Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup  (Read 44099 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
After running OS3.9 on my A1200 with its default 020 @ 14 MHz and 8Mb RAM, I was expecting a big things with my new Blizzard 030 @ 50 MHz + FPU and 64Mb RAM.  Unfortunately I found that my faster processor and extra memory didn’t make that much difference to WB performance.

Most people will say if you want a fast WB with AGA then the best thing to do is run OS3.1 in about 16 colours whereas I wanted to run the latest Classic OS and I wanted it to look as modern as possible on my hardware.

This is a screen grab of my current desktop as an example.

The first thing to do is settle on a screen-mode, I went for Multisync + VGA only @ 640x480 because this gives a progressive 4x3 display with a decent refresh rate and looks lovely on my flatscreen 19” CRT  :)

Making it Fast

Obviously you need to install BB1, BB2 and BB3

These are the patches that I’ve found create a nice stable 3.9 setup which is still usable in the full 256 colour mode (obviously it will always run faster with less colours).  The basic idea is to offload as much of the work as possible from AGA to your accelerator’s CPU and also to keep data transfer to a minimum across the slow interface.  Generally speaking, the more patches you apply the less stable your system could become so I try to keep them to a minimum.

•   BlizKick – This awesome utility not only allows you to move the OS from your ROM to your RAM, it also includes some handy speed-up modules.
•   FBlit & FText – These not only free-up some much needed chipram, they also offload blitting to your accelerator.
•   BlazeWCP – Very fast CP2 OS replacement functions.
•   IconBeFast – Greatly speeds up ICON drawing in esp. in 256 colour modes.
•   WBCtrl - Allows you to copy your icons to FASTRAM (used in conjunction with WorkBench Perfs, Icons to FASTRAM setting).

Also remove the AmiDock from your WBStartup draw and stick it somewhere else (eg the recycle bin).

And finally, I’d recommend a move to SFS/PFS from the standard FFS which smells bad and has been known to talk to itself on occasion.

Making it look Pretty

The default GlowIcons are nice and a big step up from OS3.1 but they are still using a limited colour palette, I decided to upgrade mine to something a bit more modern.   It’s very easy to replace your Icons in 3.9; it’s a simple drag and drop while viewing the Icon’s information window.

The default WB color remapping logic can result in your icons rendered in some odd colours and your background image will often change each time you open a new window….not pretty.  To fix this, we use FullPalette to create a palette matched to our main icon set and then use it to lock a subset of these colours for use by WB.   We also map our background image to the same palette to avoid any colour cycling; I’ve found the best thing to do is limit the background image to as few colours as possible.

VisualPrefs is an amazing utility which allows you to greatly customise WB and generally tart it up; we also use it to remap WB colours to our fixed palette entries.

MagicMenu is another great WB utility which is not only very handy but also makes the OS feel more modern to use.  You should also map the colours used by your Menus to your fixed palette entries to prevent any bizarre colour remapping….pink menus, no thanks!

BarClock although LimpidClock is more popular, I prefer the less intrusive BarClock for my setup.

I’ve uploaded a MOVIE to YouTube so you can see it in action, obviously if you’re lucky enough to have a 040/060 it will be even faster.

I will also add my setup resources to AmiNet when I get the chance (palette, Icon set, VisualPrefs settings, background images etc).

UPDATE: I've since changed to an IndivisionAGA powered HighGFX 1024x768 in 64 colours, very nice ;)

NovaCoder
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:46:55 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Re: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »
Quote from: koshman;531433
Oh, I see, veeery nice indeed :)

So, now what about Sam & Max? :D

Sorry for continuing OT...

Yep Sam & Max is coming, it's what I'm working on now ;)

Anyway back on topic.....

Cool glad you guys like this little guide.  I'm not an expert or anything, just wanted to give a write-up of what I've discovered so far.  

Obviously WB will always run quicker with less colours but I wanted to show that you can create a 'useable' WB in 256 colours without RTG.

Yep I've heard about SystemPatch and it's another option but I prefer to choose which patches I'm applying ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:11 AM »
Hiya,

Yep thats right but I didn't really get on that well with Birdie so I just used VisualPrefs to change the title bars as shown in the screen grabs.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:58:54 AM »
I'm now running in 1024x768 @ 64 colours (icons in FASTRAM)...very nice :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
Hiya,

I can't get the screen grabber to capture my nice 1024x768 properly :(

Anyone at the last Victorian Amiga users group meeting got a good look at it though!

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;534527
Okay guys and gals,

this thread and the one about work being completed on an unofficial BoingBag3 have motivated me to stop working on my current A3000 and A3000T projects and go back to my A1200/060/256mb Fast RAM & Blizzard SCSI.

I have just finished tearing it down to remove the 4gb hard drive and replace it with an 8gb Compact Flash card and IDE to CF adapter.  The CF is now partitioned and formatted and I have installed AmigaOS3.9, but not the BoingBags 1 & 2 yet.

My question is, do I start at the beginning of this thread or should I install the unofficial "BoingBag 3" and then come back to this thread and install what is suggested here?  Also, are there starting to be some conflicting alternative suggestions in this thread for what are the best patches and programs to install to get the best and fastest AGA Amiga setup?

Yes as I said in my original post, install BB1, 2 and 3 first (although BB3 is now 'growing').

Quote from: amigadave;534527

Here are my complete specs for my system:

Late model A1200 - Oct 12th, 1995 stamped in ink inside the case top
Rev 1D4 Motherboard
Blizzard 1260 rev. II w/SCSI module and 256mb RAM
8gb CF card on internal IDE header via IDE-> CF adapter
IndivisionAGA 1200 connected to a 19" CRT
current display settings are 1440x400 w/64 color Workbench, but will look at 1024x768 HighGFX when I get it downloaded and installed
External Zip250 & CD-ROM connected to Blizzard SCSI module's external connector
Subway USB controller w/registered Poseidon stack & 4 USB ports (2 back & 2 side of case)
New AmigaKit floppy drive (bought at AmiWest 2009, thanks Matthew)
Wireless Network card for Miami Deluxe & IBrowse2.4

Nice specs, yes HighGFX 1024x768 in 64 colours should run very well on your setup.

Have you thought about ditching the IDE (blanking it off) and using an external SCSI HD?

What about a power supply for that lot?
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
I've updated my original post with my HighGFX WB now that I've got the stupid screen-graber to work ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »
IDEFix won't work with most CF cards, that might be your problem, check this thread for more details.

Also as per my original post, you would benefit from using BlizKick.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:11:32 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;535163

I have BlizKick downloaded and have been reading through it's guide.  Is there any advantage to using LoadModule over using the parts of BlizKick that do the same functions?  If I can master BlizKick, I think I will try to rip my 3.1 ROM image, split it into modules and then reassemble a patched ROM image and map it to Fast RAM using the Blizzard MapROM feature and instructions within the BlizKick guide.  I am hoping to get it so it will not have to reboot twice, but will still be able to run Shapeshifter or Fusion and will boot as fast as possible and run a stable, patched OS3.9 system as fast as is possible.

Yep that's what I do, just use BlizKick instead of LoadModule and build a BB3 ROM to be copied to FASTRAM on startup ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
Quote from: FaLLeNOnE;535760
ftext causes screen corruption when dragging icons. some icons appear corrupted when I start dragging them. Any ideas?

could someone who managed to have a perfect AGA wb with boingbag3, mcp, fblit ftext, blazewcp, systempatch3.3 post his startup-sequence and user-startup? Also the versions of patches, etc used.

See my original post on this thread ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
Ok I finished playing around with my new 1200's setup, now up to 128 colors and still nice and fast.

AGA only screen shots (800x600 SuperPlus Indy Mrk2 + Ken's excellent ICONS).

Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:17:24 AM »
Thanks, I like to keep it pretty simple.   The more patches and hacks you install the less stable everything is.   When my programs crash I like to know if it's really my fault or not ;)

Yep the 060 helps for sure, I'll upload a video when I get my new camera.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Peter K's awesome new icon.library :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!