Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: for the record  (Read 6847 times)

Description:

Offline amigakit

Re: for the record
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 22, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
@wawrzon

If that happens then pmail a moderator querying it.  I have not noticed it or had anyone bring it to my attention.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;773665
hmmm. i approved that thread, so not sure why it's closed. anyway -- i just reopened it. :)

Thanks, I appreciate the gesture.

But the more important question (which is not directed at you, obviously) would be why it was closed, and why my inquiries regarding this are being ignored, both in this thread and the thread I opened four weeks ago.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;773678
@wawrzon

If that happens then pmail a moderator querying it.  I have not noticed it or had anyone bring it to my attention.

as i say, given my experience with the moderation here and on aw.net, since the same staff covers both sites in the meantime, i dont think it is worth to get into lengthy pm arguments

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
@wawrzon

only a couple of mods also moderate at AWN. regardless -- please do PM me (or whichever mod with which you feel most comfortable) when this happens. if someone removes a post, there is a message that mods can see indicating who did it and when. that way i (or whomever) can look into what is going on.

you're gonna have to trust at least one of us with this kind of info if we're going to figure out why this is happening. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline amigakit

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
@Wawrzon

Pmail me with it then or other mods of your choice.

@cgutjahr

Completely missed your thread from a few weeks ago.  Maybe instead of opening a thread it would be better to get the mods attention by pmailing ?

Offline amigakit

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
After just reviewing what you originally posted as news item, I do not think think that this is worthy to be approved as a news release.  It should be just a forum discussion thread.  

We are trying to raise the standards of news items here and encourage them as more formal press releases.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;773686
We are trying to raise the standards of news items here and encourage them as more formal press releases.

That is an oxymoron... There are unfortunately few if not many "Amiga" companies trying to promote their "news" with formal press releases which make them look like clowns.

@eliyahu

If users can trust moderators and site owners or other moderators don't know what is going on.... How can you let site run like this? Should not you communicate with each other? Apparently every moderator is having his own opinion what is good and bad and some just lose their temper. Looks like owners don't care anymore.

Maybe they run their shop like this, too.

(Edit: this site is front end to AmigaKit store. Think that.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:39:17 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;773686
We are trying to raise the standards of news items here

Obviously.

After just reviewing what you originally posted as news item, I do not think think that this is worthy to be approved as a news release.

I do think that a poll which ended up collecting 850 votes is newsworthy, but I'll admit that this is debatable - e.g. an AW moderator refused to post it as news for the same reason you just mentioned.

But there are several problems here:

1. There was no explanation given. On AW, I got a PM from the moderator. I didn't agree with the reasoning, but at least I knew what was going on - and it's their site to run, after all.

2. Given the poll's topic, you're the very last person who should make such a call.

3. I still don't know why the thread was closed and by whom. If it's not newsworthy, move it to a different forum. Why close it?

Quote from: amigakit;773685

Maybe instead of opening a thread it would be better to get the mods attention by pmailing ?

I still don't know which moderator closed the thread, I would have had to PM a random mod? Besides, the forum I used is called "Amiga.org Discussion and Site Feedback", I assumed that's what it was intended for.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:31:14 PM by cgutjahr »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;773683
@wawrzon

you're gonna have to trust at least one of us with this kind of info if we're going to figure out why this is happening. :)

-- eliyahu

if it was an isolated example or an oversight, but most obviously it is a regular policy, which i consider a waste of time to argue against.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
@cgutjahr

I hear what you are saying.  Please remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.  This website has been left unchecked for quite some years, so it will take time to build standards back up.  You are right: an explanation to you should have been forthcoming at the time.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
@cgutjahr

Its my opinion that we should be aiming to get the new releases here to the quality standards of the documents at amiga-news.de

After all these years passed at Amiga.org, I know in the future that it will take time to encourage the users submitting the news releases to do so in a standard quality news format.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »
@cgutjahr

I no longer own Amiga.org, you can end your one man witch hunt against me anytime.

:(

Trolling against me just makes you look silly. Don't make it so obvious.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »
"2. Given the poll's topic, you're the very last person who should make such a call."
:)

I was thinking the same thing...

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
ooooooooooooooooooooooooor He's the right person to make the call because he owns the site.  The complaints you all are making are understandable but but the way you are presenting them comes off argumentative at best and demeaning and subversive at worst.

On the note of the, "I'm only sharing my opinion" defense, remember the opinions can still break TOS and will be dealt with as such.  Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it is also their responsibility to share it within TOS and common decency.

Seriously, if someone is saying or doing something that is getting you worked up so much that your response could land you in hot water, remember two things.

1. Whatever they are doing could very well be breaking TOS

and

2. Take a break and calm down before you respond (If you respond)

So examine what they are saying for the thing and check yourself for the second.  By doing this you will steer clear of the ban hammer and avoid issues with the mods...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:22 AM »
Seems to be a cosmic alignment, of micro storms in teacups, around here the last few days...

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »
Does it make you feel like a big man when you wave the banhammer around and jabber about how big and impressive it is, J-Golden? Do you get a little thrill deep inside when you prance around like a hyperactive collie telling those sheep what's what? Do you feel like it's such a big accomplishment that you go around starting threads about it so everyone can appreciate how mighty you are?

Screw it, I'm out of here. A whole succession of owners have already run this site into the ground, the moderation seems to be getting increasingly arbitrary and possibly even kowtowing to one person's interests over the actual good of the community, and asking for any measure of assurance that there is still a fair and just system in place just gets you nasty looks, condescending lectures, and threats of the Dread Banhammer. Aorg is a shell of what it was even two years ago, to say nothing of what it used to be when I joined, and EAB, Lemon, and Amibay are all still out there for people who actually care more about the Amiga than about Amigakit. See ya 'round, guys.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup