Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18499 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Arix
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
@nicholas

I'm with you Brother!  I like what I'm seeing.  Sorry to have been so "vocal", but like the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  I will now desist!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
WOW!

For a community that usually exhibits more than its share of patience, this is surprisingly fractious.

I understand Nik's reluctance to revel more about this, and am glad I only know a little as i would not have his patience.

But, at least understand this, we have someone (who I personally trust) telling us it exists and that he's used it for awhile.

Isn't that enough to temper the premature negative BS?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;753099
WOW!

For a community that usually exhibits more than its share of patience, this is surprisingly fractious.

I understand Nik's reluctance to revel more about this, and am glad I only know a little as i would not have his patience.

But, at least understand this, we have someone (who I personally trust) telling us it exists and that he's used it for awhile.

Isn't that enough to temper the premature negative BS?

You missed my reply #75 on the previous page! http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66288&page=5

And again, I recommend that other loud-mouthed skeptics such as myself head over to AWorld and check out the Arix thread there if you're looking for technical info.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:26:19 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »
I know more than most do Jim, but I certainly don't speak for ARIX.

I just wanted to correct any misinformation.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753107
Dr Schulz has written a few more technical details here:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38282&forum=2&start=320&viewmode=flat&order=0#722900

He has time to write all that but there's nothing on the site after that bizarre countdown thing? Do the folks behind the website have anything to do with the guys doing the development work?

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;753110
He has time to write all that but there's nothing on the site after that bizarre countdown thing? Do the folks behind the website have anything to do with the guys doing the development work?

Makes one wonder doesn't it?!  I'm starting to think they're unrelated. ;-)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
I like the pretty picture :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=582736921781510&set=a.582736911781511.1073741828.414578091930728&type=1&theater

All you haters and flamers back off.

AROS is a beautiful thing. Some ideas of ANNUBIS I thought were great...

The stuff phoenixconsole did with aros and linux as "aeros" were really awesome.

Give them a chance to get established before you so quickly pass judgement... If its good, I'll be the first to support them.

AROS is great but I can't use it for everyday os because of lack of modern browsing/lack of apps. Something like AEROS or this could fix that for me and many other amigans.

Thats all I want, I want to come "home" completely. Not to have an aros box next to my main rig thats cool to play around with but not ready yet.

AROS is wonderful but it  needs some major changes to be an everyday OS...

THIS COULD BE IT!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
The guy from Philly has a good point, utility.

I already know some of you don't buy that argument, but it is why I'm using the OS I am.

And AROS has always suffered from this "its not finished yet!" feeling.

A Linux kernel makes perfect sense to me.

After all, Linux has had SMP support for some time.
What does that suggest?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;753117
After all, Linux has had SMP support for some time.
What does that suggest?

That ARIX isn't a SMP design?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38282&forum=2&start=300&viewmode=flat&order=0#722874

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »
that depends on the definition of "SMP design". It already uses more than one core on system level and they are obviously evaluating ways to use it in other cases. SMP for applications is still in testing/development ("silly SMP") and I think Jason mentioned that it would need 6 months to implement. But it will come do not worry :-)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
Part of a feeling of being incomplete in my opinion is due to the fact that almost daily theres new work available, not always heavily tested, or complete.

OS4 and MOS both differ in that what people end up with is akin to a light distro, and one that is worked on by core developers, meaning that releases content is more heavily controlled, and aimed towards a much more restricted hardware base.

Find or buy hardware that is properly supported, and use a distro rather than a nightly and AROS behaves equally well.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Well I am looking forward to hearing more, it does sound really promising.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753154
That ARIX isn't a SMP design?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38282&forum=2&start=300&viewmode=flat&order=0#722874

;)

Good quote!
And since its been mentioned I don't have to keep quiet on that one.

"rather similar to AMP"

So folk, our first support for multiple cores.

And if you expect more than ASMP out of Amiga OS 4.2 you might be too optimistic.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;753170
Good quote!
And since its been mentioned I don't have to keep quiet on that one.

"rather similar to AMP"

So folk, our first support for multiple cores.

And if you expect more than ASMP out of Amiga OS 4.2 you might be too optimistic.

Not strictly true Jim, the PowerUP boards could be argued to be the first ASMP implementation. ;)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 20, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753156
that depends on the definition of "SMP design".

The definition of SMP is actually a quite clear. ;)

It already uses more than one core on system level and they are obviously evaluating ways to use it in other cases.

AMP/ASMP is not SMP though...

SMP for applications is still in testing/development ("silly SMP") and I think Jason mentioned that it would need 6 months to implement. But it will come do not worry :-)

"Silly-SMP" is just what the name suggest: Silly! It's may be a fun/interesting test or experiment, but even if it will be finished I doubt it will ever be used for real, it simply makes no sense. SMP breaks Amiga, it simply can not exist in an Amiga context without breaking the compatibility. And if you will break the compatibility you would be much better off implementing a *proper* SMP instead. So putting effort into this is indeed silly. ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)