Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vote JAY MINER into computer Hall of Fame  (Read 7360 times)

Description:

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
Re: Vote JAY MINER into computer Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 05, 2002, 08:03:07 AM »
More than likely a "typo" with someone typing radio instead of checkbox in the html..

I've voted, and Jay is way in front. Over 1000 votes.. wow, I was worried that there weren't many amigans around... boy was I wrong  8-)

Regards
KrasH

hrm.. now I gotta go to school and do a "Intro to Hardware and Networks" exam.. (if only the exam had amiga questions in it)
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

Offline xork

• Show only replies by xork
    • http://xorksplace.port5.com/
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2002, 12:07:07 PM »
Sid Meier, William D Mensch, Jay Miner, Dennis Ritchie.

after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless

Chathurawind

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2002, 05:40:12 PM »
I had to go with Atanasoff and Berry- though, if I remember the story right, one was the 'brains,' and the other was 'management.'

Perhaps against better judgement, Moore was my 4th pick.  While his prophecy may have been self-fulfilling, we're just beginning to see the curve curl upwards.  It may not hold forever, but it's definitely the most influential force in computing now, whether we like it or not.

It's a bit sad that old hands still aren't in there, while pop icons are.  Jay got my vote because this is the year he'll finally make it, but it'd be sad to see the earliest pioneers forgotten by hackers who can't think back past 1990.

Jay does deserve to be in there for summarizing what Woz and a few others might've realized earlier on- computers were entertainment devices that could be written off on tax returns. :)

Mensch deserves to be there too, as does Tramiel (though the hall of shame would be better), and a whole host of others.  (Dave'll get there, someday. :))  Anyone want to explain what makes the Dragon/CoCo BIOS so interesting?

Offline Revener

• Show only replies by Revener
    • http://www.banished.nu
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2002, 02:45:52 PM »
Hmm.... seems they have closed the votes, bacuse I can't wote :-(
If you have ghosts you have everything

Roky rulz!!!