Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.x improvements  (Read 13897 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 3.x improvements
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:40 AM »
Quote from: kolla;796218
Next up - a tip regarding s:startup-sequence

First of all, too much >NIL: in there, hehe :)

Secondly, Assign and Execute are made resident manually, they could however be made resident simply by making sure they have the "hold" bit set, with which they will go resident the first time they are run.

So, I typically set the H bit on them and remove those lines :)

Hold bit is not supported by SFS (where it has different purpose) and it is often lost when copying files around.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
Quote from: kolla;796219
Speaking of icons - once upon a time, I had drawers that were projects, their Icons were of type project with an associated default tool, there are programs that take drawers as argument - THIS WAS PRETTY DARN NEAT! :)

For example - I could turn a drawer full of pictures into a project, give it an appropriate icon and set a picture viewer as default tool, on opening that icon, the image viewer would launch and show slideshow of all the pics in the drawer.

More useful example - I had a rexx script that would take a drawer as argument, and build a GUI based on resources found in that drawer, very much like how !Apps work on RISCOS (I was inspired by RISCOS on this), or OSX.

Today, all drawers are treated as drawers, regardless what the icon type says, I _really_ would love to have project drawers back. I guess it is PeterK's icon.library I can blame for this.

Are you using 3.1 or 3.9? If 3.9, I think it is related to Workbench. Icon.library does not care about icon type, really.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Quote from: kolla;796241
Well, before MakeLink can work, the underlying filesystem must support it. I do not know ThoR's background for suddenly supporting soft links on RAM: with newer ram-handler, but I sure knew what to do with it.

My main point is that changes to RAM Disk icon should survive reboots - one way would be for the handler to take care of it. Wether it uses ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info or something else is not important.

It is important. What if you have read-only media and you want to change its icon position permanently? Or a volume without icon?

RAM disk solution would be one shot fix for one case but what about other cases?

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:15 AM »
Quote from: kolla;796284
I really don't understand your argument - because fixing icon handling for RAM Disk would not be a general solution also working for CD drives, it is better to not fix it at all?

Because in the software industry you don't do shortsighted "fixes" and workarounds. You have to look at a bigger picture.

Developer should find a solution that fixes RAM disk and CD drives and other RO/temp drives in general.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
Quote from: kolla;796308
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Software industry? :)

Of course it is a joke in Amiga land.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:13:56 PM »
Quote from: kolla;797013
More annoying quirks - c:date again, and locale - how do I tell c:date to accept English input even when my locates are Norwegian? And how lame is it, that it insists on "local" language input, when the error message it spits out, is always in english? It is kinda hopeless to use c:date in scripts, since what it spits out and accept as input, depends on locale settings. I have tried to set both local and global variable "language", but it doesn't care.

It is probably using dos.library/StrToDate() with FORMAT_DEF to parse input. With that option it is always using localized parsing. Other options are international format (whaaat...), Canadian (eh?), American (USA) and AmigaDOS format.

There is something missing in the API and it is consistency...