Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So how is MorphOS?  (Read 9562 times)

Description:

Offline zurt

• Show only replies by zurt
Re: So how is MorphOS?
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 09, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
Quote from: amiga92570;537249
It runs on newer hardware!

From a realistic point of view, I don't think that Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Efika, eMac or PPC MiniMac are modern hardware.

Sorry. :-)
zurt

AmigaOS user since 1989
MorphOS user since 2003

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 07:31:27 AM »
Quote from: zurt;563672
From a realistic point of view, I don't think that Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Efika, eMac or PPC MiniMac are modern hardware.

Maybe "More Powerful hardware" would be a more appropriate term, and probably also what he meant...

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »
TBH I never ran MOS that much, but at least I tried it and I liked it.

I think MOS is very professional looking, desktop is superb with nice icons. And the most important, you can tell its from Amiga roots but its one step taken further, for example prefs are remade etc...

I can not really understand Slashdot users bashing it. Fine you can do all you want with Linux but surely other than Amiga zealots must like the way an Amiga "like" OS is structured?!

I would really like to try out some 68k applications in MOS, I was a bit disapointed of that in OS4.1.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
Quote from: zurt;563672

... and sam, amigaone and all hardware only os4 is modern? Macmini is now the fastest "amiga" possible, g4 1,5ghz on ebay is for 300euros aprox. Sam and similar os4 machines you need to pay a lot of more money (complete sam machine = 800euros) and have a lot of less power, compared to mac mini
New amigaone x1000 = more than 1200euros? bahhh this is new hardware with this money?
And the best, Morphos is much faster and stable than os4 (and more compatible legacy)
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »
Did somebody say Morph? I guess he's retired now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkRybbABuQ
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;537285
In short its the most mature, fastest (in terms of efficiency, cant compete with aros when aros is running on machines much, much faster obviously), most compatible "NG" amiga OS around. The only things to bear in mind is that it is an amiga os based system and therefore is lacking software wise compared to more mainstream oses, (although that's always the case with alternative systems and unless you have very specific needs shouldnt be a big problem), and that even on the fastest hardware it has available wont run a lot of demanding aga stuff very well using euae (no jit cpu emulator for ppc and not a problem with mos)

At this point, for me, MorphOS does most anything I need. I can get to email. I can use the web. I can ssh to my server if I need to. It can be used daily.

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;563642
Funny, Java is bloatware, and Amiga users want it. :)

That's an understatement.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
@gdanko

did your usb keyboard&mouse problems got fixed with MorphOS2.5?
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
I'm anxious to find a cheap emac and give this a go. I've been an aros user for a long time (since it was first hd installable really)

I've never seen morphos in person, but I did see aos4 and was really not impressed after using aros for so long.

I hope all the amigoid systems continue to advance and evolve and improve.

I think registering morphos is a nice way to encourage its further development, which I'd certainly like to do. I can't wait to give it a try
but I'm out of work at the moment so funds are tight.

I will be selling a bunch of stuff on ebay to raise funds for an emac and morphos registration. Hopefully, I'll be able to trade alot of my old junk for some new gear. Ebay is hit and miss sometimes, so this may be a hard fought war to get a new toy, thats for sure.

Steven

Offline DaNi

• Show only replies by DaNi
    • http://morphos.blog.com.es/
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;563694
@gdanko

did your usb keyboard&mouse problems got fixed with MorphOS2.5?

Have the some strange bug on efika with masstorage usbpen devices, but dvd-drive, mouse and keyboard works without problem by usb (i dont test CF cards). The only problem is with usbpen drive, freezes system but you can install without problem morphos 2.5 with installefika.img loading from usbpendrive... strange bug
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:25:30 PM by DaNi »
EFIKA 5K2 PowerPC G2 400Mhz, MorphOS 2.7, 128MB 266MHz DDR RAM, FSB 133MHz, 500GB HDD, Radeon 9200 PRO 128MB, USB HUB x8.

Offline Crumb

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
@Dani

my post was aimed to GDanko but nice to know anyway. You should report your Efika massstorage problems to MorphOS developers with some information about pendrive brand and so on.

BTW, on my Mac Mini USB2.0 is rock solid, I can transfer lots of ISOs without a single problem
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
@Steven

Since you live in the USA I think it would be easy for you to find a Mac Mini. Nevertheless, if you find an eMac remember to choose the 1.25Ghz model as others may not be fully compatible.

Offline zurt

• Show only replies by zurt
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Quote from: DaNi;563677
... and sam, amigaone and all hardware only os4 is modern? Macmini is now the fastest "amiga" possible, g4 1,5ghz on ebay is for 300euros aprox. Sam and similar os4 machines you need to pay a lot of more money (complete sam machine = 800euros) and have a lot of less power, compared to mac mini
New amigaone x1000 = more than 1200euros? bahhh this is new hardware with this money?
And the best, Morphos is much faster and stable than os4 (and more compatible legacy)

Of course they aren't modern. Even the not yet released AmigaOne X1000 has obsolete specifications before birth.

From a commercial point of view, people cannot consider an operating system serious if the only option they have to run it is by buying an old second hand computer from an eBayer located at Manchukuo (MorphOS or AmigaOS4), or by paying an absurd amount of money for a "new" piece of hardware (AmigaOS4).

Fortunately, most Amigans are realistic and nobody treats these operating systems as serious ones, they just are categorised as "Hobby Operating Systems" and that is what they are meant to be.

Anyway, being tied to obsolete hardware seems to be a penitence that every Amigan must accomplish for the forgiveness of him or her sins.

PS: I am pro-MorphOS and AROS.

Cheers.
zurt

AmigaOS user since 1989
MorphOS user since 2003

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
It's nice! (Registered user 842 on Mac Mini)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:06:47 AM by Pyromania »