Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18498 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Arix
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
I've never claimed that MorphOS lacked 3D support!  I even had a PegII and I liked it! I have claimed that it lacked the 3D functionality that was available on my PC especially in light of the fact that MOS is hobbled with decades old Radeon cards, just like OS4!

As for the bullsh@being slung here, I think the above diagram was lifted from the paper published at the link below and modified for the sake of "convenience", by dammy and terminills, to add more smoke and mirrors to their argument that they've somehow merged an Aros kernel with a Linux kernel. So to be specific, here's the link which clearly shows that this Arix/Linux merged kernel is bullsh@t!

http://tornasol.datsi.fi.upm.es/ciclope-old/doc/rtos/cache/doc/rtlpro.pdf

And as for scientific methods, a powerpoint graphic without any from of documentation and a lame countdown website announcing something new and groundbreaking doesn't constitute "scientific" in any way shape or form.  This is typical grandstanding by Dammy.  This is Anubis Part Deux!  And, BTW, the paper above has verifiable and reputable sources...pretty scientific.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:16:51 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753072
I think the above diagram was lifted from the paper published at the link below and modified

You may well be correct as to the origin of the diagram and thanks for the link, I will read with interest and an open mind.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
I've never claimed that MorphOS lacked 3D support!  I even had a PegII and I liked it! I have claimed that it lacked the 3D functionality that was available on my PC especially in light of the fact that MOS is hobbled with decades old Radeon cards, just like OS4!

As for the bullsh@being slung here, I think the above diagram was lifted from the paper published at the link below and modified for the sake of "convenience", by dammy and terminills, to add more smoke and mirrors to their argument that they've somehow merged an Aros kernel with a Linux kernel. So to be specific, here's the link which clearly shows that this Arix/Linux merged kernel is bullsh@t!

And as for scientific methods, a powerpoint graphic without any from of documentation and a lame countdown website announcing something new and groundbreaking doesn't constitute "scientific" in any way shape or form.  This is typical grandstanding by Dammy.  This is Anubis Part Deux!  And, BTW, the paper above has verifiable and reputable sources...pretty scientific.

I'll say it one last time, "I have used ARIX over the last few months and it is not what you believe it to be."

Don't just take my word for it, actually reply to Dr Schulz over at aw.net and ask him whatever you want.

Forget Dammy, he isn't one of the developers.

Hint: Think Amithlon/Umilator.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:27:11 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »

That's pretty weak. You didn't spend 30 seconds on google to find something to trot out did you? The ARIX breakdown graphic looks more stylistically similar to some of the NTOS kernel high level hierarchy diagrams, which isn't saying much because everybody uses the same style to depict this stuff. You've never seen this kind of stuff before, have you? I don't believe your educational credentials for one second.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
@koaftder

I really don't care if you believe my credentials or not.  Nor do I care if you believe anything I've said.  But I have given you some real sources.  I have NOT set up a grandstanding countdown web-site, made unsubstantiated claims about a dual kernel OS or a "merged" kernel OS, nor posted bogus diagrams having no attributable sources.  Dammy has a history of failed claims and "projects", Anubis being one of note.  Believe in Dammy and Arix as much as you like.

As for dual kernel operating systems, Arix would be the first one in commercial existence They've been created in labs in the past but have never been successful due to inherent design problems and flaws.  So now you'd ask me to believe that Dammy and terminills are the first to deliver a successful dual kernel OS to the world?  That these two have somehow overcome all the inherent issues with dual kernel operating systems that teams of programmers around the word haven't been able to overcome?  Sorry, but that's not going to happen based on what they've shown to date nor based on Dammy's previous track record.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753048

"That's a pretty accurate diagram of a typical Amithlon system."

/Bernd Meyer

http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/243950.shtml

:cool:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
@nicholas

I'm willing to accept facts about Arix, but no one is willing to provide any or maybe it's that they're not able to present any facts (due to NDAs, or lack of ability, etc, etc.).  I'm the world's ultimate skeptic, especially in light of claims made by Dammy in the past.  I actually hope that Arix is what some people are claiming it to be, but I want some proof!  A graphic without sources might be ok for some people here, but it will not be sufficient with me nor in a scholarly paper.  I will certainly take your advice and forget Dammy!  LOL!  At least I will try!

I've used Amithlon in the past and it was the bomb! (That's American vernacular for really cool!)  Stopped using it because the underlying linux kernel wasn't kept up-to-date with the latest hardware....i.e. 1MB RAM limits, dual core problems, etc...

If it's an Amithlon-like system with Aros binary compatibility, I welcome it!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753082
@koaftder

I really don't care if you believe my credentials or not.  Nor do I care if you believe anything I've said.  But I have given you some real sources.  I have NOT set up a grandstanding countdown web-site, made unsubstantiated claims about a dual kernel OS or a "merged" kernel OS, nor posted bogus diagrams having no attributable sources.  Dammy has a history of failed claims and "projects", Anubis being one of note.  Believe in Dammy and Arix as much as you like.

As for dual kernel operating systems, Arix would be the first one in commercial existence They've been created in labs in the past but have never been successful due to inherent design problems and flaws.  So now you'd ask me to believe that Dammy and terminills are the first to deliver a successful dual kernel OS to the world?  That these two have somehow overcome all the inherent issues with dual kernel operating systems that teams of programmers around the word haven't been able to overcome?  Sorry, but that's not going to happen based on what they've shown to date nor based on Dammy's previous track record.

Firstly you are conveniently forgetting the "dual kernel" Amithlon. Secondly Dammy and Terminills haven't created ARIX, (some) of the AROS team have created it, all of them "big name" low level system programmers.

Have you responded to Dr Schulz yet?

ps Your claims regarding MorphOS 3.3 were that it "lacks a useful or STABLE browser" and has an "unacceptable lack of 3D support".

Neither is true.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753065
@ferrellsl

I may not know much about ARIX yet (and neither do you or anyone else outside "the loop"), but one thing I know for certain is that you have made a complete fool out of yourself in this thread, acting like a clown from the very beginning, making wild claims and accusations  when no info about it was known, and when real info is slowly starting to be released and when people with real life knowledge of the thing corrects you, you don't back down and stand corrected, no, you persist your claims like only a fool would.

:rant:

Why don't you just sit back and wait?

:confused:

Well, actually I HAVE sat back and waited, only to be shown nothing by the folks behind that ridiculous countdown timer.  How much longer do you suggest we all wait? And at least I've presented an argument while you insist on calling me names.  That's very weak in light of the fact that we were promised some answers when the countdown ended.  Show me some facts......

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753058
You seem really to think you are right. I like ice cream btw. You are not very credible because you bashed on it from first minute and then continued to do so. When there are all informations you can still critisize but not from first minute.

you claim that it is a linux app looking like AROS running on it. So when we look at it there is Poseidon, AHI and other amiga-components, on the screenshot there is the DOpus Magellan icon. All are Linux apps? Explain that with or without master degree...

The ones lacking credibility are Dammy and terminills and I'm sorry if that offends you.  They promised to show us something new and groundbreaking after enduring a lengthy countdown timer.  I think we deserve some answers to our questions but so far all we get is silence.  And based on Dammy's past performance I have a right to be skeptical and critical of his claims.  Again, sorry if that offends you and others, but it's my right to be skeptical here....what better place to be skeptical than at Amiga.org after all the previous scams and failures of the past.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753086
Firstly you are conveniently forgetting the "dual kernel" Amithlon. Secondly Dammy and Terminills haven't created ARIX, (some) of the AROS team have created it, all of them "big name" low level system programmers.

Have you responded to Dr Schulz yet?

ps Your claims regarding MorphOS 3.3 were that it "lacks a useful or STABLE browser" and has an "unacceptable lack of 3D support".

Neither is true.

I've stated there have been dual kernel operating systems in the past, created mostly in labs, but for good reasons they've failed in the real world, that includes Amithlon, maybe not for the same reasons that the others failed, but alas, no one can conclude that Amithlon was/is a success. So I haven't conveniently left Amithlon off the list.  My list is all inclusive when it comes to dual kernel operating systems.

Yes, and that was based on my experience with MOS 3.0 several years ago, and my claims about browser stability AND usefulness in those days still stand as do my comments about the level of 3D support which was, if my memory serves me correctly, consisted of a subset of OpenGL 1.2/1.3.  Not exactly modern.  And the 3D support in MOS and OS4 is still woefully lacking today compared to modern systems.  Nothing has changed.

I've looked for Dr. Schulz on AW but I can't find him.  What's his screen name?  I WOULD like to see some documentation or maybe he would be kind enough to provide some on both AW and Amiga.org
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:34:52 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753091
I've stated there have been dual kernel operating systems in the past, created mostly in labs, but for good reasons they've failed in the real world, that includes Amithlon, maybe not for the same reasons that the others failed, but alas, no one can conclude that Amithlon was/is a success. So I haven't conveniently left Amithlon off the list.  My list is all inclusive when it comes to dual kernel operating systems.

Yes, and that was based on my experience with MOS 3.0 several years ago, and my claims about browser stability in those days still stand as do my comments about the level of 3D support which was, if my memory serves me correctly, consisted of a subset of OpenGL 1.2/1.3.  Not exactly modern.  And the 3D support in MOS and OS4 is still woefully lacking today compared to modern systems.  Nothing has changed.

I've looked for Dr. Schulz on AW but I can't find him.  What's his screen name?  I WOULD like to see some documentation or maybe he would be kind enough to provide some on both AW and Amiga.org

You said ARIX would be the "first one in commercial existence", there have been many Amithlon is just one.

Dr Michal Schulz is michalsc over there, he's replied to you in the ARIX Foundation thread.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:33:16 PM by nicholas »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753092
You said ARIX would be the "first one in commercial existence", there have been many Amithlon is just one.

Dr Michal Schulz is michalsc over there, he's replied to you in the ARIX Foundation thread.

Ah, you got me there!  Arix would be the second one developed for commercial gain that I'm aware of.  All the others that I'm aware of were open source *nix's or variants and didn't tie into Amigas.

O, thanks for pointing out who michalsc is.  I didn't realize that.  I've admired his work on Aros for ARM (and x86).  I didn't realize he was the brains behind Arix. For some strange reason one might assume that Dammy or terminills was the driving force behind Arix.

---------------------

Checked out the Arix thread on AWorld and Dr. Schulz is providing a wealth of info.  I had been there earlier today but hadn't checked back until you mentioned it.  Great stuff!  And I DO admit that I was wrong about Arix, but can you blame me in spite of all the BS we've come to know and love at Amiga.org?

I recommend that other loud-mouthed skeptics such as myself head over to AWorld and check out the Arix thread there if you're looking for technical info.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:59:11 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;753086

Neither is true.

In all fairness both the words "useful" and "unacceptable" denote opinion and as opinion are neither true nor false but rather more a point of view.

Personally I have no issues with MOS but then I don't have much experience with it either.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;753088
Well, actually I HAVE sat back and waited, only to be shown nothing by the folks behind that ridiculous countdown timer.  How much longer do you suggest we all wait? And at least I've presented an argument while you insist on calling me names.  That's very weak in light of the fact that we were promised some answers when the countdown ended.  Show me some facts......

Well, the "counter incident" indeed seems to have upset you (and others, both here and elsewhere). But really, nothing has been sold, nothing was promised (except *info* at that point in time, which has now slided to "Throughout the week" (and will likely slide even more if you ask me)).

Save the critique to when there is something to criticize, don't go making things up to fit any agendas of yours, or your "beef with dammy" or whatever. Indeed there isn't much info released, despite the "countdown on the webpage". But IMHO, this doesn't (at this time at least) warrant comments like:

• "lame attempt to scam uninformed Amigans out of some cash"
  • "This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it."
  • "Whether or not they've stripped X from this Linux distro or not, is immaterial, it's still Linux, which I can get for free."
  • "This is the same smoke-and-mirrors marketing used by the guy behind OpenOS4 and Anubis."
  • "Arix will be just another Linux distro or Aros hosted on Linux."

Etc, etc.

I'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't know. But on the other hand, you can't say you are right because you don't know either! That's my point! And the fact is that several people (who claims to *actually know*) has told you repeatedly that in fact *you are wrong*!

These are Open Source developers in the AROS community. They aren't used to deadlines (maybe professionally, but not in their spare time "Amiga" hobby at least), or any kind of management for that matter (again, in their "Amiga" hobby). And nobody has been sold anything, not even promised anything (except that info would be made available when the web countdown reached zero, but that's all).

So maybe cut them some slack? Sharpen that broad-axe of yours in the meantime, but don't go waiving it around in the AROS crowd at this time, OK?

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #74 from previous page: November 19, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
@nicholas

I'm with you Brother!  I like what I'm seeing.  Sorry to have been so "vocal", but like the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  I will now desist!