Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Win 8.1 Dual Function Tablet Laptop 64-bit?  (Read 4168 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Win 8.1 Dual Function Tablet Laptop 64-bit?
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
Hello, I made a post forever ago that I can't find. What I was asking about at the time was one of those Windows 8.1 based Tablet/Laptop devices that ran on a 64-bit processor, thus giving it compatibility with my Windows 7 and XP software (in theory).

Well I am back, I forget what model of Laptop/Tablet was suggested, but I recall a few people swearing by one in particular that worked very very well, but at the time the price tag was very high.

The price range I am looking for is around $600 or less. I do not want anything HP, and I want to make sure it's not something that is going to die shortly after the warranty has expired.

Any help is always appreciated!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline danbeaver

Re: Win 8.1 Dual Function Tablet Laptop 64-bit?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:09:15 AM »
What screen size, and does the keyboard have to be part of the computer or a separate bluetooth one?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:44:28 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;780781
What screen size, and does the keyboard have to be part of the computer or a separate bluetooth one?

10" or better, and the keyboard does not have to be physically attached per say, though it does need to have USB ports and everything like a real laptop. In other words, the ability to use it just like a laptop should they want to. Mice are nice! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:00:13 AM »
The ASUS Vivotab Smart ME400C-C2-BK 10.1-Inch 64GB Tablet goes for $329 on Amazon with:

• Windows 8, 10.1" with Multi-Touch Screen WXGA (1366x768) ScreenIPS Panel
  • IntelĀ® Atom™ Z2760 Dual-Core @ 1.8GHz, 2 GB DDR3, 64 GB Storage
  • WLAN 802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz, Bluetooth V4.0, 2 MP Front Camera, 8 MP Rear Camera
  • Stereo Speakers, 1 x 2-in-1 Audio  Jack (Headphone / Mic-in), 1 x micro HDMI, 1 x Micro USB, 1 x Micro SD  Card Reader(SDHC), G-Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope, E-compass, Hall  sensor, NFC
The MicroUSB port comes with a OTG to regular USB cable I believe.  The Atom CPU isn't all that snappy, but trades cost for performance.  Boots quickly and with added Bluetooth keyboard and mouse works ok.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
Oops, I just googled the CPU specs and it is a 32-bit running 32-bit Win 8.1

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:45:46 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;780786
Oops, I just googled the CPU specs and it is a 32-bit running 32-bit Win 8.1

That one is too close to a tablet anyhow to be quite honest. Good price though.

The other thing is that I'm looking for something people here have had some experience with, or know for sure is considered to be reliable  amongst circles within the tech world.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »
You may want to look to China rather than Taiwan to keep an i3 or better less than $600

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:07:31 AM »
Only 8.1 tablet I find worthwhile using is the Surface 3, tbh.  However, it's by no means a budget device, and quite frankly by the time you get it spec'ed out in mid to high end level, the cost exceeds what a fairly high end laptop costs.

There's some budget ones with Atom CPU's in them, but I find the Atom powered ones so woefully weak that I wouldn't recommend them in the least.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »
These don't appear to be terrible

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/flex-series/

Although the form factor might not be quite what you were thinking as it doesn't fold flat.

The Yoga 2 13 is a little more expensive (the other Yoga models are a lot more expensive) and might be what you're looking for.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/

I think you'll struggle to find anything branded for $600 and that makes it unlikely it will last longer than the warranty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:07:40 PM by psxphill »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
@danbeaver
how do you want to reach compatibility to win7 application base on 32bit arm device?

obviously the device in question is surface pro, whatever version. it is a touch device with a reasonably large high resolution screen and pressure sensitive stylus, an i5 processor, good expandability through wlan, bluetooth, usb3 and few other options and win8. the drawback is low capacity internal ssd. but all in all very dependable device with good backward compatibility. im writing this from surface pro 1 i own since more than a year and am using underway for all my computer tasks like digital imaging or compiling amiga stuff under vmware debian.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;780800
These don't appear to be terrible

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/flex-series/

Although the form factor might not be quite what you were thinking as it doesn't fold flat.

The Yoga 2 13 is a little more expensive (the other Yoga models are a lot more expensive) and might be what you're looking for.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/

I think you'll struggle to find anything branded for $600 and that makes it unlikely it will last longer than the warranty.

Thanks, I am not familiar with Lenovo or their products, but I'll read up on these puppies!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;780811
Thanks, I am not familiar with Lenovo or their products, but I'll read up on these puppies!

i owned lenovo notebooks, in fact i still have one, but top models are too expensive in comparison to features and they use to break down when used extensively just as cheaper devices. i woulnt invest much money there anymore. surface i bought was exactly within 600 price range, i doubt that will be the case with a corresponding model of lenovo.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;780810
@danbeaver
how do you want to reach compatibility to win7 application base on 32bit arm device?

The one he listed was a 32bit atom, which is x86.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;780810
@danbeaver

The one he listed was a 32bit atom (Z2760) which runs x86.
But for $600 or less you're looking at arm, unless you find something second hand/on clearance/ebay which is irrelevant to the question.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:22:14 PM by psxphill »

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
Thank you Psxphill,

Wawrzon, I don't believe Intel believes in the ARM architecture having invested money on there own design, although Microsoft has Windows 8.1 RT, which is not really useful except for Cerfing the web and light tasks.

There are Intel based tablet/laptops below $600 and plenty of laptops in that range, but you will be looking at non-familiar names on AliExpress or similar.  A good tablet paired with a typable keyboard in a fitting cover is the cheapest option, but finding a powerful enough CPU for quick response on a bloated OS is the true problem.  C'est la vie!