Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?  (Read 10088 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
Re: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
Not sure about the full 128M, but I have 64M on my A1200..

Mostly, I use the RAM drive when transferring files and organizing things.
I download to RAM.  

I also do some basic WEB browsing and streaming (I have a MAS Player Evolved also).
And it's nice not to have to worry about memory when I have all those apps open.

My guess is that 128M was chosen for CHIP availability reasons.
Smaller chips probably cost more money nowadays...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline desiv

• Show all replies
Re: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »
Quote from: mechy;716987
If games had been coded for A3000/4000 spec instead of 500/600/1200 we might of had some much nicer games with way more levels and such.
Definitely something to that..
Back in the day, I bought a 512k expansion so I could play a game.
(Dragon's Lair.  Yes, I know a lot of people don't like that game, but I did and still do, so there!!! :razz: )

And there were more than a few games that used more than 512k, so it seemed like a good investment.

But I just didn't see many games out at the time that made me want to spend the kind of money it would have cost to upgrade.
And I'm sure game devs were looking at people like me saying "he doesn't have an accel so why bother putting the work in to have the game support it...

It would be easy to say the game devs just needed to write the games and I would have bought (as I did with the extra 512k).
But...  I can't think of a single game that would have made me spend Amiga Accelerator money...
There would have had to have been several games to justify that type of expense.
I pieced together my first PC for less money than it would have cost to buy an Amiga accel back in the day..
No, I'm not a cutting edge, pay hundreds of dollars for a video card, type of gamer.  ;-)

That being said, developers who push the limits and write huge games get my respect.  They know the market is smaller, but they do it anyway.

Yes, there's something to be said for cramming as much as you can into a small footprint.  That's an art in itself.  
But the other side of the spectrum is nice too....
I appreciate both types of DEVs..

desiv
(and at this point in time, I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY Amiga 68k dev!!!)
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.