIRC was something along the lines of translating a host scancode into ASCII via the host OS, then translating that ASCII value into a guest scancode. Which would cause all kinds of issues and is about the least clean solution I can imagine.

>standard PC "shortcut", and thus, by all basics, it should work. There's nothing exotic or unusual about this.    The German keyboard is an ISO-standard, not a quasi-standard, and if I run an emulator on a PC, it should understand the standard PC keyboard I'm typing on.

No, it shouldn't. Eg. with Caps Lock on, typing Shift-A on a PC gives lowercase a (on DOS and Windows at least, not sure about Linux), whereas on an Amiga it gives uppercase A. The correct behaviour when you type this into an Amiga emulator would be to handle it like an Amiga does. There are a whole list of standard PC shortcuts, none of them get translated by any Amiga emulator. Eg. Alt-numpad to emit a specific ASCII character, Ctrl-X to cut, Alt-F,X for quit, etc.
  Surely it's best to be handled at the scancode level, not the ASCII value level...Not all keys even have ASCII values, the same ASCII value can be generated by different keys, etc. Injecting fake keystrokes or suppressing real ones is going to play havoc with Amiga software that isn't expecting this. Also, it's probably not a good idea to make the emulator send different scancodes just because of host locale settings.
  Also, whether or not ISO has endorsed it, it's not a platform-neutral or even OS-neutral standard, as there are Windows keys on it...

>And the rule should be that every key you have on the emulated platform must be reachable from the emulator. The request I have is *really that simple*.

Well, IIRC there's no way to type the two "international keys" (as present on some Amiga keyboards) on a standard PC keyboard, as they aren't present. (So probably every Amiga emulator fails this test.) Some kind of remapping is thus needed in any event; it shouldn't be too hard to assign a key for Backslash at the same time.

>Sigh. How do I compile a library then? SAS/C is not available under Linux. In other words, it requires quite an amount of porting the sources to make this happen. Maybe you have the time to do that, but I don't. I just want to compile and bugfix what I have, and do not have enough spare time to invest to port from one tool chain to a completely different tool chain.

It seems I have been misunderstood, sorry if my original answer was not clear. One runs the compiler, SAS/C in this case, from within the emulator. (AFAIK SAS/C is still closed source so it wouldn't be feasible to port it to another platform anyway.) Text editing of the source code can be done from the host or the guest, it doesn't make much difference.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:26:11 AM by Minuous »

guest11527

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;776441
I don't use Linux, so can't say from personal experience, but WinUAE under WINE seems to work fine for most people.
Then maybe that's fine for most people. It's not fine for me. It's a workaround, not a solution.  
Wine Is Not an Emulator, it just translates API calls.  
You're not telling me anything new. It's still the wrong solution for the problem, it's an emulation of Windows API on Linux. What for? Write portable programs in first place. My stuff runs on Windows, Linux, AIX, IRIX, Solaris and probably a couple of other Os'es. Too lazy?  
Because it has more features and speed than the other versions of UAE.
Good for you. Doesn't really help. Anyhow, this is a different discussion.  
I agree, it would be nice if he supported more platforms (I was disappointed when Win98 support was dropped prematurely)...But no need to punish yourself by avoiding it just because of that.
It's not a matter of "punishment". It is a matter of "why emulation doesn't work for me", which is what the whole thread is about. There's no usable emulator for my platform and my application, that's what I'm claiming, no more no less. I'm not claiming "emulation doesn't work for anyone". It's probably perfectly fine for your use-case, and probably for many others. It isn't for mine. No, you won't convince me to use wine just for that purpose. It's conceptionally the wrong approach to the problem. The right approach is "write portable software".  
Your proposed solution IIRC was something along the lines of translating a host scancode into ASCII via the host OS, then translating that ASCII value into a guest scancode. Which would cause all kinds of issues and is about the least clean solution I can imagine.
Once again, should I say again that I did this already? It's not really that much of a problem, and *no*, I'm not saying that you should read "scan codes", nor did I say "ASCII codes". This is not how keyboard input works. The Os'es I work on (and that includes windows, yes) give you enough abstraction information to note "hey, this key has the function of caps lock", and "hey, with the current keymap, this key has a function of Z". It doesn't give you an ASCII code for that matter. So please, try to get a bit more insight into the matter, would you? It is usually a multi-step translation process, from scan-code, to function, to ASCII. There is enough information on the whole line to get enough data to perform a reasonable information.  
No, it shouldn't. Eg. with Caps Lock on, typing Shift-A on a PC gives lowercase a (on DOS and Windows at least, not sure about Linux), whereas on an Amiga it gives uppercase A. The correct behaviour when you type this into an Amiga emulator would be to handle it like an Amiga does.  
This is not how it works. Again, you're reading something into my words I haven't said. Could you please try to read a little bit about the matter before you argue? For example, get the SDL documentation for starters - that's a nice portable multimedia abstraction library that is very workable. Caps Lock is a function key, that function needs to be mapped. "\" is a text key, here the contents (the text) need to be mapped, not the function. The Os interfaces provide the information to distinguish between the cases.  

In fact, even *that* is wrong on xx-UAE: It places the CAPS LOCK function where it expects the key (by scan code) instead of using the lower-level Os abstraction to map the Caps-lock key where it was mapped by the user. I have caps lock and ctrl interchanged, the change is communicated to programs by providing keyboard functions (not ASCII codes) to the program, yet xxx-UAE tries to map by scan-code. That's the wrong approach. As said, there are multiple levels of keyboard translation you need to take into acount. No, it's not trivial, but again, it's not rocket science either. You just have to do your homework correctly.  
There are a whole list of standard PC shortcuts, none of them get translated by any Amiga emulator. Eg. Alt-numpad to emit a specific ASCII character, Ctrl-X to cut, Alt-F,X for quit, etc.
Nope, again, that's not how the input layer works.  
  Surely it's best to be handled at the scancode level, not the ASCII value level...
No, the level a key has to be handled depends on the key, and there's more than ASCII and scancode, really. Scancode is completely wrong, because the user can re-assign keys, and the scan code doesn't get that. ASCII is wrong because some keys do not even generate ASCII.  You need a multi-level translation: 1) Get the key function from the Os (not the scan code!). 2) Check whether that function maps to a printable "non-dead" key. 3) If not so, map to the corresponding function key on the host keyboard. For the Amiga, there is no multi-level translation, so just map it to the scancode. 4) If so, get the Amiga keyboard (by GUI configuration, or by a smarter way from AmigaOs through an emulation layer). From there, find the scancode for the key. Send one or multiple scan codes to emulate that key (or keys) to generate the same effect.

This algorithm works, and yes, I had this implemented, though not for xxx-UAE purposes. So please, don't tell me that I've done again the impossible.

It requires a bit work, some inspiration, and the motivation to create a truly working product that is satisfactory. If xxx-UAE doesn't offer that level of functionality, then it might be that the authors didn't know or didn't care, probably because the code was designed for a different purpose. Once again, I do not claim that this is bad or unsatisfactory for anyome. I'm only claiming "it's not good enough for me", maybe because I know what I want and need, and I would even know how to do. Note again that this is something different.  
  Also, whether or not ISO has endorsed it, it's not a platform-neutral or even OS-neutral standard, as there are Windows keys on it...
I don't think that ISO has anything to say about extra keys with a logo on it, nor about the logo. The keys are usually called "Left Meta" and "Right Meta", and that people put M$ branding on it is just the success of M$ for it.    
Well, IIRC there's no way to type the two "international keys" (as present on some Amiga keyboards) on a standard PC keyboard, as they aren't present. (So probably every Amiga emulator fails this test.) Some kind of remapping is thus needed in any event;
"Reasonable remapping" is exactly the purpose of the emulator. It also "maps" the Amiga graphics to the PC graphics, the Amiga CPU to the PC CPU and the Amiga sound to the PC sound. What's so special about keys that you believe that this should not be done? Even if I tell you that it *can* be done?

Look, the simple algorithms currently used for keyboard remapping are probably too simple minded to do their job correctly, so emulation is not satisfactory *for me*.

It seems I have been misunderstood, sorry if my original answer was not clear. One runs the compiler, SAS/C in this case, from within the emulator. (AFAIK SAS/C is still closed source so it wouldn't be feasible to port it to another platform anyway.) Text editing of the source code can be done from the host or the guest, it doesn't make much difference.

More workarounds, then? Ok, let me see, how do I get it into the Amiga... Emulated network card, with emulated ssh connection, probably cvs on the Amiga side... Ok, probably workable, but again, that's probably too much work that could be invested in a better way by fixing up the stupid emulation. It's really not rocket science, it's elementary GUI design. It's the 101 of "making the easy things easy", and "having to create a custom keymap in the host and/or the emulated machine" is not easy, not for the average user.  

The list isn't that long. 1) Fix the keyboard, 2) Fix the mouse grab (display a message, use an accepted key) 3) Offer a complete GUI for the configuration options. 4) Fix up the file system emulation and make that complete.  

Not much can be done about the emulation speed, that's underdstood. Maybe, if I may make a wish, get the JIT working on AMD64 instead of just i386. 64bit is not exactly a new technology these days. Yes, I can run i386 code on AMD64, don't tell me, I know that. No, it still isn't a good solution. Write portable programs is the solution. Or as portable as you possibly could.

Offline kolla

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2014, 03:28:22 AM »
Thank you Thomas, for this thread, you have exposed your ignorance and stuck in the backwaters knowledge about computer systems to the point of being hilarious. Which is what I suspected at last rendevouz.

If you lack your beloved backslash on a PC keyboard in general, how do you program for other systems "professionally" using the exact same keyboard?

And for the record - I use Norwegian layout, not as messed up as the German layout, but with the same limitations when it comes to that key. And you are too lazy to get network to that box? Seriously?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Georg

• Show only replies by Georg
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776447

More workarounds, then? Ok, let me see, how do I get it into the Amiga... Emulated network card, with emulated ssh connection, probably cvs on the Amiga side...

??? As said you can mount Linux directories in UAE as AmigaOS volume. Edit a text file with Linux text editor and when saved to Linux directory it is immediately available in AmigaOS under UAE.

guest11527

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »
Quote from: Georg;776469
??? As said you can mount Linux directories in UAE as AmigaOS volume. Edit a text file with Linux text editor and when saved to Linux directory it is immediately available in AmigaOS under UAE.

Would be a nice solution if I could trust the file system emulation of xxx-UAE, which I don't. Whenever I run a check-out in the emulated system, I get an "object is not of required type" error in the shell. It's probably some type of hickup with links, I don't know. Needless to say, I don't get that in the real system, so something is wrong there, too. See also point 3) in my list above. It neither makes emulation a suitable replacement for the full original hardware.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776414
No, I'm anti "non-working solutions". MS-Word under wine works perfectly. AmigaOs under UAE does not. Big difference.   Neither. But why should I run an emulator in an emulator? If linux wasn't important enough for the original author, why should this program be important enough for me? It's acceptable if I need something for work, and word is something I need for work, but UAE isn't work. It's at best a hobby.    Perhaps. As said, I've enough projects of my own (including my own emulator), so please count me out. But objectively, this doesn't make things any more workable for me.     Very funny. There is no backslash key on a german keyboard. I believe I said this multiple times. It is at Alt-ß, and only there. These are elementary problems an emulator should be able to take care of, but apparently not.

You can offer me workarounds, but these are workarounds and no solutions. I wanted to give reasons why it the emulation doesn't work for me, and that's exactly why it doesn't, and the most important reason. If I first have to sit down and implement some work-around, or need to change my typing style because apparently the authors are unaware or unwilling to emulate a standard keyboard, then this makes things for me unusable. You may not like it, but that's what it is.   But it is a standard PC "shortcut", and thus, by all basics, it should work. There's nothing exotic or unusual about this.    The German keyboard is an ISO-standard, not a quasi-standard, and if I run an emulator on a PC, it should understand the standard PC keyboard I'm typing on. That's elementary and not asking for "too much".      I neither blame you nor the PC for not having this key. I'm blaming emulator authors for producing half-baked solutions that are non-workable. Mapping the keyboard in a correct way is a problem every emulation has to take care of, and it is not exactly a trivial problem, but neither rocket science. And the rule should be that every key you have on the emulated platform must be reachable from the emulator. The request I have is *really that simple*.  

Sigh. How do I compile a library then? SAS/C is not available under Linux. In other words, it requires quite an amount of porting the sources to make this happen. Maybe you have the time to do that, but I don't. I just want to compile and bugfix what I have, and do not have enough spare time to invest to port from one tool chain to a completely different tool chain.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the missing key is mapped to the insert key.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=939981&postcount=2
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
Guys, he doesn't want help, you're making this thread worse by offering suggestions (and it's painful enough to watch as it is).

He just needs venting, because all the other programmers suck so badly.

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776414

It doesn't require any porting or significant amounts of work at all. You just use Vamos to run the Amiga command line tools directly in Linux. You can't really throw your hands in the air until you've actually tried it.

guest11527

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;776500
Guys, he doesn't want help, you're making this thread worse by offering suggestions (and it's painful enough to watch as it is).

He just needs venting, because all the other programmers suck so badly.

No, you really don't get the point. It's not about "how everybody else sucks", or "what can I do to convince him to make the emulator working". It is "why I don't like emulation". That's on the top of the post, and that's what it is all about. There are multiple reasons for that, some of them lie in the responsibility of the corresponding authors (bad user interface concepts, lack of testing) others in the principle of the problem (lack of performance due to software emulation), others in the authors addressing an audience I don't belong to (games, rather than developers).  

You try to trivialize the problem, make me sound like a moron, whereas I'm trying to show what is actually wrong with the emulation applications we have. They are not good enough to replace the hardware, and for more than a single reason. Look at professional solutions - VMWare for example. This is of course professional software, it's arguably not exactly the same (common CPU), yet, apparently, it offers solutions to the problems I'm addressing.

Look at my "shopping list". 1) Fix the keyboard, 2) fix the mouse grab, 3) fix the configuration, 4) fix the file system emulation.

A little more care and better testing would have helped here.

guest11527

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;776495
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the missing key is mapped to the insert key.

Ah, thank you. I did not know this, this would at least make the console and the editor half-way usable, or at least usable at all. It's still not ideal since it does not follow the conventions of the german PC keyboard  and makes editing uselessly hard. It's again a matter of use-cases: For the casual user or the gamer, this is surely not a barrier. How often would you need the key in first place? For a developer, oh well...

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776505
No, you really don't get the point. It's not about "how everybody else sucks", or "what can I do to convince him to make the emulator working".

Honestly, I stopped reading when you announced you'd never use UAE under WINE, because you don't support people who don't support Linux - just two mention in the next posting, that MS-Word "works perfectly under WINE".

Btw., just noticed you got a bug report here:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/comments/thread/AN-2014-10-00011-DE.html

guest11527

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
Quote from: Leffmann;776502
It doesn't require any porting or significant amounts of work at all. You just use Vamos to run the Amiga command line tools directly in Linux. You can't really throw your hands in the air until you've actually tried it.

Where can I find "vamos"? I do not know this program, so I cannot comment. A *ix comand line tool for compiling would actually help for my use case.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;776509
Where can I find "vamos"? I do not know this program, so I cannot comment. A *ix comand line tool for compiling would actually help for my use case.

On Aros Vision (FS-UAE or WinUAE / Windows) I get the key by Alt-ß (not Alt Gr)