Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: external peripherals for a2000  (Read 1440 times)

Description:

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
external peripherals for a2000
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
Dear Friends:

Can you give me a list of the best external peripherals for an amiga 2000 ?
For graphics, music, etc.
I for example would like to know more about stuff like the 'dctv'.
And/or any external devices which could augment my amiga 2000.
Also external storage devices, like an external HDD.
Thank you !!!
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline SACC-guy

Re: external peripherals for a2000
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Quote from: rednova;769458
Dear Friends:

Thank you !!!
so many...
gvp glock (genlock)
several audio external, perfect sound, DSS8
things like parnet cables...
boxes for scsi hard drives
boxes for scsi cd drives

good stereo speakers

as far as ext devices go, the list is hugh

m

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »
Quote from: rednova;769458
Dear Friends:

Thank you !!!

Only external devices?  There are a great many devices for the A2000 (or any Amiga) which connect to the Parallel or Serial Ports, Mouse & Joystick 9pin ports, and if you happen to have an accelerator card in your A2000 that provides an external SCSI connector, the list of external devices will grow much larger, such as external HDD as you mentioned, plus external ZIP Optical drives and Jaz drives from Iomega.

I would visit the Big Book of Amiga Hardware to look through all of the devices that might interest you, but since you own the biggest desktop case Amiga ever made (not counting any of the tower cases, or tower conversions), I would think that you can find internal ZorroII cards that might be better than many of the external device choices, so unless you have already filled up all of your ZorroII slots, an internal Sound Card would be a better choice than an external Sound device connected to either the Parallel, or Serial Port.  Same goes for Graphics devices, since inside the A2000 they could be connected to the Video Slot, which has signals that are not available externally on the A2000.

All of that being said, if you are interested in a DCTV, or GVP 8+ Sound device, I have a spare of each of them that I could sell to you.  The DCTV was one of the first things I bought to add to my A2000 way back when, and it has some nice, fairly unique features and software, including a slow scan video digitizer that I had fun with importing pictures of my kids into several paint programs on my A2000.

One external device that may not get mentioned is the electronic piano keyboard and software for teaching how to play the piano called the Miracle Piano, or something like that.  It connects to the Serial Port and was pretty good for beginners at teaching the basics.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Hi:
I am too lazy to check my a2000 now, but I think I have a SCSI card inside that allows
to hook up external SCSI devices onto the amiga.
Would it be possible to hook SCSI hdd or storage devices into the SCSI port ?
Please help me !!!
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
Quote from: rednova;769560
Hi:
I am too lazy to check my a2000 now, but I think I have a SCSI card inside that allows
Please help me !!!
@red
easy answer... YES!
some basic items to think about scsi "sees" its devices by id (numbers 0-7)
So, any external case with hard drive should be a different number then the one inside.

Another basic item, scsi likes to be terminated, so the last item on the daisy chain should be terminated.

Because of these basics, if you have a internal hard drive #6, you could attach a external cd drive as #1, and a rxternal hard drive as #2, even add a zip drive as #4,
as long as the last item is terminated.

m

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;769475
One external device that may not get mentioned is the electronic piano keyboard and software for teaching how to play the piano called the Miracle Piano, or something like that.  It connects to the Serial Port and was pretty good for beginners at teaching the basics.

Another option is a MIDI interface. Attached to the serial port, it allows connection of MIDI keyboards and/or synthesizers.

This combination offers very high quality sound, with as many voices as you can afford. software for music creation like Bars&Pipes is free and available in Classic and AmigaOS versions.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;769566
Another option is a MIDI interface. Attached to the serial port, it allows connection of MIDI keyboards and/or synthesizers.

This combination offers very high quality sound, with as many voices as you can afford. software for music creation like Bars&Pipes is free and available in Classic and AmigaOS versions.

An excellent suggestion!  I only suggested stuff I have direct experience with, and so far, I have not purchased or hooked up any instruments, or synthesizers via MIDI to an Amiga (not counting the mentioned Miracle Piano system), but would like to try your suggestions someday.  I think I remember seeing one or two MIDI devices designed to connect to an Amiga in my collection of Amiga gear.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;769572
An excellent suggestion!  I only suggested stuff I have direct experience with, and so far, I have not purchased or hooked up any instruments, or synthesizers via MIDI to an Amiga (not counting the mentioned Miracle Piano system), but would like to try your suggestions someday.  I think I remember seeing one or two MIDI devices designed to connect to an Amiga in my collection of Amiga gear.

I understand completely. When I get my hands on an Amiga, the MIDI interface is the first thing added. :)

Just a bit of information if anyone is wondering:
Most PC serial ports can not do the "unusual" baud rate required for MIDI. (31250). But classic Amigas and the X1000 have a more flexible baud rate generator.. So making a MIDI interface is really quite simple.
for MIDI OUT only, you can do it with two resistors.. or one, but two is better form.
For MIDI In, a single, small chip (optocoupler) and a few resistors are all you need. So if anyone needs a MIDI interface and can't find one to buy, making it is a very reasonable "first project" in electronics.

And if you are on a AmigaOS PowerPC machine, we have a class compatible driver for USB to MIDI interfaces. These include single and multiple port devices, as well as many keyboards, synthesizers, and mixing consoles.
My own rig has an Edirol UM-880, which offers 8 MIDI IN and 8 MIDI OUT, along with a BCR2000 contrrol deck, which offers 1 in and 2 outs in addition to it's own controls.

MIDI gear is getting harder to find though.. as the sound cards of modern PCs improve, people are finding less demand for external synthesizers. On the bright side, used equipment can be found at very good prices at music stores like Guitar Center. I am VERY happy with my Yamaha MU90, and I have suggested it to a few others as well. It presents 32 instrument channels at once (2 MIDI outs). It does NOT have a built-in USB interface though.
I miss my old Roland D-110 though.. it had a classic sound to it.

Offline mechy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Quote from: rednova;769560
Hi:
Please help me !!!

You can run sysinfo and check boards, it will tell you what is inside.
Not to avoid your question,but the whole point of having a big box Amiga with a proper expansion bus is that you could fit much stuff inside.

Assuming you wanted external scsi,you would need a Scsi case with power supply to house the external drive with a external cable,and as SaccGuy said,termination and device numbers will have to be set.

The Scsi controller is usually device 7(in all but special circumstances),leaving you with 0-6 for drives and such. In the case of having internal and external drives, both ends of the scsi bus must be terminated,and devices in between (including the controller) must not be terminated.

It sounds a bit complicated,but it really isn't,you just have to get over your fear of hardware ;) Its quite fun tinkering!

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »
@amigadave
I connected my miracle piano using a midi adapter.
Grin) This saved my family peace and quiet. I'll tell you the whole story at AmiWest.

Michael