Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C vs C++ ... or whatever language  (Read 20906 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: C vs C++ ... or whatever language
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
Speaking as a professional Higher Education teacher, this is the best tutorial book for those new to C++ that I've come across.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accelerated-Practical-Programming-Example-Depth/dp/020170353X

There are pdf's on libgen.pw for the wallet impaired. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »
Quote from: olsen;835911
What kind of path to learning and to keep on learning does the book strike, considering that it was published in the year 2000 and has been on sale ever since then?

The many C++ books I bought over the decades were typically geared towards presenting the new shiny language features which had arrived since the last edition. For a beginner, I would hope that the authors would not just introduce the language well (Andrew Koenig - the man's a legend), but also try to provide the reader with the tools to expect and adapt to the changes the language would invariably go through.

The last time I used it professionally was probably around 2005ish but rather than just teach the shiny new features or just document the language it teaches by giving real world problems and introduces language features and standard library features together as you implement the solutions for each problem.

Never had a student that didn't love it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »
@Kamelito

A good workman never blames his tools is as true today as it was in the bronze age.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;836074
I gave this a quick read today. I found it moves very quickly which may be a problem for new learners. (of course the first clue is "accererated") By the end of chapter 3 I wanted to raise my hand and as the instructor a question. Dang it, not included. :)

Plaz

Hehe :)

Yeah it's not for absolute beginners with no experience though I did give my old copy to a neighbour's sister last Friday who has only ever done a bit of JS (I think) with Codecademy, so it should be a good test of it. Admittedly she's got me to ask questions to.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;836178
Arguably, C++ is not for beginners either.

I'd agree generally, but C++ in a "C with Classes" style is fine for total beginners in my experience.

This book proves it really http://steveheller.org/whoscpp.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:33:04 PM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;836234
GCC obviously.

You could also go with StormC which might have been a MaxonC derivate from V1 to V3 and was GCC based in V4.

SAS/C 7.01 supports a subset of C++ too.

http://aminet.net/package/dev/c/expsascxx
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:25:21 AM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;836304
You obviously never tried to compile C++ with that.

I did, on an 68030 with 7MB (4MB on the A2630,2MB Z2 and 1MB CHIP).

It might be somewhat useable with today's resources (NG or UAE) ....

.... for compiling and running........

Who in their right mind compiles anything bigger than hello world on 68k silicon today though? ;)

SAS/C 7 ran fine under MorphOS on my PowerBook last time I tried (circa 2013) but obviously there are far better solutions like GCC.

It's a shame vbcc was never given C++ support IMHO though.