Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?  (Read 3900 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
Re: Can Linux cure my craving for AmigaDOS?
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:26:01 PM »
amigados is based on unix, thats why it is so easy to port unix programs over.
linux is an opensource version of unix
its not surprising that there are lots of similarities. many people have tried linux and found it to be too complicated, thats one of the reasons AROS has so much promise.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 01:45:48 PM »
check the command stucture, command naming, multitasking setup, disk management and many other things about the os.

if you are comfortable with unix you will be very comfortable with amiga. there are many many commonalities. the same cannot be said of amigaos and msdos, or amigados and many other os's and the fact that much unix software has been ported to and from amigados and unix shows that they are similar on many respects. some unix source only has to be recompiled with a larger than normal stack and minor disk and video tweaks.

if someone was to rewrite linux to be simple for anyone to use it would be very very similar to amigados
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
unix was developed in 1969, tripos was based on unix  and written in bcpl a c-like language in 1976, later when the os was being develped for amiga a change was made when metacomco was contacted for an os. they took a 68k version of tripos and developed it for the amigas hardware.

in the 80s many many programs were ported from unix for the amiga including rendering programs, text stuff, spreadsheet programs, lots of postscript programs etc etc. go to aminet and type in unix into the search you will find lots of programs including games that were ported

go to google or any other search engine and type in amigados unix tripos and you will find os history sites some of which actually call tripos a unix clone although it is not. amigados is a direct offshoot of tripos, which is an indirect ofshoot of unix. there was a lot of os development especially in american universities in the 70's that was based more or less on unix. including minux which infuenced linux.

software porting has stopped for many reasons not the least of which is the fact that many of the programmers who were doing the porting have moved over to linux, and the fact that most amigans dont run an x-window server which is neccisary for newer software even though they could.  
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »
mac osx is based directly on bsd unix.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
how much would a pegasos setup cost and where can you get it. its been a while since i last checked
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 09:47:18 PM »
shoot thats a bit out of my range right not, oh well
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:17:04 AM »
wtf??? dont be so rude
get to  computer and read the last dozen posts
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 11:00:48 PM »

Zac67 wrote:
@KThunder
AmigaDOS is (for a very large part) a port of TRIPOS - but TRIPOS isn't based on Unix at all. If you take a look at the interna - memory management, message passing, micro kernel - this is quite obvious.

you are correct about memory management to a point. the designers of tripos puposely didnt use the same memory setup as unix as they were designing an os for a completely different purpose than mainframes. message passing is actually very similar except again we arent using mainframes and batch processing and time sharing. microkernal setup is differnt partially because commodore et. al. used a rom for basic functions and exec for everything else.

dozens af computer scientists around the world tracing the history of unix and its flavors place tripos in the tree so to speak and the 68k implementation that became amigaos as a direct sucessor. the command stucture, batch file setup init. files etc. etc. are very similar. but maybe we are all wrong.
think of it this way in the 70's you had microcomputers beginning to show up and they needed an os. some of the os designers used cp/m or some variant or based their setup on that. some just used basic as their os. and some based their work on unix.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)