Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga - It Outlived Them All...  (Read 7609 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: Amiga - It Outlived Them All...
« Reply #59 from previous page: June 04, 2011, 08:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Franko;642029
It may be dead to you but it sure aint to me and yes it's still going strong for a 25 year old piece of computing hardware... :)

The point I was making (as you don't seem able to grasp it) is, when compared to the Amiga forums and current Amiga scene all the others I have listed don't seem to have the same amount of still active users posting on them... :)

The Atari 8bit scene is very active, hardware and software projects and games being produced all the time as well as demos. The 8bit computer section of Atariage sees more posting action than any other forum for any other machine most of the time.

As that is a 1979 machine that technically is the oldest one.

Having said that very few machines don't have a working emulator STILL, classic example is the Memotech MTX 500 or 512 machines. Real shame as I have working ORIC/Aquarius/TRS80/TI99/ZX81 and other emulators.

Also whilst the Archimedes from Acorn has a good emulator, very few games have been cracked properly so can not be put onto ADFs for use with the emulator. The TOSEC is pretty small. But then they have a nice little £100 kit to build a RISC-OS compatible machine too.

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;642133
I agree. The Amiga is the only retro computer that outlived ...

Many valid points there, couldnt agree more. As an everyday usable computer the Amiga surely outlived them all. Like you said, no other 'retro' platform still has decent hardware/software development, relatively modern operating system and such an active user community.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;642348
Many valid points there, couldnt agree more. As an everyday usable computer the Amiga surely outlived them all. Like you said, no other 'retro' platform still has decent hardware/software development, relatively modern operating system and such an active user community.

Don't know the details but I'd say RISCOS challenges Amiga on most or all of those.

An even better "retro" challenger is Haiku.  It's a lot more modern, runs on far better hardware and while it's hard to get numbers of the user base the numbers of people downloading it were in the order of hundreds of thousands.

BTW Going by numbers of active forum users is a completely useless way of measuring popularity of an OS. e.g. Haiku has never had a forum based community so you'd get the impression it's quite small.

Offline Surf's Up

• Show only replies by Surf's Up
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
Any system that is not being manufactured anymore is technically dead.
However many old systems still are in use by enthusiasts like the people you find here and other websites.
I myself have a number of Amiga systems here at home with me , but my favorite is still my old Apple IIe systems - mainly because I grew up with them so have fonder memories of the Apple rather than the Amiga. Though the Amiga can do so much more than the Apple II could.

Many old systems etc are still valid for many people , I still know people using SNES and Megadrive consoles , heck I know someone with an Atari VCS.

I have all the modern consoles but I still can't get past games like Super Frog or Great Giana Sisters on the Amiga , or Odyssey or the original Wizardry on my Apple IIs. Even more validly , these systems are still working ( generally ) sometimes after 20+ years - I doubt we'll see a PS3 or XBox360 last that long.

Also to add to your list of "dead" pcs you can list the Hitachi Peach - not sure what name it was sold by in other countries , but it came out about a year after the Apple II. I remember being very tempted as the graphics were better. I have a feeling it may have got lost very quickly.

Also there was the Tandy TRS-80 - this was very popular in it's day , even producing clones called the System-80 here in Australia. Always remember the game Time Trek on this as being my fav. If you put an am radio near the pc , you could get "sound effects" and get a noise when the Klingons
were getting ready to fire etc.

Got to love retro gaming!

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
I believe the two computers most fondly remembered ever are:

Commodore 64 it out lasted so many other 8 bit micro's and hell they even made a console version out of it!

Amiga, it outlasted just about every other 16 bit computer out there.  An Amiga is actually still usable today as it was back then!  

In terms of publications Commodore 64 and Amiga were well supported with Zzap 64 and Amiga Format....I dont think any other computer had that kind of support and no other computer has since!
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project