Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Gathering in Second Life  (Read 19434 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
Re: Amiga Gathering in Second Life
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Uhm, I don't get the navigation on the virtual party website. What is the exact time and location of the party? Please specify the timezone as well.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
I am for it.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline lsmart

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;568581
I too see it as IRC but with eye candy and good live DJ's ... what's not to like about it?  I've never understood the whole anti SL 'sadville' thing *shrug*

When I am in IRC I usually talk about the same things and write about myself. In SL it is very tempting to talk more about the fictional or virtual life of your AV, Artwork in SL and the people who created it. In fact, I hated it when people asked me about RL! But there were others that used it like IRC, some used their land like homepages... And yes, there is the disco-folks too. Very diverse community.

But the place is pretty much deserted now. Many ambitious guys couldn´t afford the rent and so the best islands vanished and took part of the crowd with them.

Some pople who are much into building things joined the "open simulator" project, which uses the same kind of servers with a different twist and far less costly - but you have to be willing to invest some time and are talking to a much smaller audience.

Offline illy5603

• Show only replies by illy5603
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
When there is an Amiga meetup in EVE online, let me know...

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
I went looking for the dark places of Second Life and got scarred for life. Those horses...*shudder*.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »
Wait, second life is still going?

Blimey. I never really understood the draw, tbh.
int p; // A

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 11:24:52 PM »
They let you put on funny clothes and fly around.  A lot of people are into that.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline tone007

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
I switched my laptop into NVidia mode to run the Second Life, and there's not a single person in IBM land!

..and now the laptop is starting to smell like burning hair.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline whiteb

• Show only replies by whiteb
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Quote from: tone007;568671
They let you put on funny clothes and fly around.  A lot of people are into that.

I had my own experience in that 'Game'.

I logged on to see what the fuss was about, got invited to a party somewhere, I still had not mastered the controls (Yes, even simple walking), the Dance owner said "You are bumping in to people, stop it or I kick you"

So I logged out, and deinstalled the software :)
A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline ValisTopic starter

• Show only replies by Valis
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
Quote from: tone007;568676
I switched my laptop into NVidia mode to run the Second Life, and there's not a single person in IBM land!

..and now the laptop is starting to smell like burning hair.

I don't think I have ever seen anybody in the IBM China area either.  It is free to use and since it is deserted that is why I thought it would be a good place to meet.

@all

SecondLife is a just a software tool like IRC or a Web browser.  And again this about getting ready and getting use to the software so we have more people prepared for the Demo Party in August.

As far as the comments on SecondLife itself all I can say is that I guess it is like the rest of the Internet.  IRC, WWW, Usenet and things.   If you go to IRC and go into an Amiga channel chances are things will be what you expect.  If you just join random IRC channels you are probably going to find things you never ever wanted to find, know, read, or hear.  Same with the Web.  You go to Amiga.org, Slashdot, Google, and you get what you expect.  Think of all the strange bizarre things that are on the Web.  Yet we are all still here and unaffected by most of the crazy stuff out there. If you start going to strange Web sites and random places chances are you will find things that will fry your retinas.  :eek:

My experience in SecondLife is much more limited then some I'm sure.  The University I attended had it's own virtual campus in Second Life and I had a class that was totally in SL.  About 40 people and obviously very professional.  I've used it as tool to do meetings with people.   I've never really just explored people's random sites(islands) or even talked to strangers in SecondLife.

It all depends on how you use the tool, just like the web.  SecondLife offers IRC type communication and free Voice over internet communication in groups.  The big bennefits for the Demo Party are the ability to display art in a gallery type form, stream Demo music compilations, and the big one stream Video to a group of us in real time.  

I think this will be fun and looks like we have quite a few people interested.  Hopefully all will join in for a little fun!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
Outside of going to school in SL, this would give me a fun reason to be there.
Most of the time I do not even log on.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 02:59:27 AM »
There are only two things to do in SL: taunt Prokofy Neva, and launch peniscopters at Anshe Chung press conferences.

And you can do the first one without using Second Life.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 03:06:25 AM »
Are they near the shops where they sell A-Eon widgets?  

Quote from: odin;568668
I went looking for the dark places of Second Life and got scarred for life. Those horses...*shudder*.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline lsmart

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »
Quote from: Valis;568689
About 40 people and obviously very professional.

40 people is already a large group in SL. Go to a 100 and it sometimes starts to get real slow.

Quote from: Valis;568689
The big bennefits for the Demo Party are the ability to display art in a gallery type form, stream Demo music compilations, and the big one stream Video to a group of us in real time.  

If voice wasn´t as important (I prefer typing in SL) then you could of course serve those needs equally well by going to sites like Ustream or Make.tv, right?

Anyways, I like the idea of an SL-Amiga party and will certainly try to attend, if I happen to have the time. So, where and when?

Offline ValisTopic starter

• Show only replies by Valis
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;568720
Anyways, I like the idea of an SL-Amiga party and will certainly try to attend, if I happen to have the time. So, where and when?

Well I'm thinking maybe we could make it Sundays at 7pm London time.  (Avoiding GMT as daylight saving times always messed me up)

I'm probably not available tomorrow, but would be able to be there next Sunday.  Not that I need to be there.  (You can of course log on and look around and maybe run into other Amiga users when ever.  Just like irc.)

I'm thinking this time choice will avoid any conflicts with the weekly IRC chat that happens about 8 hours later on Sunday.

If anyone has better suggestions for time let me know.  
As far as location I suggest this site,
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/IBM%20China%20BIC/120/188/30

So once you install the free client you can use that link to take you to the area where we meet.  

As far as when and where the Demo Party is in August, I'm not sure.  I don't think it has been announced, but http://virtuamigaparty.xooit.fr/index.php is the place to check.   If you have any mod making skills or drawing skills and things I think they are glad to except contributions for the Demo Party.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 03, 2010, 09:43:14 PM »
Sunday evening's fine with me. Probably won't make it tomorrow either though.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD