Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 3.2 released  (Read 41726 times)

Description:

Offline Steady

Re: Amiga OS 3.2 released
« on: May 17, 2021, 01:52:12 AM »
@TribbleSmasher

U.S. English is still the default language.

For that language and assuming you don't need a SuperKickstart, you would need the following floppies:

Install
Workbench
Extras
Classes
Fonts
Storage
GlowIcons (only if you are going to install GlowIcons)
DiskDoctor (not required but it is good to have this bootable disk on hand. It is much better than the original DiskDoctor)
Locale
MMULibs (if you have 68030 or higher and you don't already have the manufacturer's version of 680x0.library).
Backdrops

You will also need the modules disk for your machine ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT USING A 3.2 ROM.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:53:16 AM by Steady »

Offline Steady

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 01:28:32 AM »
8. I included Backdrops because I couldn't remember if it was asked for regardless. In the FAQ it is also not listed as optional, so for that reason I recommend making an ADF of that too.

Update: I just checked. The install will ask for Backdrops so you'll need to write that out to floppy too if you want to install using real floppies.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:42:24 AM by Steady »

The following users thanked this post: TribbleSmasher

Offline Steady

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 01:31:20 AM »
The Open Volume menu item is handy when you want to open a volume but the screen is crowded with windows that you will need to move to get to the icons. It removes that pain. OS4 has it too and I personally find it handy to have.

Beyond Execute Command and About, there is not much muscle memory to worry about with the Workbench menu.

Offline Steady

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 01:43:14 AM »
The off-screen dragging must be activated. It is not on by default.

Activate it by selecting the "Can move Off-screen" checkbox in the IControl preferences.

Offline Steady

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 02:34:05 AM »
Right, though so. That’s one aspect of “hide volume” in Workbench prefs that I really don’t like, it goes too far. Typically it is used to remove clutter from the root desktop, but it also makes it impossible to open a Workbench window of the volume or any of its sub-drawers at all.

I disagree. It is not just about tidying up the Workbench screen, but also removing Volumes/Devices from being selected where it makes no sense to do so. To just remove it from the Workbench and not the menu would be incomplete.

And before you say it, yes, it should still be available from the CLI because that is a Workbench option, not system-wide.