Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fun with Kickstart 1.4 (A3000)  (Read 6115 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Fun with Kickstart 1.4 (A3000)
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:46:38 PM »
A while ago, I quit out of the 1.4 bootmenu on my A3000 and used GrabKick to take an image of the Kickstart - it came out as version 36.016.

Today, while experimenting with some softkickers, I clobbered the Devs:Kickstart file on my hard disk and had to use the SuperKickstart disk to boot up in order to restore my backup file. To my surprise, loading in the kickstart from floppy and then booting the system from the hard drive failed, (didn't recognize WB_2.x: as bootable) and I got the "Insert Disk" screen - this time with a 36.143 version indicator! Booting with a Workbench2.05 floppy failed with a "Suspend/Reboot" requester. I booted without Startup-sequence and grabbed the kickstart.

A quick browse through both files in a Hex reader shows that they ARE different! How could there be 2 different versions in ROM? The best theory I could come up with was that one was loaded from SuperKickstart, but I'm 99.9999% certain that has version 37.175 on it.

Well, to conclude, I've got the system operational again, but I'm still very confused about these different versions.