Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex  (Read 11568 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
Quote from: swoslover;709454
Insane compared to what?

X86 or generic Mac hardware..sure

Amiga hardware?  Compared to the price for a PPC card this seems entirely reasonable.

It's 815 euros with OS4 and VAT. Without keyboard or mouse. And if you don't have a spare monitor either, it's around 1000 euros for the complete package.

I'd rather get the 460.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;709509
Exactly. My Sam 440ep is a lovely little machine. It's slow running Timberwolf, but that isn't finished yet and it's well known there's no speed-up optimisations in it, so of course it's slow. You can have a lot of fun with it.
What gets me is the irony... in the past I always had to convince PC users that you didn't need a lot of megahertz to have fun and get things done, and they didn't understand. Now it seems like many Amiga users are the same as PC users, despite the fact many of them have classic machines up to 50MHz that they still enjoy.

I think the real problem is the price, rather than performance. If it was 200-300 euros, than it would make sense. 1000 euros is just too much, given the performance and age of the machine.

For that money you can have 2 Open Pandoras, which are not mass produced and are made in Germany, so are well suited for comparison. And the latest 1 GHz model is probably even faster than SAM440. Remember, Open Pandora has an LCD screen and a battery, making the comparison for SAM440 even worse.