Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE  (Read 4988 times)

Description:

Offline SteveHTopic starter

• Show only replies by SteveH
[SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE
« on: July 10, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »
I thought I'd finally take the plunge and update my X1000 backup partition from OS4.1FE to the current version, update 4. I realise I first need to upgrade to update 1 but when I have done this (using the archive on Hyperion's site), I get a Grim Reaper telling me that "HID keyboard" has generated an unknown error (task 0x626b2b30). Although I can see WB, and the WB clock is running, neither the keyboard nor the mouse is responsive, so I am unable to do anything other than do a hard re-set (and boot into my normal partition).
Any thoughts on what's causing the error or what I need to check in order to fix it?
Steve
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:36:53 AM by SteveH »

Offline nbache

Re: Problem upgrading to OS4.1 update 1
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »
I would start by comparing the files in the two partitions, especially Kickstart/usbsys.device and Kickstart/usbresource.library plus the uhci/ohci/ehci ones, and then everything in Devs/USB/*/. If you find one that is different in the two partitions, try copying the one from your working partition over to the other one (after renaming the one you have, just in case).

If this doesn't do it, a serial log might give some clues; I don't know if you are able to capture one?

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 11:36:26 PM »
I would start by comparing the files in the two partitions, ...
If this doesn't do it, a serial log might give some clues; I don't know if you are able to capture one?
I've already compared files on the back-up partition with the files on the boot CD but can find no differences :(
Yes, serial logging is next - I just need to fetch down a Linux box from upstairs.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
OK, serial log attached - not sure whether it helps!
Steve

Offline nbache

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
Well, it at least seems to confirm something spooky is going on with USB and the HID stuff.

But why it is doing it, I can't tell.

If you have more space available on the drive, maybe you should make another partition and try installing all the way - FE from CD, then update1 (manually, not via AmiUpdate!), then update2 and whatever else AmiUpdate offers at that point, bit by bit. Hopefully you'll be able to get through it that way - it has worked for many others, myself included.

You don't happen to have a very special keyboard or mouse, do you? If so, try replacing them (at least temporarily) with more simple standard ones.

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »
Well, it at least seems to confirm something spooky is going on with USB and the HID stuff ... You don't happen to have a very special keyboard or mouse, do you? If so, try replacing them (at least temporarily) with more simple standard ones.
Thanks for checking the log output. The keyboard and mouse are both "official" AmigaONE ones that came with my X1000.
There's nothing on the backup partition I need, so I think I'll reinstall from scratch on to that.
Steve

Offline nbache

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »
Maybe it would be good if you made a complete backup of the backup partition before you reformat it, then you could compare e.g. with DirDiff afterwards so we might get a clue which file(s) were causing it?

Best regards,

Niels

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 04:14:37 PM »
Maybe it would be good if you made a complete backup of the backup partition before you reformat it, then you could compare e.g. with DirDiff afterwards so we might get a clue which file(s) were causing it?
An excellent suggestion - I will do that.
Thanks,
Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 03:22:24 PM »
I have finally got around to re-installing OS4.1FE onto a re-formatted partition DH1: (SFS/02) but, annoyingly, a similar error message appears on boot-up ("Guru Meditation 00088035, Task 0x62635190 'hid.usbfd' generated an error of type unknown at address 0x02003a98") and again locks up keyboard and mouse.
Could some libraries from my working partition DH0: somehow be getting called when I'm booting from DH1:?
Steve

Re: Problem installing OS4.1FE [WAS Problem upgrading to OS4.1 update 1]
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
OK, so I've checked that all the files in the Kickstart drawer of DH1: are indeed from the OS4.1FE installation CD, and that - given the error concerns USB - that all the files in DH1:devs/USB are the correct version (they are).
Any ideas how to investigate further?

Offline walkero

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, have you tried to boot with no usb connected and then connect them and see if there is a crash? Also, how do you connect them with the amiga? Do you use any kind of hub, or directly at the back of the machine? Have you tried other keyboard and mouse to see if they work?

The following users thanked this post: SteveH

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 05:52:58 PM »
Just out of curiosity, have you tried to boot with no usb connected and then connect them and see if there is a crash? Also, how do you connect them with the amiga? Do you use any kind of hub, or directly at the back of the machine? Have you tried other keyboard and mouse to see if they work?
Good suggestion :)
If I try to boot with no USB devices connected, then the system boots fine, but as soon as I plug either the mouse or keyboard back in (directly into the back of the machine, no hub), then the error message appears on screen and the system is unresponsive - the OS doesn't crash as the clock is still working, but obviously without a responsive mouse or keyboard I can't do anything.
I don't have other keyboards or mice to hand; I do use the "official" A-EON AmigaONE keyboard and mouse, which work fine on my other partitions. It suggests to me that the USB drivers are the problem, but they're the same ones as on the boot CD, and that works fine when I boot directly from it, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
Steve

[SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
I have now managed to install OS4.1FE to my back-up partition! I finally worked out the problem lay with my CFE configuration - after checking the CFE Guide, I realised I was missing the line
Code: [Select]
setenv os4_bootdevice "auto" which, as the Guide correctly points out: "Without this setting, 'amigaboot.of' will typically load the 'kickstart' modules from the choice selected by the user, but it will continue booting from the highest priority AmigaOS partition found. This unusual behavior ... will lead to unpredictable results for normal use."
No idea how or when the variable got deleted, but now all is working fine and I have brought my back-up partition up to date with FE4.1 update 2.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Steve

Offline nbache

Re: [SOLVED] Problem installing OS4.1FE
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 12:25:15 PM »
Congratulations on working that out! I'd never (well, probably) have guessed that was the cause, maybe because on all my machines (except the newest, the X5k), I still use the older method with BootDevice files in each Kickstart to point it explicitly towards the device I want.

But then there must be some differences between the system (the parts that get loaded after Kickstart) on the boot partition you wanted to use and the one which had (has) the highest boot priority. I wonder what they are, as it seems from your earlier comparisons they are not directly related to the USB files.

Best regards,

Niels

The following users thanked this post: SteveH