Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices and crappy i3  (Read 16967 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices and crappy i3
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:54 AM »
Quote from: Duce;765924
He was referring to the Surface 3, John.  Which is actually getting quite positive hands on reviews.

I just got a dell venue 8 with windows 8.1 and I really like it. I have never seen surface 3 but its probably a very usable device based on my experience with this cheapo device.

I do like it better than my previous tablet - a Samsung galaxy tab.

I think people just look for any reason to hate m$ft.

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:44:25 AM »
Quote from: Duce;766052
The idea that the expansions available on iPad is even remotely comparable to a full fledged Windows portable machine like the surface is insane.  I've tried them all on Apple devices, from things like the HyperDrive to the Mophie devices for the iPhone.  All are a kludge and are inelegant at best.

I totally agree. I can't even see the point of iOS anything until they add proper file support.

One thing also to keep in mind is that Windows 8.1 actually lets you use the SD card as a drive for any purpose. Install programs, etc...

Android likes to limit your applications to the primary storage and you need hacks to relocate them the SD. That is my experience anyway.

I put Photoshop 7.0 on my dell venue 8 pro. not real usable without a mouse but it sure does fly....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:47:34 AM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:46:58 AM »
Quote from: Duce;766055
Had the same issues with Android and SD cards, unfortunately.  If/when they ever get it working like it should - seamless storage between the onboard and card, I'll likely switch to Android entirely.

Well, it does work, but it's highly dependent on the app as well.  Winamp for example, works just fine with SD cards.  Fire it up and your media is there right away, ready to play.

VLC though, it sits there churning every single time I fire it up on my Android devices rescanning the SD card for media, and that takes far too long with a 64 GB card stacked full of media.

I was browsing some venue forums and I see someone had found a BIOS setting that increased the speed of my ssd as well as sd over 30%. I have no issue playing one 1080p video of the sd card while coping another video from a network share to the same sd-micro. Im sure surface 3 is just as capable.

I have two generations of galaxy tabs which are stuck on android 2.x and 3.x respectively without upgrades. Maybe that is my fault for buying samsung. I think that will be less of an issue with x86 windows.