Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWest 2017 clarifications  (Read 4460 times)

Description:

Offline nbache

Re: AmiWest 2017 clarifications
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;832133
Quote from: kamelito
2) Any update on the wiki front? like updating it further as there's still AmigaOS 2.x/3.x stuff
We only cover AmigaOS 4.0 and up as stated on the front page. I don't see any need to go backwards. The community can open up their own wiki if need be
Steven, I think Kamelito meant that the Wiki still has stuff which was valid back in 2.x/3.x days, but not fully (or at all) today.

And to answer that myself, I know that there have been recent rewrites of some of that stuff, but things take time. Usually it tends to happen when somebody points out a specific example over on Hyperions forums, and one of the active Wiki editors sees it and has time (and knowledge) to fix it.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline ssolieTopic starter

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »
Quote from: nbache;832146
Steven, I think Kamelito meant that the Wiki still has stuff which was valid back in 2.x/3.x days, but not fully (or at all) today.

Ah, well that does require editors to work on it indeed. More volunteers are most welcome.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline kamelito

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;832142
Anything is possible. How about we get it working first. :)

I've no Fun tinkering with Windows, Linux and Mac, that is why I plan to buy a A1222 motherboard or full system depending on the final price.
So please hurry up :)
Kamelito

Offline MichaelMerkel

• Show only replies by MichaelMerkel
    • http://www.mirime.de/Michael
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »
seeing the tabor getting priority now, how is the progress of os4.2?
has the priority been lowered? or has the planned featureset been changed? (multi core + enhanced 3d system, ...)?

thanks and regards...
michael
--
Michael Merkel  :crazy:
(Michael.Merkel@gmx.net)
HomePage...

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »
Quote from: MichaelMerkel;832163
seeing the tabor getting priority now, how is the progress of os4.2?
has the priority been lowered? or has the planned featureset been changed? (multi core + enhanced 3d system, ...)?

As far as I know, nothing has changed on the AmigaOS 4.2 front. Hyperion has not provided me with any further clarification.
ExecSG Team Lead

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;832162
I've no Fun tinkering with Windows, Linux and Mac, that is why I plan to buy a A1222 motherboard or full system depending on the final price.
So please hurry up :)

I know exactly what you mean. I have Windows, Mac and Linux at home as well. The A1222 is especially exciting due to its lower price and that really cool laptop project Hans de Ruiter is working on. He had a prototype running at the show.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:08 PM »
Quote from: ssolie;832169
I know exactly what you mean. I have Windows, Mac and Linux at home as well. The A1222 is especially exciting due to its lower price and that really cool laptop project Hans de Ruiter is working on. He had a prototype running at the show.

Was it a true laptop or just a luggable?  If it's thicker than 1.5 inches then people shouldn't refer to it as a laptop but as a something else entirely.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;832182
Was it a true laptop or just a luggable?  If it's thicker than 1.5 inches then people shouldn't refer to it as a laptop but as a something else entirely.

The plan is to make a kit that takes a full sized Mini-ITX board, so it's going to be fat (the rear connectors aperture alone is >1.5"). You're welcome to call it a luggable if you want.

I haven't designed the case yet, but do have a fully battery powered proof-of-concept (NOTE: I had a slightly more elegant setup at the show than in the video).

My goal right now is to get a full prototype designed.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Copernicus

• Show only replies by Copernicus
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 12:01:31 AM »
Quote from: Hans_;832183
The plan is to make a kit that takes a full sized Mini-ITX board, so it's going to be fat (the rear connectors aperture alone is >1.5"). You're welcome to call it a luggable if you want.

I haven't designed the case yet, but do have a fully battery powered proof-of-concept (NOTE: I had a slightly more elegant setup at the show than in the video).

Hans

That's is really cool idea, let it be slightly fatter than 1,5 inch. I hope you will finalize your project and we will eventually get portable AMI. Can't wait for that.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 01:32:07 AM »
It could kick the butt of the Atari STacy but the ST Book will probably still have the edge on portability :rofl:

Offline Rob

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 01:50:50 AM »
Quote from: Hans_;832183

Hans

The Tabor board could have some minor revisions made to make it suitable for a slimmer case design.  The rear I/O could be reduced by swapping some of the connectors out for header pins to connect to smaller PCB's to relocate the audio ports to the front and the USB and one NIC to the side, as is common with contemporary laptop designs.

Header pins to relocate the CR2032 battery holder to a flat position away from the motherboard would solve another height issue.

My final suggestions would be to use a right angled ATX power connector and there are also right angled PCIe sockets.

I think it would make for a much more appealing end product and I hope that A-EON would asses whether or not there is a business case to to produce a special run revised Tabor boards for the laptop kit.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:26 AM »
A laptop specific motherboard design would be much better. I don't know what if any barriers (other than cost) there would be to designing such a board and modern style laptop but surely it would have a bigger market than a Mini-ITX system.

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
Quote from: ssolie;832128
AmiWest 2017 is over and it was one crazy time!

There were the usual announcements and many things were said.

If you want clarifications on anything, please post your questions here and I'll do my best to answer and/or clarify things.

Just don't guess what I meant. Ask instead.

Due the lack of movies, people wonder how quick the Tabor with 4.1 will boot to the Workbench.
Is the bootspeed quicker then an AmigaOne 500, mine is slower then my Windows machine - both with SSD ?
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;832182

I don't see any point in debating the definition of laptop.
ExecSG Team Lead

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
Quote from: Bennymee;832204
Is the bootspeed quicker then an AmigaOne 500, mine is slower then my Windows machine - both with SSD ?

The boot speed is similar to any other AmigaOS installation. We have not optimized it in any way thus far. There is ample room for improvement of course but it is not a high priority.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline Pgovotsos

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 27, 2017, 04:58:40 AM »
Quote from: Copernicus;832186
That's is really cool idea, let it be slightly fatter than 1,5 inch. I hope you will finalize your project and we will eventually get portable AMI. Can't wait for that.

We've had portable Amigas for 20 years. I have Silent Paws 600, 1200, and 4000 and they go on the road nicely.