Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arix  (Read 18414 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Re: Arix
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;752382
So a commercial fork of AROS. I wish them luck.

Their sales model is a bit misleading.  This is AROS hosted on top of Linux and then they make of point of saying that they have a "hosted" version that runs on top of your current OS (Windows or Linux) and a "native" version which runs as a primary OS.  The native version/primary OS is, you guess it, AROS hosted on Linux.

The hosting of a hosted OS as it were.  This isn't offering us anything we don't already have thru IcarosDesktop, AEROS, or any of the other AROS variants, except a price tag.  Yawn.....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:16:33 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;752430
Not Found, Error 404

What is the difference between this and aros hosted? different name, wallpaper and slightly different set of out of the box applications?

They would need to do an awful lot of actual coding to get anything to be different or meaningful. AROS doesn't need another distro with different wallpapers... But thats just one man's opinion.

I agree.  This just looks like another lame attempt to scam uninformed Amigans out of some cash. Nothing new here.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;752433
I could of course be wrong, but perhaps it's rather "merged" than hosted? I have for example seen references to Anubis, which speaks in favor of this.

That's about as ridiculous as OS4 being "merged" with Linux, OSX or Windows.  This is Linux hosting AROS, nothing more, nothing less....except that they want you to pay money for it.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:41 AM »
Quote from: agami;752447
Wow, cynical much?

I'd say at the very least, the hosted version runs on top of an existing distro with X11 and Desktop Environment i.e. KDE, Gnome, etc.
And the 'integrated' version runs without X11, and a Linux native Desktop Environment.
So it is different. Which in turn will be more AROS and less Linux.

I'm certainly happy to support them with a purchase of the native version. I agree with the commercial forking path.

You obviously don't know much about Linux or AROS to make such a comment.  The "native version" you're referring to and sold by these clowns is actually AROS hosted on Linux and not a "native" version of AROS in any sense of the term.  And Linux with or without the X Windows system is still Linux. So we're supposed pay these guys money for a version of Linux where they've removed X windows?   Wow, paying more for less makes so much sense! Or paying for Linux at all for that matter

Whether or not they've stripped X from this Linux distro or not, is immaterial, it's still Linux, which I can get for free. Or here's an idea, just get one of the many other hosted versions of AROS, with or without X for FREE!  Why the hell would I pay these clowns for something that's already free?!  But as PT Barnum once said, there's a sucker born every minute.  Your version of "different" is like saying Ubuntu is sooooo different from Lubuntu because Lubuntu uses LXDE and the other uses Unity for desktop management.....ugh......This is the same smoke-and-mirrors marketing used by the guy behind OpenOS4 and Anubis.  So go ahead and send your money...or better yet, send your money to me and I will send you a ton of download links for the many versions of AROS AND Linux.  What a bargain!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:10:13 AM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:48 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;752453
All of this thread is just speculation till we see it working. I think phoenixconsole did amazing work with AEROS... Running linux, windows amiga 68k AND amiga ng applications all pretty integrated.

Perhaps this will be just as capable. We should wait and see before we all pass judgement.

I'm not speculating about anything.  I'm referring to the smoke and mirrors marketing spin that came directly off their web site.  But they've taken it down now presumably because their smoke wasn't dense enough to obscure all the bullsh@t they're throwing around.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;752456
guess I should reply to this... as you're commenting on placeholder text.  It was exactly that.   It was text Dammy wrote up for while the layout was being done.

You guys have certainly made a name for yourselves in my book.  I'll be sure not to buy anything you or Dammy are associated with in the future.  To say Dammy's write-up is misleading would be kind.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Quote from: klesterjr;752967
Really?  Dammy posted this at AW on Oct. 18 ...

Based on that post I waited around for a month to find out what Arix was.  The website went live on time, but contained NO answers.

Ah, so you're getting a dose of the smoke and mirrors that I talked about.  You won't be provided any answers because it's already known that you won't like the answers.  Arix will be just another Linux distro or Aros hosted on Linux.  Otherwise they would have already told you the truth.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
No, the ARIX "OS" and I refuse to call it an OS,  is still sitting on top of a Linux kernel in spite of the single ARIX scheduling arrow pointing directly at the hardware.  This graphic is misleading at best. Arix will not be scheduling hardware resources directly without going thru the Linux kernel.  You must have gotten Dammy to draw this. More smoke and mirrors....This graphic is more at home in a comic book.....

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
@OlafS3

OK, then explain how Arix is supposed schedule and create a resource lock on hardware independent of the Linux kernel?  And vice versa.....Explain what happens when Arix and the Linux kernel lock the same resource at teh same time....I'll tell you what happens, you get a disaster, so I find this graphic to be misleading at best, and dishonest at worst.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:44:30 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
@AJCopland

You're not qualified to tell me what I understand or don't understand as you don't even know me. I actually have a masters degree in computer science from the Univ. of Maryland and a bachelors in the same field from the Univ. of Tampa and I see the bullsh@t that Dammy and terminills have been slinging and it's very misleading and I see lesser informed people here just eat it up like ice cream.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
I've never claimed that MorphOS lacked 3D support!  I even had a PegII and I liked it! I have claimed that it lacked the 3D functionality that was available on my PC especially in light of the fact that MOS is hobbled with decades old Radeon cards, just like OS4!

As for the bullsh@being slung here, I think the above diagram was lifted from the paper published at the link below and modified for the sake of "convenience", by dammy and terminills, to add more smoke and mirrors to their argument that they've somehow merged an Aros kernel with a Linux kernel. So to be specific, here's the link which clearly shows that this Arix/Linux merged kernel is bullsh@t!

http://tornasol.datsi.fi.upm.es/ciclope-old/doc/rtos/cache/doc/rtlpro.pdf

And as for scientific methods, a powerpoint graphic without any from of documentation and a lame countdown website announcing something new and groundbreaking doesn't constitute "scientific" in any way shape or form.  This is typical grandstanding by Dammy.  This is Anubis Part Deux!  And, BTW, the paper above has verifiable and reputable sources...pretty scientific.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:16:51 PM by ferrellsl »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
@koaftder

I really don't care if you believe my credentials or not.  Nor do I care if you believe anything I've said.  But I have given you some real sources.  I have NOT set up a grandstanding countdown web-site, made unsubstantiated claims about a dual kernel OS or a "merged" kernel OS, nor posted bogus diagrams having no attributable sources.  Dammy has a history of failed claims and "projects", Anubis being one of note.  Believe in Dammy and Arix as much as you like.

As for dual kernel operating systems, Arix would be the first one in commercial existence They've been created in labs in the past but have never been successful due to inherent design problems and flaws.  So now you'd ask me to believe that Dammy and terminills are the first to deliver a successful dual kernel OS to the world?  That these two have somehow overcome all the inherent issues with dual kernel operating systems that teams of programmers around the word haven't been able to overcome?  Sorry, but that's not going to happen based on what they've shown to date nor based on Dammy's previous track record.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
@nicholas

I'm willing to accept facts about Arix, but no one is willing to provide any or maybe it's that they're not able to present any facts (due to NDAs, or lack of ability, etc, etc.).  I'm the world's ultimate skeptic, especially in light of claims made by Dammy in the past.  I actually hope that Arix is what some people are claiming it to be, but I want some proof!  A graphic without sources might be ok for some people here, but it will not be sufficient with me nor in a scholarly paper.  I will certainly take your advice and forget Dammy!  LOL!  At least I will try!

I've used Amithlon in the past and it was the bomb! (That's American vernacular for really cool!)  Stopped using it because the underlying linux kernel wasn't kept up-to-date with the latest hardware....i.e. 1MB RAM limits, dual core problems, etc...

If it's an Amithlon-like system with Aros binary compatibility, I welcome it!

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;753065
@ferrellsl

I may not know much about ARIX yet (and neither do you or anyone else outside "the loop"), but one thing I know for certain is that you have made a complete fool out of yourself in this thread, acting like a clown from the very beginning, making wild claims and accusations  when no info about it was known, and when real info is slowly starting to be released and when people with real life knowledge of the thing corrects you, you don't back down and stand corrected, no, you persist your claims like only a fool would.

:rant:

Why don't you just sit back and wait?

:confused:

Well, actually I HAVE sat back and waited, only to be shown nothing by the folks behind that ridiculous countdown timer.  How much longer do you suggest we all wait? And at least I've presented an argument while you insist on calling me names.  That's very weak in light of the fact that we were promised some answers when the countdown ended.  Show me some facts......

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;753058
You seem really to think you are right. I like ice cream btw. You are not very credible because you bashed on it from first minute and then continued to do so. When there are all informations you can still critisize but not from first minute.

you claim that it is a linux app looking like AROS running on it. So when we look at it there is Poseidon, AHI and other amiga-components, on the screenshot there is the DOpus Magellan icon. All are Linux apps? Explain that with or without master degree...

The ones lacking credibility are Dammy and terminills and I'm sorry if that offends you.  They promised to show us something new and groundbreaking after enduring a lengthy countdown timer.  I think we deserve some answers to our questions but so far all we get is silence.  And based on Dammy's past performance I have a right to be skeptical and critical of his claims.  Again, sorry if that offends you and others, but it's my right to be skeptical here....what better place to be skeptical than at Amiga.org after all the previous scams and failures of the past.