Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?  (Read 17128 times)

Description:

Offline kamelitoTopic starter

AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
Hi
Since we have Scalos, Ambient or even Dopus Magellan II I found pretty strange that there's no decision from Hyperion to replace the actual paleolithic WB with one them?
Just curious...
Kamelito

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: AmigaOS 4.x WB official replacement why not?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »
@kamelito

well, i, for one, like the 'paleolithic' workbench. and i imagine there might be other customers which do as well. since you can easily run dopus5 in workbench replacement-mode on AOS4 currently, i'd rather us be able to continue to use what we each prefer. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
Most people that prefer OS4 prefer it because of said UI, imo.

For those that don't, DirOpus is always an easy option.

Offline utri007

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
OS4 already has everything wich scalos has and diropus is from arse, so hopefully current UI wount change to that.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »
i must admit i have skipped on scalos till only recently and never actually used magellan as desktop replacement. currently my interest in scalos is based upon the fact that wanderer is still inferior to it in many areas and im seeking to replace it in aros68k for amigas with something actually more usable.

but then these options are still open for os4 users, while replacing workbench as default would cause another drawback on argument about legitimacy and lineage. i think keeping it is a right and understandable decision.

Offline kamelitoTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
Hopefully it will happen one day, or not.

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwbarthel_en.php

Kamelito

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Not sure why anyone would be bucking for Hyperion itself to effectively throw away what is pretty much their meal ticket in favor of a UI replacement that no one is really asking for.  Why would they?  Progress?  Why change what works, especially when users can customize the UI themselves anyways *if* they choose to.  I'm a big fan of the bare bones, no bells and whistles Hyperion bone stock WB.

That, in some sense - is like wondering why Ford doesn't simply throw away the design paperwork for the Mustang because some guy is shouting that the Pinto is a more apt choice for what is their most recognizable/flagship auto, lol.

If another UI experience is something you'd like, assuming you're even an OS4 user - there's options like DirOpus, many choices for themes, and if you're so inclined, program your own solution for it.  Voila.

As for Ambient and MOS, it's an acquired taste.  I am a registered MOS user, and I like the OS very much, but I'd be lying if I tried to tell you that I care for the design of it in the least, so I mostly use OS4.  That's a matter of personal preference only - many people are the exact opposite.

Were the default OS4 experience to suddenly be retooled to look like an Ambient knockoff, I'd quit using OS4.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:22:29 PM »
Hope they don't, it is what makes it feel like an Amiga. MorphOS on the other hand doesn't feel or look anything like 3.9 or earlier.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
I am not a fan of OS4, but I see no reason at all to use Scalos or Magellan on it. And Ambient is nice, but it is a totally alien desktop, nothing Amiga-ish in it.

Both Scalos and Magellan on the other hand, are pretty good enhancements for 68k Amigas. I personally have chosen Scalos over Magellan for all my high-end setups. It is a pitty that development on it seems stalled.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;790165
I personally have chosen Scalos over Magellan for all my high-end setups. It is a pitty that development on it seems stalled.

it is open, it has an own repository and is hosted within aros source. so if there was necessity and resources to be developed further it could be.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
The OS4.1 WB IMHO has a beautiful look, has high functionality, and has that classic Amiga feel to it.  While this may not appeal to everyone, and there are always people unhappy with "something," I am not sure that Hyperion/A-Eon/Amigakit are willing to write a new interface just for a minority; and in the realm of the Amiga minority, a second subset must really be a minority.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
What would OS3.X have to go through to be on par with OS4.X?
I really do not know how to ask the question.
I do not know how different the two are from each other.
( Let's get ready to rumble! :D )
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;790172
What would OS3.X have to go through to be on par with OS4.X?
I really do not know how to ask the question.
I do not know how different the two are from each other.
( Let's get ready to rumble! :D )

OS3.X went through a lot of hard work over many to become OS4.1+, so the question seems to be, "How could I find a new independent version of OS4 also derived from OS3 that went through some other pathway than what Hyperion used?"

Some people would answer MorphOS.  I would not myself.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;790160
Hope they don't, it is what makes it feel like an Amiga. MorphOS on the other hand doesn't feel or look anything like 3.9 or earlier.

Thank God for that.
Yes, let Hyperion do as they want.
If you're tied that much to a specific look and feel, you're likely to go with AOS 4.1.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Ambient is a significant improvement that functions similar to Workbench.

Scalos hasn't received enough polish.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;790160

MorphOS can be configured to be very OS3.x-like, and that's how I've got my system configured. The only thing I really miss is that not all of the traditional menu options are available in the pull down menus. They are in the context menus, though.