Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE on R4DS? (Amiga running on Nintendo DS)  (Read 1683 times)

Description:

Offline RedWarriorTopic starter

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
UAE on R4DS? (Amiga running on Nintendo DS)
« on: August 23, 2007, 01:31:14 PM »
Hey all- long time no post... (no news!) I've just been researching the Nintendo DS, in particular a nifty little unit called the R4 which allows storage of all kinds of multimedia files & games on a microSD card for playback on the DS.

So far they've emulated just about every retro console you can think of, and ported a host of oldschool games- including Amiga Lemmings. Someone even got Mac OS 7.5 running on it.

Just wondering if there's a UAE port for it? Amiga in my pocket, all on a flash card... dual screens... (touch screen and all!) How cool is that??!?

Can anyone throw hope at this wild fantasy?

Cheers,
RW

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
Re: UAE on R4DS? (Amiga running on Nintendo DS)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
I do not believe UAE has been ported to the DS yet, indeed I wonder if the DS CPU is sufficiently powerful for such emulation.

I'd certainly love to see the DS running UAE, however - one of my colleagues owns a DS mini, but only really uses it to practice his English!

Cheers,
James
x

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »
The DS is too slow to run UAE comfortably. It would not be a very satisfactory experience. If you want a DS and want to run homebrew, I recommend buying the M3 Simply, which lets you run homebrew software from a micro SD card. The DS is a lot of fun. I love mine.

If you are after a portable Amiga experience look in to the GP2X. Here is a Quicktime video of Nebulus running under UAE4ALL on my GP2X. As you can see it runs *very* well.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
BTW, why not the other way around?  :-D

Desmume for OS4

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
M3 Simply and R4 is almost the same thing. But the R4 gets firmware updates some days earlier than M3 Simply.

There's software available to use R4 firmware on M3 Simply and the other way around.

Offline RedWarriorTopic starter

• Show only replies by RedWarrior
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:15:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies! That GP2X thing looks amazing! (if only it had a touch screen...) ;)

I'm curious about what you said regarding required computing power for emulation of the Amiga... My a600 only has a 7mhz cpu, and the DS according to wikipedia has: "Two ARM processors, an ARM946E-S main CPU and ARM7TDMI co-processor at clock speeds of 67 MHz and 33 MHz respectively, with 4 MB of main memory which requires 1.65 volts."

I know there has to be room for emulation etc, but surely there's enough grunt there to let me run Rebels Megademo II or something? =)

Is there a "lite" version of UAE that might do the trick?

I kind of need to get a DS for work, so it would be great to be able to do retro Amiga stuff on it as well... ;)

Thanks for your input!
+red

Offline ruina

• Show only replies by ruina
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:29:06 AM »
Sorry, but there's no way.

I own a DS with M3 Simply (it is identical to the R4). And I also own a PSP.

UAE has gone through about 20 version numbers on PSP already and is still pitifully slow/unuseable.

And the PSP is 333MHz. That's 5 (yes, FIVE) times the clockspeed of the DS cpu. Basically, if the PSP gets 5fps, the DS will get 1. The DS has the extra coprocessor but the PSP also has one (which I assume is also faster than the 33mhz DS one). The PSP coprocessor (called Media Engine iirc) is also used in UAE iirc, but still runs too slowly to play even a500/a600 games/demos at decent rates.