Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sad day  (Read 4988 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: Now what?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;826320
There are still a whole lot of classic uers in the North America to cater to. Get a few Vampires, ACA's and Indivisions for hardware, then add some software, OS disks maybe even be a NA dealer of Final Office when done for example.

+1 and I they had started supplying some classic stuff on their site as well b ut personally being both a classic and NG user I hope they get their supplier/distribution issues ironed out as it's nice to have an Amiga dealer on this side of the pond again.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
Quote from: Debaser;826316
Well put Iggy.

Let's pause for a moment and think about who has the most to lose in dropping the line that built your business. The distributor/mfg, or the reseller. :) I mean come on... painting a picture of sour grapes or hissy-fits and lack of gratitude is silly given this dealer's investment and hard work. I am pretty sure they were probably the biggest gift and shot in the arm that Amigakit has ever seen (maybe going on on a limb but ummm.... call another dealer and ask if they have stock for same-day shipment, I dare you... just a hunch, but a strong hunch)

ehh... I will just shut up. I just hate to see mud slung on a small business trying to make something happen in our crazy ass hobby.

My intent was not to "sling mud" at either AOTL or AmigaKit.
Rather, I felt a bit put out by that comment on "unprofessional" behavior.
I had money stashed in a gift certificate @ AOTL (for a future X5000 purchase) that I've just pulled out to buy an SSD for a MorphOS system.

Not a good situation, but I'm sure there is a reason for our only US Amiga vendor to back away from AmigaKit.
And while we may never know what this is, but I'm already affected by this, and its not a good situation.
I WON'T be paying for shipment of an X5000 across the Atlantic, so we'll have to see how AmigaKit compensates for this (because, while they operate a "US" store, they afair, do not have US warehouse facilities).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:01:05 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline djomre

• Show only replies by djomre
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 11:09:32 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;826289
"We have made a decision, concerning both A-EON and AmigaKit. The decision we made is grounded in our experience during the last 8 months in regards to both companies. As a result we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form.

Bummer, I was planning to buy an X5000 from them too.   This makes me think twice.   I've never understood the compulsion to do one's laundry on the internet.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »
Quote from: djomre;826324
Bummer, I was planning to buy an X5000 from them too.   This makes me think twice.   I've never understood the compulsion to do one's laundry on the internet.
@djomre

Yeah, the market is too small for this sort of petulance. Some respect for Trevor and Matthew wouldn't go a miss! Personally I'm glad that Amigakit have been able to start selling complete systems directly to UK customers and if that decision to divert stock away from third party suppliers was a factor in the 'throwing the teddies out of the pram' antics at Amiga on the Lake, then so be it. The market was always bigger in Europe anyway for Amigas.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline klx300r

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826325
@djomre

...The market was always bigger in Europe anyway for Amigas.

now now that's for another thread eh:swords::D

keep in mind that many of us have spent quite a bit extra on shipping over the years for our Amiga gear etc. once Software Hut and here in Canada (Comspec) went under so it's in our interest to have a reputable dealer on this side of the pond

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »
From AOTL 24 Nov 2016: "I am very proud to tell you all that Amiga On The Lake has so far sold more AmigaOneX5000s than all other resellers in the world combined, so far (to the best of our understanding). This is do in part to the fact that AmigaKit does not have them on there site as of yet. Rest assured that things will change when they do."

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71642

Well, I remember this statement form back then (and dug it up) thinking what's "Rest assured that things will change when they do" supposed to mean. I thought the statement was out of place right off the bat as A: the information was not essential to the reader in an introduction, B: seemed to give off a vague threat, and C: why was I, the reader,  supposed to be rest assured.

Then this comes outta nowhere (Hmmmm - nowhere?): Do you think AmigaOne X5000 will be available to buy on Amigakit website this summer?

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72395

Follett, who is support for AmigaKit, even thought the question was outta place on the forum:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=826125&postcount=8

Mike thought this question had ulterior motives too:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=826151&postcount=21

Then came "Now What?"

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72395

Now, I'm no Barney Fife but, it would seem that AOTL may have had an agreement with AmigaKit to not sell Amiga5000's until, maybe, a certain future date. And if AmigaKit did sell before any agreed future date then......... the AmigaKit/AOTL plug got pulled!

I just can't help think that there are some folks in the Amiga background whom are just not who they portend to be... FPF?

I love a good conspiracy though..... :rolleyes:

And now http://www.amigaworld.net/ is down.....

Weird-o-rama!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:56:11 AM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
@Iggy

Unprofessional is EXACTLY the term I'd use for the statement from Amiga on the Lake. In particular the sentance:

... we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form.

These sentiments wreaks of personal anger and bitterness rather than some cool level headed words communicating a sound business decision. I'm not saying running an Amiga retail business is easy but don't make this personal!! A simple statement about the "ceasing of all distribution of A-EON and Amigakit products due to an unforeseen conflict of interests" would have been more than sufficient.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 12:07:25 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826325
@djomre

Yeah, the market is too small for this sort of petulance. Some respect for Trevor and Matthew wouldn't go a miss! Personally I'm glad that Amigakit have been able to start selling complete systems directly to UK customers and if that decision to divert stock away from third party suppliers was a factor in the 'throwing the teddies out of the pram' antics at Amiga on the Lake, then so be it. The market was always bigger in Europe anyway for Amigas.

Your logic is just another reason to consider NOT following through with my decision to support the X5000.
That is, IF I thought that this was the reason behind this, and I DON'T know.

So, unlike you, I'm not ready to throw anyone under the bus (that is, unless I ever happen to be at a bus stop with B. Hermans, ;-) just kidding there).

Respect for Matt and Trevor?
Sure, why not?
But I like Aaron, and assume he didn't come to this decision lightly.

SO, at this point, I'm not taking sides in the matter.

I did just place an order with AOTL though.
And I would have preferred to order my X5000 from a vendor in the US.

BTW - I got this as part of a return message related to my order "Thanks Jim. We WILL be doing other stuff to help AmigaOS4 and Morph and AROS trust me".
SO...does THAT sound disrespectful?
It sounds like a commitment to the community to me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:13:30 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline klx300r

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
coincidence that amigaworld.net is down now ;):cool:

...the amiga users soap opera show continues in 5, 4, 3, 2........

Offline Spectre660

• Show only replies by Spectre660
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 12:33:25 AM »
They were doing a Server upgrade from an end of life version of Ubuntu.

Quote from: klx300r;826330
coincidence that amigaworld.net is down now ;):cool:

...the amiga users soap opera show continues in 5, 4, 3, 2........
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:27 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826328
@Iggy

Unprofessional is EXACTLY the term I'd use for the statement from Amiga on the Lake. In particular the sentance:

These sentiments wreaks of personal anger and bitterness rather than some cool level headed words communicating a sound business decision. I'm not saying running an Amiga retail business is easy but don't make this personal!! A simple statement about the "ceasing of all distribution of A-EON and Amigakit products due to an unforeseen conflict of interests" would have been more than sufficient.

Obviously we have a STRONG  difference of opinion here.
From my point of view, having been in the electronic retailing business, you don't make a decision like this lightly.

"... we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form"

or

"ceasing of all distribution of A-EON and Amigakit products due to an unforeseen conflict of interests"

Who cares? Obviously there is a reason behind this, AND as this IS a business, NOT personal, I'd have to assume its a good one.

As such, AOTL still retains me as a customer.

Unlike AmigaKit, which has misquoted me on the forum about a complaint before, Aaron has never abused my trust.

Quote from: Spectre660;826331
They were doing a Server upgrade from an end of life version of Ubuntu.

Right in the middle of my editing of a comment.
Hmm, and Amiga.org and AmigaWorld are run by whom again? :hammer:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:37:11 AM by Iggy »

Offline amiman99

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 12:39:35 AM »
I didn't even heard of "Amiga on the Lake". Till now...
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;826323
My intent was not to "sling mud" at either AOTL or AmigaKit.
Rather, I felt a bit put out by that comment on "unprofessional" behavior.
I had money stashed in a gift certificate @ AOTL (for a future X5000 purchase) that I've just pulled out to buy an SSD for a MorphOS system.

Not a good situation, but I'm sure there is a reason for our only US Amiga vendor to back away from AmigaKit.
And while we may never know what this is, but I'm already affected by this, and its not a good situation.
I WON'T be paying for shipment of an X5000 across the Atlantic, so we'll have to see how AmigaKit compensates for this (because, while they operate a "US" store, they afair, do not have US warehouse facilities).

Sorry Iggy I was simply saying that I agreed with your post.. my comments below were directed at those who we stating in some way that AOTL was in the wrong or being unprofessional.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 02:17:37 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;826332
Unlike AmigaKit, which has misquoted me on the forum about a complaint before, Aaron has never abused my trust.
i have to agree 110%. aaron has been incredible at customer service, and i seriously doubt that this it it a coincidence that this happens once amigakit offers the X5000 system to US, GB, and EU customers. just look at the pricing, and then ask why AOTL might not be able to match it. aaron is a stand-up guy. he wouldn't pull any drama, and i have absolutely no doubt that he got tired of his treatment by amigakit, since they are the only source of A-EON stock to other dealers. i guess that means if i ever want to make another A-EON purchase, it will have to be via amigastore.eu instead.

i'm really sorry for aaron things turned out this way. :(

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:45:12 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;826337
i have to agree 110%. aaron has been incredible at customer service, and i seriously doubt that this it it a coincidence that this happens once amigakit offers the X5000 system to US, GB, and EU customers. just look at the pricing, and then ask why AOTL might not be able to match it. aaron is a stand-up guy. he wouldn't pull any drama, and i have absolutely no doubt that he got tired of his treatment by amigakit, since they are the only source of A-EON stock to other dealers. i guess that means if i ever want to make another A-EON purchase, it will have to be via amigastore.eu instead.

i'm really sorry for aaron things turned out this way. :(

-- eliyahu

Thanks...this entire situation has left me with a headache (that's not a metaphor, I've got a really bad stress headache).
On "professional", I do NOT know what has happened, BUT you don't undercut your dealers (if you want to retain them), SO...IF that is what has happened....

Well..you all figure it out. I'm sitting here on a Sunday without a hangover STILL feeling like crap, with phrases like "its just a hobby", "the name is cursed", and "I'm relying on a very small group of companies, with an indefinite timetable to deliver the goods" going round my head.

Oh, and eliyahu?
"i'm really sorry for aaron things turned out this way. :("

Again thanks, because it expresses my sentiments as well.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 28, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826328
@Iggy

I had the same thought but on this part:
The decision we made is grounded in our experience during the last 8 months in regards to both companies.

What experience? What happened? Why do you not want to reiterate the grounds of your decision? Do you just want us to agree with you because '8 months of experience'? This kind of self-righteous yet 'mysterious' and not wanting to state facts -attitude makes me very wary.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'