Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sad day  (Read 5161 times)

Description:

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
Re: A sad day
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826389
Well said, if you can get one. The only system I'd have that would work would be an A2000, and I've seen that done with an adapter card to the cpu slot for some reason.

And I don't think the X5000 is that high priced either.
OS4.1 under emulation is more of a "try it and see if you like it" solution.
And once MorphOS 3.10 is released, well...I can't run that via emulation.

So regardless of this thread, I'm still going to eventually have to go to Matt with my hat in my hand.

Besides, I really want to run the NG OS' with a Radeon HD 7770 or an R9 270X, not emulating a legacy RTG card.
And both OS4 and MorphOS should eventually support the same audio and video cards, so a tri-boot system with Linux will be possible.

I think I get about 30 - 60% of the X5000 in terms of raw CPU performance running AmigaOS 4.1 under emulation on my Ryzen 1800X desktop. Maybe similar to the A1222?

As you mention there are other limitations. No hardware compositing means scrolling, animations etc. are jerky and slow, making web browsing painful and watching videos impossible. Also, only ~500 MB memory can be made available, even when running the emulation on a 64-bit OS. It's by no means the "full" AmigaOS 4 experience. More like a "demo/trial version".

However since I already own a ~$1000, 8-core desktop system with 16 GB of RAM and 8 GB VRAM, I would never spend twice that for half the clockspeed, a quarter of the cores and a 4 years old GPU. The A1222 however looks very interesting to me as a secondary/hobby system, while still using my main PC for more compute heavy tasks and gaming.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:24:57 PM by JimmiG »

Offline JimmiG

• Show all replies
Re: A sad day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826415
The only problem with that compromise is you get similar performance to your emulated system, but it is more affordable and you get video support.
I'm just not interested in using a cpu with a crippled fpu.

We don't know yet how crippled the FPU will be under AmigaOS. It might not be that bad, and many (most) applications don't even use FPU. Besides I have 8x FPU's at 4 GHz in the other box if for some reason I need to do something FPU heavy.
It would be silly to use something like the X5000 under AmigaOS for FPU heavy tasks anyway, where it's single-threaded.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:53:28 PM by JimmiG »