Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A sad day  (Read 5002 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: A sad day
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 31, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »
I never thought it would be me saying this first but BRING BACK FRANKO! :)

Plenty of nuts for his squirrels here lol
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;826511
Trying to get back on topic, that article linked makes sense.  Trevor has been very vocal that they are looking to sell the hardware at what they consider "cost" or very close to it, and hope to make profit through software (AMIstore, etc.).  This business model makes it difficult to have a reseller channel - you can't expect a reseller to not expect some kind of margin for something you want them to sell and support.  I believe A-Eon expects resellers to tack on profit by selling accessories, assembling complete systems, etc., but I'm not sure what the potential is there.

What I don't understand is how this wasn't clear to begin with.  Was AOTL expecting something different?  I'd be interested in hearing their side of things.  

The reality, though, is if they are committed to the market they need to work within the structure that's in place.  Yes, it's pretty crappy that AmigaKit and A-Eon are basically one and the same, but they can't change that.

If the article is correct, then I assume it's more than just the pricing of the boards that has caused Aaron to make this decision.

It usually comes out in the wash, so we just have to wait until someone spills the beans. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
Quote from: JJ;826500
Whilst I was not just refereeing to EU part , your assertion of the ethnicity of someone else we will ignore for now.

Being in Europe was not just about what we get out of it, that is a very Tory attitude.  Us being in Europe was benefit to lots of outer countries.  But everybody is too busy caring about imaginary borders on pieces of paper to care about their fellow man

Spot on!

Plus I'm sure Bozzer will be just as ecstaticly happy when Scotland, Wales, and Ulster get their independence from a govt they didn't elect running their affairs from a foreign country (England) that merely gives them back their own money whilst telling them what to spend it on.

The UK is "better together"? Sounds like a load of collectivist pinko rubbish eh? ;)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
@nicholas

The UK is "better together"? Sounds like a load of collectivist pinko rubbish eh? ;)
The UK has proven its worth and the Westminster Parliament is far more robust than the devolved parliaments/assemblies with its dual house structure which considers and amends laws hence meaning there are less bad ones once the legislature is signed in. The Welsh Assembly will attempt to ban the smacking of children senselessly meddling in the affairs of family life! The Scottish Parliament is a complete mess by comparison producing unworkable rubbish like the Named Person Scheme which is being quietly shelved because it directly contradicts patient/doctor confidentiality amongst other valued principles (such as a parent actually being kept in the loop regarding the welbeing of their child).

Plus the union keeps wackos like Nicola Sturgeon in check who otherwise would be an apprentice Angela Merkel. Talk about a bad advert for proportional representation!! All the SNP MSPs are completely in the pocket of Sturgeon because their loyality is to the party (due the party list system) rather than the electorate! A rotten and awful system much like the European Commission. Maybe that's way Sturgeon wants to stay in the corrupt EU?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:59:26 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;826463
Ahh, Nationalism: Teaches you to be proud of sh1t you didn't do and hate people you've never met.

Keeping the stupid occupied since time immemorial.....

Thanks Nik,
I think at least you understand that I was just trying to set a fire under the Brits.
And it IS just banter.
Scots, the Welsh, the Irish...I think we've all traditional enjoyed tweaking the noses of friends in the Empire for some time.

Its far too easy.

AND you ARE right, this whole situation about AOTL (and no doubt other distributors) is bound to come out eventually.

BTW - Those last comments last night were due, in part, because I was in the middle of a bad migraine, right after a late visit to my alma mater.
So, I acknowledge they were unduly harsh.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline JimmiG

• Show only replies by JimmiG
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826415
The only problem with that compromise is you get similar performance to your emulated system, but it is more affordable and you get video support.
I'm just not interested in using a cpu with a crippled fpu.

We don't know yet how crippled the FPU will be under AmigaOS. It might not be that bad, and many (most) applications don't even use FPU. Besides I have 8x FPU's at 4 GHz in the other box if for some reason I need to do something FPU heavy.
It would be silly to use something like the X5000 under AmigaOS for FPU heavy tasks anyway, where it's single-threaded.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:53:28 PM by JimmiG »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;826517

To all those complaining, do you forget the glory days of this forum under Wayne when pretty much every thread was full of light hearted banter like this? It's only recently this place has gotten so aspie-like.

ahh the days when people  actually used this forum and here would be tens if not hindered od active users logged in at a time.

and nearly every thread descended into heated debate.

I miss those days,  but never franko
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Raffaele

• Show only replies by Raffaele
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:15 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826447
WALES, part of the United Kingdom but definitely NOT England!

Wales is a country in southwest Great Britain known for its rugged coastline, mountainous national parks, distinctive Welsh language and Celtic culture. Cardiff, the capital, is a refined coastal city with a nightlife scene and a medieval castle with ornate Gothic Revival interiors.

[CUT]

Famous Coastline seen in Dr Who: Southerndown nr Bridgend, South Wales

Rugged coastlines are great!

Butterfly ties are great!
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;826481
No idea where you've got Pakistani from but then again to a Little Englander "all Muslims are Pakis" eh? ;)

I'll celebrate when we get rid of our unelected Prime Minister for sure and do a double celebration if/when we get rid of that benefit scrounging family that lord it over us too. ;)

What? Wait you're not?   :rofl:  There goes my image of each religion having it's cookie cutter followers. >.<
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline tone007

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2017, 06:45:29 PM »
Amiga In The Lake!

...hubris.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2017, 02:10:50 AM »
Quote from: tone007;826565
Amiga In The Lake!

...hubris.

I rather like that one! :roflmao:

Nice to see some humor injected back into this.

BTW - All of you, I miss Frank. But then, I miss Cammy too (who, btw, like me is a friend of Franko's).

What I miss, is tolerance for other directions in all things Amiga.
AND, a good argument (not a stupid one).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline outrun1978

• Show only replies by outrun1978
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826450
@Sacc-Guy

Both the words 'United' stand for an amalgam of constituent states or nations that are stronger together but different in their history and in the case of Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England constitute different races of people with different cultures and traditions.

And long may we remain a United Kingdom :-)
Amigaone X5000 4GB with Radeon HD 7750 and Amiga OS 4.1 FE Pre-Release

Amigaone 500 2GB with Radeon 5450 and Amiga OS 4.1 FE update 1

Amiga 1200 with ACA 1231/42 accelerator and Amiga OS3.9

Amiga CD32

Check out my blog at http://www.amigax5000.blog

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »
Who was the other lunatic who  did that cover of only amiga makes it possible and ripped loads of people off and was a dick
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Merlanida (sp)? or was it that milspec guy from Oregon???

Edit: Doommaster aka Doomy! How could I forget. :) I am getting old.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:16:30 PM by Debaser »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
Quote from: JJ;826573
Who was the other lunatic who  did that cover of only amiga makes it possible and ripped loads of people off and was a dick

Doom Master lol

I wonder what retro community he's scamming these days?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Ahhh doom master lol  that's the bellend.  And yeah he was always on about military spec lol