Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers  (Read 22002 times)

Description:

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
Re: Bounty for better Radeon Mediator drivers
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 17, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
Yes it was Matthias Rustler that dit the Wazp3D Aros port
I will contact him soon (and you Wawa) but I need to check the latests sources and I dont have the time today
But I will do that this week
Same  for aros 68k iso + cow3d : dont have the time yet but I will check that soon

Alain Thellier (Wazp3D)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
alright, alain!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;748165
what are you upset about? as winuae user its not your concern, while those who might expect to use some sort of pci rtg boards in their amiga setups will have to make up their mind about the issue (im not an expert unfortunately). therefore i just propose a solution that the more knowledgeable might or might not find feasible. i am not sure if and which a nvidia card will work in (say) a mediator. none has ever tried so far i know.

I was only wondering... one said AROS 68k is "unusable" and you talked a little negativ too so I was wondering what is missing. Functionality (when using Magellan) certainly is competitive to any other 68k platform. Of course supporting PCI/Zorro cards on real hardware is out of my scope.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;748163
this is not the subject, whether or whatever the limits are these are concerns os amiga/aros68k users, standard boards are available for other aros users rather than what you choose to use. no need to lecture us who know better.

It wasn`t intended to be a lecture, but personal sentiment and attitude.

PowerPC route was chosen because 68k seemed dead. But this were times when everything was hardware tied. Today, with AROS 68k, FPGA machines and UAE almost universally avail, 68k exists on both software and hardware level, even in better position then ever. 68k code we can run on AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS too ... and its most present "Amiga"

Back on topic, if it would help guys using the Classics, would donate to such bounty.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:21 AM »
Being an owner of both a Radeon board and a Mediator, I would totally help with this bounty, though in reading the whole thread, I realize that's not going to ultimately help.

I also wish they (Elbox) hadn't strong armed Ratte.  I was following his development for a bit, then kind of faded away for a bit (got busy) then when I came back to check on it, the driver had disappeared and the whole crap had hit the fan.

I really do think the future is AROS (68k or otherwise) though, being a huge Open Source advocate helps.  

On the note about wawrzon mentioning support for the nVidia cards.  I believe at the very least that the earlier Radeon cards (7200 - 92xx) were one of the first fully supported chipsets from the earlier hardware accelerated mesa efforts.  I recall it being nvidia-glx, then utah-glx (probably have those backwards), then radeon had full support.  After that the OSS implementations seemed to dry up as both ATI and nVidia ended up getting more proprietary (licensed?) technologies in their cards, and so more closed specifications.  Matrox (MGA) cards could be lumped in with that group as well.

The real question is, do Matrox and / or Nvidia make 5v PCI cards that are easily available to be used in a Mediator (assuming drivers were made)?

As a last note, I also must state that Elbox... WTF?  We have to buy your hardware, does it really matter who makes the drivers for it?  I even ended up buying a Spider 2.0 and a Radeon (which I ended up not using, and use one that has more memory on it).  It's a shame that crap like this still goes on, but hey it is the Amiga community.  Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't see this much back stabbing and legal crap creep up in the Atari community.

slaapliedje

P.S. I realized I necro'd this thread a bit, but it always kind of fits in an Amiga forum, I figure a few months isn't terrible.  :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:40:02 AM by slaapliedje »
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2018, 10:26:53 PM »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
Argh! I'm not going to LIVE long enough for you die-hard fanatics to get this "just right".

So, yes, I moved to NG, and as that transitions I'll follow that.

Because my ECS and AGA hardware is hopelessly dated, and your FPGA based solutions will never be as powerful as dedicated silicon.

So I should plug my legacy hardware into a Mediator, limiting my expansion options to PCI, then plug an FPGA in as a processor replacement (and at least partially, a chipset replacement)?

And I get a slower system that can't use recent gpus? After I've essentially jacked the whole system up and driven something underneath it to replace it?

And you guys make fun of the cost of a Aeon board?
Keeping in mind that I use a Mac (although I'm open to that option)?
After you've spent HOW much?

Just so you have "the real thing", which it isn't since the things that really accelerate and expand the system are third party?

Truly cuckoo.

Understand, I'm in favor of better Radeon drivers, with a qualifier.

The term Radeon for legacy ends at the 9200.

And the OS4 drivers at least provide acceleration for that, OS3 doesn't have that.

Also, I haven't been worried about W3D acceleration since I moved to a 9800 (which OS4 has a rather limited driver for), but W3D is still a feature of latter OS4 video drivers (for those of you who are truly committed or "commit-able" anyway).

Just my opinion, but the foot dragging of the legacy fanatics is the primary reason it hasn't gone anywhere. Not available resources, the users.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2018, 02:39:32 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;838684
The term Radeon for legacy ends at the 9200.

Ask Elbox for a Mediator with PCI-express slots. We'll never get to their bandwidth capability, but at least o physically plug a newer card in...
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2018, 03:45:06 AM »
Quote from: billt;838698
Ask Elbox for a Mediator with PCI-express slots. We'll never get to their bandwidth capability, but at least o physically plug a newer card in...

I can't picture Elbox having the engineering competence need to implement PCIe, although some kind of bridge could be used to at least provide a basic PCIE compatible slot.

Bandwidth? No, legacy Amiga's wouldn't exploit it, but at least something more modern than the R200 based cards could be supported.
Then again, as a graphics upgrade, the R200 is still quite a bit more powerful than the Amiga's own chipsets built in graphics.

So...sorry to divert the thread.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:13:25 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
In had to laugh at the bandwidth comment. Maybe a GRexx in an 060 powered A4000 might get close to that the R200 is accustom to. Nevertheless I believe the point is more about recency. Its hard to find PCI Radeon cards these days. Most of the R100 and R200 cards were AGP.
int p; // A

Offline Iggy

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;838703
In had to laugh at the bandwidth comment. Maybe a GRexx in an 060 powered A4000 might get close to that the R200 is accustom to. Nevertheless I believe the point is more about recency. Its hard to find PCI Radeon cards these days. Most of the R100 and R200 cards were AGP.

Yep, I think the most recent PCI card I have come by was HD5450 based. And they are hard to find.
And PCI 9200s still pop up on eBay.