Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lack of software?  (Read 5148 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: Lack of software?
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 14, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
I think truthfully in MorphOS,there is a lack of modern native apps, but you can run any classic amiga system friendly apps. (there is alot more than you think) MorphOS does also have the best modern browser.

You can also run anything amiga via emulation, I hear it can handle most things. (games, demos etc very well even on 1.0ghz range hardware)

Is there dosbox for morphos? I think so and so there is tens of thousands of dos games and apps there to run on your system.

There is a c64 emulator also if your really a commodore fan.

I think you'll always need a windows computer for work/school/whatever, but its nice to have a fun computer next to it for games, creative projects, and more.
I'd like a mac mini for this and morphOS - someday... But I've been saying someday for awhile.

All Amiga next gen OS systems really need 1) Audio editors, multimedia rippers, converters, 2) Video editing programs 3) Games that are not just linux ports
4) Productivity apps (office, pdf writer, budget,spreadsheet, more)  5) More creative apps
like 3d font renderers, web editors, animation programs, ray tracing, and more.

Of course, linux also needs many of these things, but to a lesser extent, I guess because its been around long enough to reach a level of maturity of apps available.  I hope All next
gen systems will continue to mature with more to offer.

There is a big move on linux right now of games games games now, its nice to see.
Weaknesses of a system getting addressed is always cool to see. I hope there will be more amiga next gen apps and games. Limited budgets, limited developers, its not a good
environment or atmosphere to encourage development.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
As far as I know, there isn't anything stopping you from dual-booting OSX and MOS, is there?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline pVC

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
I think MorphOS has quite many good modern programs. Odyssey is a great browser, MorphOS version of mplayer is the best movie player of all platforms, ShowGirls is great image processor, Scribble is great programming editor, there couldn't be easier CD/DVD burning suite than Jalapeno, Flacapella is just fine flac/mp3/other formats ripper, RemoteShell does everything you need for SSH2 usage, VPDF is modern PDF viewer, Jukebox is great little music player, there's Blender for rendering and video editing, Scriba is promising new word processor which can save for example to PDF and ODT, and lots of more.

There isn't that much modern games, but certainly much more modern than Doom or classic Amiga ones. For example Virtual GP 2, Knights & Merchants, Robin Hood, Quakes up to III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Homeworld, Warzone 2100 etc... and lots of SDL ports of all kinds of games.

And then all the best of classic Amiga software works too, there's lots of still useful software available for all purposes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:15:32 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »
I forgot about sdl and all that brings, your right pVC, thats alot of apps, and the other apps you listed are just good for getting things you need to do done, burn a cd or dvd, rip mp3's, play movies, whatever. Enough to get by for day to day needs.

Offline pVC

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;719059
As far as I know, there isn't anything stopping you from dual-booting OSX and MOS, is there?

Nope, that works just fine if you want.

BTW. not related to this message, but for example to my previous message.. why this forum has started to make links of its own to messages? They all seem to go to some non working or irrelevant pages. If it'll make link for MorphOS, then it definitely shold open http://www.morphos-team.net instead some other crap. Very annoying.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;718987
Next time search your interesting software before register it... and if you dont want to back to 90s use a pc.

PC is not the end all be all solution for everyone.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
Quote from: gdanko;721191
PC is not the end all be all solution for everyone.

;)

Especially when trying to get away from a 90's computing experience.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:08:31 PM by save2600 »