Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!  (Read 37540 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: Creating games with Backbone - Step by Step for beginners!
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
I wonder if we could get the author to release the sources. I'd be willing to offer some prefab graphics, if we could.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:49 AM »
It wouldn't take long for me to crank out some 16x16 and 32x32 blocks to use. That being said, provided it was backwards compatible with Backbone (for the time being) and open sourced, I'd be down to setup some graphics. Maya still supports Amiga IFFs as well, so I could make some top down dungeon blocks, if wanted.

Off Topic,

Samurai, all the under the hood stuff for BTBuilder is done, so now it's 100% compatible with both the PC and Amiga BTCS binaries. In fact, we've added up to 960x600 support, 9 (I think I did 9?) tilesets, animated picture slots, sound, blah blah. Dulsi took a break to do some reading and I'm currently focusing on some low poly animation work so I think we're done til the new year, but pretty much we're at the point where the Editor needs to be done, so you might want to have a look. Oh, it's got a crude, but effective map editor now, but it doesn't allow you to lay down specials or modify them. Maps, Monsters and Spells, though are xml compatible and can be hand edited, if need be.

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
Quote from: utri007;714950
What are pixel size limits of chracters?? How many frames are possible to add chracter?? Like turnin 360 decrees, 8? 16? frames?? Other helpfull info?

I think the block size is a max of 32x32 and frames are 16 fps, but it's been *AGES* since I played with Backbone. I don't even think I have any of the old games I worked on anymore.  Everything is sprite based, so if you're using 360 degree turning, it's best to do left, right, front and back sprites. If I remember correctly, you can have character animations for each of those.

@Cammy,

Correct me if I am wrong, Girl, but aren't you limited to only one block map per level? I seem to remember having to have all my blocks, sprites, gun sprites and enemies all on the same block. It made reusing sprites a pain in the @$$, I seem to remember. Also, was there a pixel size limit to the block maps? I ask, 'cos it would be really easy to create png files that you could then overlay upon one another to reuse sprites over and over again, thanks to alpha channels.

Anyways, if you want some new background blocks, let me know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:51:15 PM by Methuselas »

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;715393

If you'd like to add to the block set please feel free. The idea of this one is to make several sets of graphics that anyone can use or modify for their own games. We'd like to upload them to OpenGameArt as well. More enemies, collectibles and anything else that people could put in the games are welcome too. I'd love to provide Amiga users with a huge amount of material they can use in their creations.

Yeah, after reading the guide, I saw that it's limited to a length of 320 or 640, but it didn't specify height. I can use that to my advantage. Make two versions for each block mat. If you're okay with basic wall types, I can create side and top blocks fairly quickly.  I'll just make a 32x32 version first and then shrink it.

Does anyone have a preference for run and jump or side/top scroller? I am toying with the idea of creating some simple 3d models for either a side or a top scroller. Now, granted, I'll be able to have both, but I just want to focus on one type. Just a player, chaser and shooter model.

I can also do some weapon effects, fairly quickly, mostly fires, lasers and energy-type weapons. Figure I can make 4 of those.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:44:30 AM by Methuselas »

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
32x32 640 version:

16x16 320 version:

Just some flame and smoke animations, a few simple blocks and some weapon effects. These are pngs. You'll have to convert them to amiga iff. I haven't tested these, either. Just proof of concept.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:57:04 AM by Methuselas »

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:13:35 AM »

Max resolution of 640x384. This gives 240 blocks per block map at a 32x Block and 64 colors. Try this out, Cammy. I can't seem to get Backbone to work right now. There's 2 different oceans and each middle sky cloud is tileable.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:30:29 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;718978
I created a Sprite Sheet and saved it as a PNG. I then converted it to an uncompressed IFF file with PPaint, and BackBone insists that it is not a valid IFF image.

Make sure to convert it to 8, 16, 32, or 64 colors. 32 and 64 colors only work in 320x200 EHB mode. It won't load properly, if you don't have it matching the proper color settings in Backbone.

Really wish someone would disassemble it, so we could enhance it.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;718986
I Take it the "Less Colors" option is not what I'm looking for?

Where do I need to go in PPaint to do this?

Thank you!

Project >Image Format. Change the settings to whatever you need, including colors.

Keep in mind that Half Brite modes only half the 16 color you pick, which is the maximum for ECS. In other words, at 32 colors EHB, you'll have 16 half tones and in 64 colors EHB you'll have 48 half tones.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
Amiman99,

Feel free to use any of my tiles if you'd like. If you want them in a PSD format, for easy copy and paste, let me know. They're organized by group and each on their own layer.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Looking good. Is it me, though, or does the main character look like the Grandfather from that movie, Witness?

"Wake up, Book. It's 4:30. Time for milking!"