Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Gathering in Second Life  (Read 19390 times)

Description:

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga Gathering in Second Life
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Uhm, I don't get the navigation on the virtual party website. What is the exact time and location of the party? Please specify the timezone as well.

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;568581
I too see it as IRC but with eye candy and good live DJ's ... what's not to like about it?  I've never understood the whole anti SL 'sadville' thing *shrug*

When I am in IRC I usually talk about the same things and write about myself. In SL it is very tempting to talk more about the fictional or virtual life of your AV, Artwork in SL and the people who created it. In fact, I hated it when people asked me about RL! But there were others that used it like IRC, some used their land like homepages... And yes, there is the disco-folks too. Very diverse community.

But the place is pretty much deserted now. Many ambitious guys couldn´t afford the rent and so the best islands vanished and took part of the crowd with them.

Some pople who are much into building things joined the "open simulator" project, which uses the same kind of servers with a different twist and far less costly - but you have to be willing to invest some time and are talking to a much smaller audience.

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »
Quote from: Valis;568689
About 40 people and obviously very professional.

40 people is already a large group in SL. Go to a 100 and it sometimes starts to get real slow.

Quote from: Valis;568689
The big bennefits for the Demo Party are the ability to display art in a gallery type form, stream Demo music compilations, and the big one stream Video to a group of us in real time.  

If voice wasn´t as important (I prefer typing in SL) then you could of course serve those needs equally well by going to sites like Ustream or Make.tv, right?

Anyways, I like the idea of an SL-Amiga party and will certainly try to attend, if I happen to have the time. So, where and when?

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
Re: Important notice
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
Quote from: persia;641820
Is second life still going?  Reminds me of farmville in facebook...

SL has lost many of its active users by now. So in most respects it is like IRC. Still going, but not very useful unless you want to talk to random strangers.

Facebook and farmville are something for people who really aren´t into computers and always have to look at the keyboard to find the "any key" (hint: Lamers!).

Offline lsmart

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »
The building is gone. Guess this means there will be no meetings of Amiga-Fans in SL in the near future?

I think one problem of meeting Amigans in SL is that there really is no way to participate in SL if your main computer is an Amiga. They should make a text only or 2D client. Which would be great for cellphones too.