Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Writer in WinUAE  (Read 779 times)

Description:

Offline jonesypeterTopic starter

• Show only replies by jonesypeter
Final Writer in WinUAE
« on: November 20, 2023, 02:06:08 PM »
I had an Amiga when I was at College, and have recently come back via emulation with WinUAE.

I'm emulating Workbench 3.1, and have installed Final Writer 5.0.3.  My issue is that the text seems very unsharp.  Both on the menus and in written text. I have watched YouTube videos and this does not seem to be normal. The only thing is that the version of FinalWriter I have is the US version.  Is this different to the UK PAL one because of the resolution?

In WinUAE under display I'm using 1024 x 768 and windowed.  In Workbench under ScreenMode Preferences I have selected PAL: High Res Laced with 256 colours. The Startup preferences in Final Writer are set as 'Open New Screen', 256 Colours and PAL:High Res Laced.

Many thanks in advance. 

Peter

Offline RhoSigma

Re: Final Writer in WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
It's probably because your Amiga side resolution does not match the window size on the Host system, hence the Amiga graphics output have to be scaled to fit into the window.

In the WinUAE GUI on the Settings > Host > Misc page you find several drop down lists on the right side, one of it is labeled "Graphics API". Switch that one to "Direct3D" rather than the "DirectDraw" it is by default usually.

Direct3D does usually do a smoother job on scaling than DirectDraw.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Thanks very much for the reply.  I looked and Direct 3D 11 is already set.  I've not changed it, so it much be the default?  Thanks

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 07:34:11 AM »

Go to the Filters page.

If you want to keep the screen size but accept a bit blurry display, then just move the slider below "Point/Bilinear" to the far right.

If you prefer a crystal clear but blocky display, keep the slider on the left but change the scale factor above it from "default" to "no scaling" and change Horiz./Ver. size both to 2x. To see the entire screen now, you have to set the display to full-window or full screen. For the latter choose "native" resolution.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »
Thanks Thomas.  That has made things much better.  Much appreciated.