Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RapidRoad USB issues  (Read 854 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

RapidRoad USB issues
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:24 PM »
Unlike some folks on here my experience has been less than ideal with the Rapid Road USB device.  Bought this with the X-surf-100 and installed them both per the instructions in the package.  (Which I found later was incorrect but anyway.)
Install was straightforward and no issues except when I downloaded the driver right off of the website the RapidRoad would not work at all.  It would show up in Trident as installed and running but no devices nothing.  Then I figured out that the driver that is right on the site is incorrect so you need to download a different one from a different page (again on the same site) and run that one instead.   This is quite the pain as the only way I have to transfer files is to burn a CD rom. (Kind of the reason I bought this thing in the first place.)  So after a 2nd cdrom was burned I was able to install the driver and now it sees the RR, and it sees my hardware that is installed, but nothing works. 

For the record before anyone asks:
This is a 3000 Desktop with a 68060 board installed and all pertinent libs running OS3.1.4
Yes I ran the CDROM install routine and it sees the CDROM on the usbscsi bus but even after install of cdrom software it will not work. (My SCSI CDROM DOES work just fine.)
So the fact that I can read CDs on the other drive proves that the system is capable of reading dos disks and yet no thumbdrive ever mounts. (The CD was created on WIN10 PC)
Yes automount is selected in the settings.
Yes I am using a powered usb hub as I have heard horror stories of frying these things if you try to power from the bus alone.

So I am completely at a loss as why others have said "Just plug it in and it works" and here I am with absolutely NOTHING works. 
Any ideas?

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: RapidRoad USB issues
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »
Just to make sure we are not missing something here:
You can read the same CD on the same machine in a SCSI CDROM drive, yes?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:51 PM »
Yes that is correct.
But nothing from the USB CDROM and nothing from any of a handful of thumbdrives.

Quick question on thumbdrives..  And I think I may have something here.  Do they need to be FAT16?  I usually use FAT32 and am wondering if they can be read or not..

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:37:41 PM »
And looks like I figured it out.  I went back and reinstalled fat95 from the extras provided with the RapidRoad.
This is important it seems because I had already had it installed, but appraently the version provided with the RR places the files in a different location or something.

That fixed the Thumbdrive issue but the CD still would not work until I started looking at the settings for the USBCDROM.  Unselected "SimpleSCSI" and still no luck, but then I saw that it looks for the different file systems when initializing and saw that it was looking at L: amicdfs

Looking at this location there is no "Amicdfs" onlyy "CDFS"  made that little change and the CD popped right up on the desktop as it should.
Only isue I have now is that the Trident software will not allow me to save the settings.  Button is always greyed out so I have to go into Trident and muck about with the settings every time I boot the machine.  Not a huge issue (and damned glad the thumb drive and CD works) but would like to save the settings so it just works moving forward.

Any suggestions?