Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Debugging help please  (Read 3938 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Debugging help please
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »
I'm only finding some really old, incomplete info on debugging options.

I tried to enable the logserver boot option by editing the bootinfo.txt BOOT-SCRIPT line:
boot &device;:&partition;,\boot.img ramdebug logserver

then running:
HFSSetMacBoot Boot:bootinfo.txt

but it won't boot with logserver added, it just gives me an icon of a folder with a ? so I have to boot from the CD, remove that boot option, then run HFSSetMacBoot Boot:bootinfo.txt again so that it boots.

I've got a Powermac G5 which has no serial port. Can I use a USB to serial adapter to remote debug?

The apparent lack of GDB or any real debugger combined with no good documentation on what we do have is a horrible sign for new developers.

What little I know so far was gatherd from several places and often just inferred from what I did find.

Any suggestions or links?

Thanks,
John

Offline SACC-guy

Re: Debugging help please
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
@ heiroglyph
No real help here, but the morphzone has a library section. I don't really know more, after I got chased off the site for being too dumb to use a computer.

I would think that the morph fanboys would have answered in a heartbeat...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:51:43 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;775036
@ heiroglyph
No real help here, but the morphzone has a docs section. I don't really more after I got chased off the site for being to dumb to use a computer.

I would think that the morph fanboys would have answered in a heartbeat...

It seems like such a nice, complete solution compared to other affordable Amiga-ish alternatives, but I feel like I'm steadily finding all the missing pieces in MorphOS.

If I can't really debug on this G5 system or worse, this OS, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. A working development environment is my #1 priority unfortunately and printf debugging isn't really something I'm willing to put up with.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
While I'm no coder... I have attended the programming event at AmiWest.

This from last year:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmiWest_2013_Lesson_1

Capturing Debug Output

It can be very frustrating when you have a crash but no way to capture the crash output. We will now explore your options to make sure you get something to work from.

Maybe this will help?
M