Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android  (Read 9075 times)

Description:

Offline cameng

• Show all replies
Re: Android
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:08:37 AM »
Quote from: runequester;698595
out of curiosity, what are you missing in the current breed of android phones?

Missing having a web browser that operates the same as desktop. Also it is a worry when you turn on wifi hotspot (The best thing about my Android phones) and the desktop web pages load quicker than your phone. Although my new galaxy sIII is quite quick but a a little to Iphoneish, I had to search for every thing, where as my HTC Desire was much more straight forward.

Yes I know its only the interface but a good interface can hide some flaws in the OS, worked for windows:)

Missing a good emulator, surely a phone or tablet is quicker than an "atom" processor by now?
:drink:

Offline cameng

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »
Quote from: djos;698647
No, after having a HTC Sensation (rooted and plenty of ICS installs tested) for 6 months I went and bought an iPhone 4s! Droid has some nice features but to me it just feels like a cheap unfinished Chinese knock off!

I guess when buying a mobile phone with Android or ios it is sometimes like a lucky dip in terms of getting reliability. The quality is nice in the Iphone. The missus has the iphone 4 and I sugested for her to get it, mostly for use with Itunes and social networking, where i use mine for business.

Yes the others do look cheap in comparison. If Android phone manafacturers steered away from trying to copy the IPhone they would have a much better phone than the IPhone could ever be.

We don't want to live in a world of Microsoft VS Apple so I hope Android lifts its game. We need creative freedom.

Offline cameng

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
Quote from: desiv;698787
Similarity != copying..

That being said, I think everyone copies everyone else...

iOS is fairly nice..

Android should be better..

And what the world needs now, is love sweet love...

;-)

desiv

Well Said

The ultimate question of the universe and everthing shouln't be "Android or iOS?" it should be "rum or bourban?":pint:

Offline cameng

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;698711
Why is that a worry? It makes perfect sense. The cpu in your phone is doing less work and your laptop is faster. Would you be happier if they artificially slowed everything down when the phone was used as a hotspot?

Most routers run linux, installing a web browser on one and using xterm to connect to it wouldn't give you a great experience either.

I'm not saying that android is brilliant, but for the cost of a mid range phone it's good enough for what I need. An iphone wouldn't be a better phone for me and it's alot more expensive.

Edit: actually mentioning hotspot was a my bad. I was compairing phones using my home wifi network. Old phone Slower than netbook, New phone about same speed as i7 Laptop. Yes prob Just Faster Processor in New phone, but maybe Android software update, hard to put things on an even playing feild sometimes. The web experience is getting better and after all it is just a phone, pretty amazing though!

Offline cameng

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:46 AM »
Quote from: JJ;698718
never thought I would say this, and I have had enough "discussions" with bloodline over the years, but I live my iPhone 4.  I think iOS is a really good polished OS.  I always thought everyhting being lockes down and uniform would be an issue, its not.

It means everyhting does just work , the same and as expected.  I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality. This needs to change.

RIM do not make good phones/OS.  If it was not for every compnay in the world giving them to their staff to check emails, they would have long gone.

I used to work for a privately owned company that gave all the relevant people Iphones. I would say for those same reasons. Hard enough to train people at the best of times, standardization makes it easier.

The only complaint they had was that they felt like they never left work, with bosses expecting every one to answer emails out side of work hours.

When the new iphone was advertised I thought it could clean the house and put out the washing, but the opposite happened, the missus plays with her new iphone so much now I'm always cleaning the house and putting out the washing:laugh1: