Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga User Turns to PegasosII  (Read 4990 times)

Description:

Offline AmiDelfTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmiDelf
    • http://www.amitopiatv.com
Amiga User Turns to PegasosII
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:43:31 PM »
AmigaWorld.org is done by 2 people. Paul have done a great article on how he turned to PegasosII and sold his Amiga 3000.

Read it: Here
I love and respect people which care! And not those with
a heart made of stone.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
Re: Amiga User Turns to PegasosII
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 05:11:11 PM »
Nice review. I'm still sitting on the fence about where to go, when the upgrading time comes, but I can't deny that Pegasos and MOS look great, at present time.

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 05:28:29 PM »
I myself have actually turned down the PegasOS at one time of course. But I now am tired with all problems on all various platforms of computer. Linux... You just need glasses that are about 8409384093 inches thick to know how to maintain if it breaks down. Windows is great, but yet too many viruses are out there and without a firewall and adware remover, your computer is pretty much slow and useless.  Amiga... A great machine. Just too bad hardware for it costs too much. I want to have a PPC setup just to toy with and use an Amiga going that fast.

I have two PCs now. One a 2500+ barton core and my other a 2800+.  Does great and gets the job done, but I want an OS that would run JAVA, play a few choice games, and run an email client, then I would settle for pretty much ANY OS just as long as I can do them things.

PegasOS might be an alternate choice for me to do. I want to first use it before I would consider buying it.  

Too bad Amiga and Genesi just teamed and make PegasOS even better....
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 06:16:55 PM »
Doesn't he miss Anything about the A3000?  :-?
Great review!  :-)
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:46:36 PM »
I would hardly call the article a 'review'. More a 'nostalgic account'---it is too subjective and qualitative to serve as a review. Mind, that does not mean I disagree with what is written, and certainly does not mean it is a bad account in the first place.

Then there was someone who claimed you had to have glasses miles thick in order to understand Linux, especially when things broke down. I really wish people would keep a little up to date with things or gave it a serious effort before making such comments: today it certainly isn't as bad as it once was. Quite often you do not even need to know what goes on in the murky depths of the operating system to solve a problem---or would you rather prefer Microsoft's sledge hammer technique of 'reinstalling the OS' to fix things? Of course there are always traumatised victims with gruesome horror stories to be found, but that can be said of any other operating system. ('Volume DH0: is not validated' or 'Volume DH0: has a read error' anyone?) There are plenty of books which do a great job of explaining the basics, even to complete newbies.

Methinks it is mostly fear of the unknown, coupled with an understandable hesitation of what to do with one's favourite programs and data. (I miss Deluxe Paint something fierce.) Just like the author of the article which started this thread.

My $0.02.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 07:09:49 PM »
@kd7ota
PegasOS

Pegasos is the hardware. MorphOS is the operating system.

:-)

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 09:26:53 PM »
@Piru

Yea, sorry man. Just remembered it from awhile back when someone told me about it, they spelled it PegasOS.

@Cymric

Sure I have gave it lots of thought before stating you need glasses several inches thick.  Reason besing is because the average windows user will never know what to do when it breaks down.  I went to change a piece of hardware, and it never loaded the GUI ever again.  How are they going to know how to install even the nvidia display drivers? You have to go in and edit commands etc..... Sorry, no windows users will ever comprehend that.  Sure they can read books and learn, but sorry, they just dont have patience to do that.  If you can make it a drag-n-drop process, they will go do it.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:05:10 PM »
> Sorry, no windows users will ever comprehend
> that

They shouldn't have to.  Computers in general should not REQUIRE their users to hold master's degrees, or even care how things work.  Most people who own computers just want them to work.  They don't care how they work, simply that they do. XP Pro is a great step in the right direction, even if they skipped a few steps along the way.

Wayne

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 11:19:50 PM »
@ kd7ota

I have a couple of PC's myself. I need a laptop for my work (PC), I have a 2800+ barton Abit/NForce2 system for media creation etc (and games ;-)), and two low-end MiniITX Via Epia motherboards.

No matter how hard I try, I can only look at those boxes as grey "work horses" (is that a real term in English? ;-)). There is no fun in using them, except from one occasional game or so (but then the credits goes to the game itself, and not to the box). They are noisy, slow, bulky and bloated (I use Windows XP and 2k on them). They are useful, but I want more, I want fun in computing! ;-) Only Amiga (and now Pegasos/MorphOS) has been able to offer me that.

I understand that you want to "use it before you buy it", it's difficult to buy something unseen, based only on peoples recommendations. It's tempting to say that you could always buy a cheap second hand Pegasos1, but I wouldn't recommend that. The Pegasos II is much better, and you wouldn't regret buying one of those from the start (I have owned two Peg1's and two Peg2's myself). Perhaps you could go to a show, a local club or something, and try it out?

Good luck! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 11:32:37 PM »
@ Cymric

I agree that it's more of a nostalgic posting than a review of a product. But I think that it's interesting reading nevertheless. I bet that we are many who recognizes our own past (and current) situation just like that's described in this article.

(BTW, Linux is not the answer to everything, nor is Windows. ;-))

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 11:32:38 PM »
@Wayne,

Unfortunately there's always going to be problems that arise with computing - it's the nature of software.  Have you ever tried solving {bleep}y problems on WindowsXP? Quite often it's a real nightmare, and even if you're a competent computer user you can often be left scratching your head and digging for the XP Install disk (again).

If you're a regular computer user who doesn't have a team of IT staff on call to repair your computer all the time (i.e. you're a home computer user) then unfortunately you're always going to need to know a little bit about how the OS works.  If you're a serious home computer user then really you need to be completely happy when under the bonnet - it's no use pretending that you don't need to know how things work when problems are arising and you've already got valuable data stored on the machine.

Brian

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 11:59:51 PM »
@ Wayne

I agree, the general *desktop systems* (which excludes a lot of OS's that has somewhat different purposes) should not require their users to be computer experts. And I agree that Windows XP pro is great in that kind of way. And one should remember that in the desktop OS sector, the Windows way is the standard way.

I once threw out some questions for discussion about Amiga(ish) OS's as general desktop OS's. What is required? That is a good question!

In this thread on ann.lu I tried to discuss this a while ago.

BTW, "What is the Pegasos Layer" (comment 73)? Could some "layer" make those exotic OS's more common and suitable for mainstream uses? Possibly, that depends on what it is! :-P ;-)

And a good question that is - What should such a "layer" contain? What is it?

Offline choochy

• Show only replies by choochy
    • http://www.amigashare.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 12:09:02 AM »
Much is left to be said about the actual Hardware design and components of the PegasosII. Thats maybe the reason its cheaper then the A1 too.

Well, as long as it gets the job done, thats the important thing!
Chris J Nillissen
AmigaShare Team Member
www.amigashare.com

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 12:13:45 AM »
(BTW, if you are reading that ann thread, have a look at post 16 too ...)

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 12:26:46 AM »
@ choochy

The hardware design and components of the Pegasos II is *EXCELLENT*! There is no other word that can describe it! The only thing one could strike down upon in the past, was the firmware. I have personally seen three different firmware versions since last Christmas. That is fast progress IMHO ;-)! Today the firmware in Peg2 is very good, especially if you don't use Seagate HDD's (like I do ;-)). Genesi has in several posts written about their ambitions regarding the firmware and the open desktop workstation. So I don't see any reason to believe that the firmware development will slow down in the future, rather the opposite. I believe that lots of exciting features will come to the Peg2 firmware in a not so distant future ... :-D