Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?  (Read 3922 times)

Description:

Offline Donar

• Show all replies
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »

Anding wrote:
I love the Amiga but I now need more.   If I distil what I love about the Amiga it is

- Transparency.  With a little time you can understand all that is going on with the operating system, what all the files on your HDD do, and how things work "under the hood".  Contrast this with Windows which is a black box with millions of almost unknowable pieces.

-I will keep using my Amigas (under UAE, with AmiBlitz to be precise), ..., but get access to new hardware, graphics acceleration, new coding opportunities...

Andy

Why not get a PegasosII? It runs Linux and MorphOS, which is an Amiga like operating system itself. You can use Radeon cards up to the Radeon 9250 and even 3d drivers are there. I have to admit that there is a way bigger developer community for Linux x86 than for PPC Linux.

Bye
<- Amiga 1260 / CD ->
Looking for:
A1200/CF CFV4/@200,256MB,eAGA,SATA,120GB,AROS :D

Offline Donar

• Show all replies
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:27 PM »
The PegasosII Motherboard with 1 GHZ CPU module costs $499/€415 according to Genesi's webshop. At least you had to add a case,psu,Ram,Mouse and Keyboard to the setup, if you already have CD-Rom, HD and a VGA Monitor.

Bye
<- Amiga 1260 / CD ->
Looking for:
A1200/CF CFV4/@200,256MB,eAGA,SATA,120GB,AROS :D