Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USB not working on AmigaOneXE/G4 4.1U6  (Read 1710 times)

Description:

Offline cehoferTopic starter

USB not working on AmigaOneXE/G4 4.1U6
« on: December 13, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
I recently re-imaged my AmigaOneXE to 4.1U1 and then upgraded it to Update 6.  I also ran several auto updates as well.  I don't remember if the USB worked before but it doesn't recognize anything now.  I tried USB thumb drives and logitech mices just to test things.  Nothing.

I have not changed any of the defaults of the software and it appears that all the USB drivers are in their proper location.  I also checked UBoot 1.1.1 and it says both front and back USB ports are active.  I have also tried the USBCTRL stop/start/restart without issue.

I am sure it is something I am missing or a Bug.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: USB not working on AmigaOneXE/G4 4.1U6
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
@cehofer

does your A1XE have the 'DMA fix' by any chance? in any case USB on those boards is a tad wonky if you're using the on-board USB support. and, like the pegasos2, it's limited to USB1.1 speeds. a few questions for you:

1.  you say you updated from update 1 to update 6 -- did you update sequentially, i.e., install update 1, then update 2, then update 3, and so forth?
2.  are you using on-board USB or USB via a PCI card?
3.  if using the on-board USB, have you tried commenting out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd" in SYS:Kickstart?

USB support in current versions of AOS4 is pretty good, and much, much faster than before. let's try and figure out why you're having trouble. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Dont know about the DMA fix

1. yes I re imaged 4.1 U1 then I applied 2 - 6.
2. onboard USB
3. No.

I am in the middle of a backup so can try #3 when finished.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:38:52 PM by cehofer »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
@cehofer

ah. ok. this probably isn't what you were hoping to hear, but i'd seriously recommend purchasing a USB2 PCI card. you'll avoid the stability issues that the A1XE has with its on-board USB support and can enjoy USB2 speeds. the cards are less than $20 at most retailers. for example i have a startech seven-port card that cost me $12 USD. works great and i no longer have to bother with the slow on-board USB of my pegasos2.

-- eliyahu

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
Ok. I don't have an issue doing that but what can I do right now to get it working?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »
IIRC quite a few of the Teron boards have non-working USB and the only solution is to use a PCI USB card.

As Eliyahu said, they are really cheap on ebay and amazon and will solve the problem permanently.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Ok.  I am looking for the #3
3. if using the on-board USB, have you tried commenting out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd" in SYS:Kickstart?

I am not seeing it.  What script would that be in?

Also, another issue I am having is not everytime but either when i turn on or reboot, the HD light will come on full for 30 seconds and nothing just a black screen.  If I reboot, i will get the uboot screen and it will start.  Another weird thing is I will not get any error but it will boot to AmigaOS but mouse will not work.  Recently I have had it boot into the old kickstart screen like I held both mouse buttons down.  I'll try and replace my mouse.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;754304
IIRC quite a few of the Teron boards have non-working USB and the only solution is to use a PCI USB card.
unfortunately, yeah. there were actually three main "issues" with the XE boards, the USB problem being one of them. for folks interested tony wyatt has a good breakdown on what the problems were and how to solve them (potentially) here.

As Eliyahu said, they are really cheap on ebay and amazon and will solve the problem permanently.
absolutely. i'd recommend it for all A1 and pegasos owners as well. i never had any functional issues with the on-board peg2 USB, but my stars, it's slow.

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;754305
Ok.  I am looking for the #3
3. if using the on-board USB, have you tried commenting out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd" in SYS:Kickstart?

I am not seeing it.  What script would that be in?
sorry, i forgot to mention that. it's in your kicklayout file in SYS:Kickstart. :)

Also, another issue I am having is not everytime but either when i turn on or reboot, the HD light will come on full for 30 seconds and nothing just a black screen.  If I reboot, i will get the uboot screen and it will start.  Another weird thing is I will not get any error but it will boot to AmigaOS but mouse will not work.  Recently I have had it boot into the old kickstart screen like I held both mouse buttons down.  I'll try and replace my mouse.
hmmm.... have you replaced the clock battery? sounds like it's getting a touch low. i don't suppose you have any PS/2 mice or keyboard lying around, do you? you might try those in the interim if that's the only thing for which you have an immediate need for USB.

edit: i forgot to mention earlier, but you might try bringing up issues like these at the official AOS support forum as well. developers, beta testers, and seasoned users are available there for issues just like this and it's a nice place to try for help in addition to community forums like amiga.org.

-- eliyahu

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
I have replaced the batter a few days ago hoping this would stop the Black screen of death.  I have just swapped the mouse.

I was waiting for my account to be activated on OS forum.  I just posted this there.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
Did Option 3

Did not work.  I found the Startech 7port for $14 on amazon.  I'll order that.

So install will just be plug and play?  I will not have to do anything?

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;754313
Did Option 3

Did not work.  I found the Startech 7port for $14 on amazon.  I'll order that.

So install will just be plug and play?  I will not have to do anything?
yup. plug in the card, power back on. job done. of course you'll need to use the card's ports from now on. ;)

-- eliyahu

Offline Rob

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;754293
I recently re-imaged my AmigaOneXE to 4.1U1 and then upgraded it to Update 6.  I also ran several auto updates as well.  I don't remember if the USB worked before but it doesn't recognize anything now.  I tried USB thumb drives and logitech mices just to test things.  Nothing.

I have not changed any of the defaults of the software and it appears that all the USB drivers are in their proper location.  I also checked UBoot 1.1.1 and it says both front and back USB ports are active.  I have also tried the USBCTRL stop/start/restart without issue.

I am sure it is something I am missing or a Bug.

Are the USB ports enabled in the Uboot menu settings?

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 03:24:56 AM »
Yes.  In Uboot both front and back are checked.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:27:32 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;754306
unfortunately, yeah. there were actually three main "issues" with the XE boards, the USB problem being one of them.
-- eliyahu

Dont use the quotes for "issues" This is well known and well documented in the developer world about the TERON boards (aka Amiga 1) its the lovely Articia S that all the fanboys defended so much.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs