Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWest 2017 clarifications  (Read 4478 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: AmiWest 2017 clarifications
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;832449
If you saw my first post on the subject  in this thread you will see that there are quite a few results with different models of cards that are not consistent.
the buggy bridge chip works perfectly with a different PCIEx1 sound card (Envyht24) and its driver and also some PCI CMI878 cards (no bridge chip) work perfectly while other PCI versions of the the CMI8738 (no bridge chip) do not .
The CMI8738 versions exist currently in good quantity so it may be worth having thorough look at the driver .
This is one area that may be diminishing the X5000 experience among new users as some are receiving their systems with problem versions of the CMI8738 cards.

Actually, it gets weirder than that, since ALL PCI cards are working through a bridge chip (the PCI-PCI-E bridge chip on board the X5000).

You would think the PCI-E cards would work better, BUT the CMI8738 is a PCI component, so using it you're again...using a bridge chip, but this time on the sound card.
It might be less problematic if Aeon had chosen a sound card that featured a native PCI-E component.

In any case, I've got a VIA Envy24 card sitting around waiting for use (its the better of the two solutions anyway).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: AmiWest 2017 clarifications
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;832484
As seen with Acill's soundblaster with the Amiwest MorphOS demo things can get be dodgy on the MorphOS side too .
Interestingly with my X5000 my PCI CMI8738 works with no problems under AmigaOS 4.1FE  but causes a freeze under Linux if used with full screen video.
The issue is to get a working solution for which the availability of the sound cards does not dry up .

It may take a third party approach like the RadeonHD driver to keep up though unless there is a move to Radeon HD audio or USB sound cards .

Yeah, but again, there we're dealing with a PCI card being driven via a bridge component.
Although you would have thought legacy drivers like the SB Live would have been tested, then again the MorphOS ISO Paul was provided was a beta.

Odd, your freeze up under Linux, but I think I'm just going to avoid CMI, at least for the time being.

In any case, as you've pointed out on other forums, having multiple OS' on the X5000 will make things interesting.

That's why its going to become my PPC system of choice, after all, I have no use for OSX, but the other three possibilities...this intrigues me.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"