Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ethernet connection amiga to pc???  (Read 797 times)

Description:

Offline boingerTopic starter

• Show only replies by boinger
ethernet connection amiga to pc???
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
whats involved with hooking up an amiga 3000 to a pc using ethernet? i have an ethernet board i'm going to install in the a3000 and the pc already has it so is a special cable required (like a null-modem serial cable) or some other piece of equipment or do they just connect via the regular cable that has those phone jack like plugs at the ends. i'm currently connecting them with a null-modem cable but transfers are really slow using amiga explorer.

thanx.

Offline pVC

Re: ethernet connection amiga to pc???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »
Depends what connectors you have on your ethernet card on Amiga. Older cards may only have AUI and/or BNC connectors, but newer have modern RJ-45 standard connectors (which your PC also has presumably). If it's old without RJ-45 (phone jack style) then it's better get it converted to RJ-45 with AUI transceiver for example.

Cable should be standard RJ-45 network cable then. If you want to connect it directly computer to computer, then you need cross over version of it. If you're using switch or router, then get normal straight through cable. Switch/router is better if you want to connect both computers to internet with broadband.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline twizzle

• Show only replies by twizzle
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
my tower with a pci 10/100 fastethernet card connects with a straight rj45 cable striaght into my livebox router.

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

twizzle wrote:
my tower with a pci 10/100 fastethernet card connects with a straight rj45 cable striaght into my livebox router.

All computers connect to a router and/or switch with a straight cable. Depending on the intelligence of your switch, a crossed cable will also work, but the straight cable is standard.

Simple rule: if you want to connect two computers directly to each other, use a crosscable. If you are using a switch/hub/router or something like that, use a straight cable.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200